Quantcast

Page 748 of 959 FirstFirst ... 248648698738744745746747748749750751752758798848 ... LastLast
Results 11,206 to 11,220 of 14379

Thread: Paprium: The Official Thread Mk 2

Raging in the Streets goldenband's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Barone View Post
    That's for collectors.
    I'd gently disagree with you on that -- they've got a fairly active section for gaming, and are pursuing various projects along the lines of our "Can Sega-16 beat..." Another member is doing comprehensive reviews of the entire SNES library, and several of the Twitch people playing through every game in the NES/SNES/Game Boy/N64 library have been on board there.

Obviously as the descendant of NintendoAge et al. it's definitely more collect-y than Sega-16. But there's more gameplay going on there than one might think, and the takeover of the old site by RetroCollect may have helped to push the site away from that sort of thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Barone View Post
    2020 Sega-16 forum is a shadow of what this forum once was and for a lot of reasons.
    Some of the former active members which were hardcore modders and CRT collectors are now active in Facebook groups.
    Developers and hackers discuss on discord now.
    News are mostly shared on Twitter.
    [...]
    Most Sega-16 active members don't play Mega Drive games nor discuss about them and much less have anything insightful to say about Sega games in general.
    If we are campaigning to shutdown this thread due to its stupidity and negativism, I'd strongly recommend shutting down the cancerous and troll-filled Off Topic section first.
    Would rep you if I could. I've been told by more than one person that they didn't join Sega-16 because of the stuff they saw in Off Topic. That section no longer serves any positive purpose for the site.

More generally, I'm a fan of robust moderation, because without that, the crazies and trolls always take over -- they've got unlimited time on their hands, and normal/sane people don't. The past decade has only seen that problem get worse throughout the Internet.

It's been claimed that Sega-16's decline is due to the age of forums coming to an end, but some forums, like AtariAge, are still going pretty strong and haven't seen the same radical dropoff. (AtariAge also has a hard ban on politics and religion, which helps.) And interest in 8- and 16-bit gaming is still strong as hell -- there's plenty happening on Twitch, and plenty of kids under 25 who love it.

As peido noted, the registration process is off-putting to new users, and doesn't always seem to work properly. I know Melf deeply resents comments about it, though. Perhaps fixing it simply isn't possible under the current hosting arrangement.

It'd be a funny, if sad, irony if the best thing Paprium did for the Genesis fan community was to start a scandal thread that helped keep this forum alive.

16-bits is all he needs Master of Shinobi matteus's Avatar

Definitely should be a ban on politics and religion it's a video game forum ffs. In fact ditch off topic totally!

Quote Originally Posted by matteus View Post
    Definitely should be a ban on politics and religion it's a video game forum ffs. In fact ditch off topic totally!
    Agreed. A retro gaming forum should be an escape from all that BS.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert Spendle's Avatar

I took a stroll over to the politics thread to see what the noise was about. Conclusions from my trip are:

1) It really needs to be closed as it's divisive and fractures an already dwindling Sega-16 community. Why would anyone want to join that? It also paints a negative picture of said community.

2) Sullivan is a classic troll and should be banned.

I really want to see admin step in here and get a grip on things.

Training-in-Hedgehog Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher tokay's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by axel View Post
    Pier Solar looks very impressive, because it has A+ sprite work, lots of colors
    To be honest, I never found Pier Solar to be visually impressive.
    It is kind of messy and sometimes I could not even tell what was supposed to be represented on screen.
    Playing Beyond Oasis again recently reminded me that there were already excellent GFX back in the day.
    Flink and Xeno Crisis also showcase excellent art, but we are talking about a god-tier pixel artist for these titles!

Quote Originally Posted by Arm View Post
    Piersolar and piersolar hd have been influencial because they exist since 2010 and 2014. Until now, paprium doesnt exist.

Paprium doesn't exist, but it was highly influential regardless of that.
    Please check out my YouTube channel

Wildside Expert

I still read this forum often, just don't have much to say. Really hope this place sticks around as its one of the best sources of sega information. I think so much anticipation was built up about Paprium/Project Y that it never could have lived up to the hype when released. My brother and I both pre-ordered and this whole debacle has left us not wanting to back any community projects like this anymore.

Wildside Expert

Quote Originally Posted by stika View Post
    Paprium doesn't exist, but it was highly influential regardless of that.
    What game did Paprium influence? Sorry but I don't see any new beat em up that was created because of paprium or which was actually influenced by it.
    Last edited by Arm; 11-11-2020 at 04:55 PM.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingOutrunner Stifu's Avatar

What game did Paprium influence? Sorry but I don't see any new beat em up that were created because of paprium or which were actually influenced by it.
    I don't think it influenced anything gameplay wise, but it made buyers less trusting, and pushed game makers to be more open to reassure buyers.

Wildside Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Stifu View Post
    I don't think it influenced anything gameplay wise, but it made buyers less trusting, and pushed game makers to be more open to reassure buyers.
    Oh I see. Yeah, it certainly influenced people, and not in a good way.

What game did Paprium influence? Sorry but I don't see any new beat em up that was created because of paprium or which was actually influenced by it.
    Xenocrisis and Tanglewood are two examples. The commercial success of Paprium's pre-orders, the positive media attention it garnered at first, the consumer interest. I think you're massively underselling how influential Paprium was

Quote Originally Posted by Stifu View Post
    well... that too
    Last edited by stika; 11-11-2020 at 05:05 PM.

Wildside Expert

Xenocrisis and Tanglewood are two examples. The commercial success of Paprium's pre-orders, the positive media attention it garnered at first, the consumer interest. I think you're massively underselling how influential Paprium was
    Maybe. I don't know about Xenocrisis but I think Matt would have created Tanglewood even without Paprium. But it's true it showed creators that a lot of people were willing to invest and preorder new MD games, at least back then.

Maybe. I don't know about Xenocrisis but I think Matt would have created Tanglewood even without Paprium. But it's true it showed creators that a lot of people were willing to invest and preorder new MD games, at least back then.
    To be fair, I do remember asking Matt directly if Paprium and Pier Solar were part of the reason that motivated him to to create Tanglewood for the Megadrive and if I could mention that in a video.

I don't remember his exact words, but he did say yes :P

Wildside Expert

To be fair, I do remember asking Matt directly if Paprium and Pier Solar were part of the reason that motivated him to to create Tanglewood for the Megadrive and if I could mention that in a video.

I don't remember his exact words, but he did say yes :P
    If you say so, I certainly believe you.

If you say so, I certainly believe you.
    Sorry if I sounded dry in my response, tottally not my intention, lol.

It's just I've been nurturing a massive headache today so I don't even feel like typing.

Thread Information