Quantcast

Page 635 of 967 FirstFirst ... 135535585625631632633634635636637638639645685735 ... LastLast
Results 9,511 to 9,525 of 14503

Thread: Paprium: The Official Thread Mk 2

Quote Originally Posted by Zebbe View Post
    The 6 button controllers are hard to find and expensive in Sweden, so getting fresh new ones is great.
    Also they never came in blue. Like come on. Blue!
    556 552 557 279 725

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingOutrunner Stifu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Eep386 View Post
    That's partly why I get miffed with lazy emulator authors who insist on using outdated emulation cores
    I'm confused. Aren't emulators and emulation cores basically the same thing, except the latter is libretro vocabulary?
    I'm not sure who's holding onto outdated stuff, but probably not emulator authors.

Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by Stifu View Post
    I'm confused. Aren't emulators and emulation cores basically the same thing, except the latter is libretro vocabulary?
    I'm not sure who's holding onto outdated stuff, but probably not emulator authors.
    I guess you could have a Genesis emulator running an inaccurate 68k core? Not sure anything meets that description, maybe the AtGames clones?

Quote Originally Posted by axel View Post
    I wasn't crazy about the art style at first but when everything is in motion it does look pretty good, I would buy that on Steam.
    Will there be a physical Genesis cartridge release ?
    Hardware conversion Megadrive should be a shared expectation of many Sega fans.

Quote Originally Posted by tbp View Post
    First time I hear this. I highly doubt it. If it was the case, they'd have advertised it.

Technically, it looks nothing like a Mega Drive game. High resolution, loads of colors, loads of frames... They can't reuse anything for a Mega Drive version, they'd have to make 2 games in parallel. I have no reason to think they'd bother doing that.

Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by tbp View Post
    So basically, Streets of Rage 2?

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher nihilblack's Avatar

It'd be awesome to get Streets of Rage 4 on Mega Drive, but nope, they aren't doing it, it's impossible without remaking the entire game to adapt it (starting with every single sprite: from handrawn graphics to pixel art with a very limited palette).

Mega Driven Raging in the Streets cleeg's Avatar

Repros are a cash grab on the retro scene. New games like Xeno Crisis, Tanglewood are not, just not; they are loveletters to the era made by individuals who want to create a piece of art if you like. If you don't want to buy them, that's fine, but you can't call an apple a giraffe.

I have a filter, if I hadn't I'd buy every game under the sun, if you want to limit your collection to a set time frame, that's fine, it's a relevant way to do it. Just don't say something that's not true, because it sounds foolish.

Road Rasher

Quote Originally Posted by Stifu View Post
    First time I hear this. I highly doubt it. If it was the case, they'd have advertised it.

Technically, it looks nothing like a Mega Drive game. High resolution, loads of colors, loads of frames... They can't reuse anything for a Mega Drive version, they'd have to make 2 games in parallel. I have no reason to think they'd bother doing that.
    Since its dine by dotemu, i wouldnt be surprised if the game can change to classic pixelart on the fly, just like dragons trap. But genesis version is definitely not happening!

Quote Originally Posted by PreZZ View Post
    Since its dine by dotemu, i wouldnt be surprised if the game can change to classic pixelart on the fly, just like dragons trap. But genesis version is definitely not happening!
    That feature made sense for Dragon's Trap because it was a remake (just like The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition). In my opinion, it'd be a waste of time and money to do it for SoR 4. If people want to play the old SoR games, they still can.

Not sure what the actual term for the functions I was talking about is, I've heard FM emulators referred to as cores back in the dark ages of emulation. Guess it kind of stuck.
    The outdated emulators I was imminently referring to, are the pre-Nuked YM2612 OPN2 and YMF262 OPL3 emulation engines (huh, maybe that's the word, thunderbird!) from nasty older versions of MAME.
    Most reasonably updated emulators *cough* anything but typical mainstream builds of Gens *cough* use something that doesn't make ugly 'twip!twip!twip!' noises under games that use the GEMS driver at least.

@axel: An inaccurate 68K core would be a showstopper in most cases, though sometimes it's merely just annoying: Genecyst (one of my favorite Clinton-era emulators) had some interesting glitches with Super Fantasy Zone, which glitched up the selection in the options menu.
    Oh, and for the record, AtGames stuff is usually junk anyway, but they are useful for scrapping for their cartridge connectors etc.
    Last edited by Eep386; 06-05-2019 at 02:14 PM.

The outdated emulators I was imminently referring to, are the pre-Nuked YM2612 OPN2 and YMF262 OPL3 emulation engines (huh, maybe that's the word, thunderbird!) from nasty older versions of MAME.
    I don't know the details, but then I guess the problem comes from whoever keeps pushing those outdated versions, not the guys behind MAME. People tend to hold onto older MAME versions because they have lower spec requirements, which is welcome on weak machines.

Core in this case refers to the emulation code itself (as opposed to e.g. the interface and such). That said, if you're making an emulator then you're likely making your own cores as well, hence the whole thing about "outdated cores" coming out as weird. Reusing existing cores is not as common (although sometimes happens), at least on Mega Drive's case.

@axel: An inaccurate 68K core would be a showstopper in most cases, though sometimes it's merely just annoying: Genecyst (one of my favorite Clinton-era emulators) had some interesting glitches with Super Fantasy Zone, which glitched up the selection in the options menu.
    Are you sure that was a 68000 bug? I remember that Genecyst had some issues when emulating the 6-button controller (on top of the usual problems some games have with it).

Though Genecyst seemed to have a tendency to struggle with 3D games and end up running an invalid instruction and crash. Also, the infamous Sonic Jam 6 issue with the lakitu (which seemed to plague emulators back then, I think Gens may have been the first one to fix the issue?).

Outrunner

If were talking f***tards, then not buying a homebrew/indie title because its not officially licensed by Sega seems to me to be far more f***tardish than simply buying a homebrew/indie title to play.

Thread Information