Quantcast

Page 838 of 960 FirstFirst ... 338738788828834835836837838839840841842848888938 ... LastLast
Results 12,556 to 12,570 of 14393

Thread: Paprium: The Official Thread Mk 2

It's called a Mega Drive Master of Shinobi Devil N's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SEGA-Jorge View Post
    Thanks Nihilblack! And thank you Devil N. for providing the link to the Map!
    No prob. I hadn't seen any high-res scans of the included map yet so I figured I might as well scan it in myself. It's already come in handy on my own playthroughs several times.

Quote Originally Posted by otobo View Post
    Thanks! Not sure why I thought it was you, maybe the black on Devil N.'s duck avatar? Devil/Nihil?
    I'm just that nihilistic a person I guess.

Wildside Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Kamon View Post
    Sorry to clog the thread up with posts about shipping but has anyone from the las Vegas shipment and is also overseas received their order? Anyone in Australia specifically?
    I'm in France, and expecting two US investor copies, one for IrishNinja, and another one for another American Sega Fan from the NeoGaf forum.
    The status still says that it's in the process of being shipped, but I suspect it has shipped already and the tracking number wasn't entered in the software.
    The package hasn't arrived yet.
    Shinobi - the name means stealth.

VA1LT CHIP ENABLED Master of Shinobi OverDrone's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kamon View Post
    Sorry to clog the thread up with posts about shipping but has anyone from the las Vegas shipment and is also overseas received their order? Anyone in Australia specifically?
    I'm in Aus mate, nothing here yet but of course I'll post as soon as that changes (and also the compatibility with my JP MD).

I went the standard postage option for some reason, so I'm sure I'll be the last person on the planet to receive mine tho 😅

I'm my experience stuff from the US takes around 10 days minimum with express/priority type mail.

Quote Originally Posted by Barone View Post
    I could go on and on talking about which tests, bug fixes, workaround info and customer service WM should have provided.
    But for people outside Europe and US, options such sending cartridges to be fixed and other pie-in-the-sky scenarios will not be feasible anyway (costs, risk of package loss and damages, taxes, etc).

So, IMHO, best case realistic scenario for the community is to find some dirty cheap Mega Drive mod that we can come up with, create a tutorial for and share with everyone.
    My hope is that Analogue will find some way to to make it compatible with the Mega SG in a future firmware update. All these workarounds are complete bullshit. The game doesn't work on my Mega SG or my model 1, and it looks like complete ass and has no sound on my model 2 (and that's with a $150 retrotink pro). Seriously, fuck Fonzie. 8 years to make a game that half the people who bought it can't play. This is inexcusable.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert zborgerd's Avatar

I got mine today. Beat the game on arcade mode hard. There is a big AI difficulty boost in the final stage but nothing that I couldn't handle. However, it tells me that the better AI is in there and that the game is designed to ease new players into it since it's actually a pretty huge game for the genre. Also played on original mode and noticed that there is a difficulty spike even where AI isn't concerned. SoR 2 has predictable AI for a lot of bosses. I don't really detect it as being much different here. Rondo in Central Park can 1-hit kill you if you let him so it seems like there is a certain method to using the blu drug. SoR 4 had far more "cheap" boss fights though. I saved mine all of the time except for the final battle in arcade mode, then spammed them a bit. I did get to Chinatown before taking a break because I knew I'd respawn on the new path if I deliberately died to get it to save. Wish it had a save and quit option.

Overall, it's clear to me that the game is designed more to keep people engaged to play through all of the paths and unlockabled rather than to try to make the game extremely hard at first which was typical of a lot of 90s games that were far shorter than this. I suspect that most people should just ignore easy mode unless they really are having trouble with hard mode or higher.

The game is stunning on an OSSC w/ RGB cables. It's up there among the best looking Genesis games and looks so much better than the captures would indicate. And the music is top notch. I do think that there is something up with the Daten hardware regarding graphics co-processing. Even the trolling mini game is lower quality w/o it. I first tried to play it on Mega SG and it didn't go through the normal boot routine where you select the language. Then hooked up the real Genesis and the boot was different. The minigame graphics also were improved. So I speculate that the game is designed not to run unless it determines if it's a real console. Would be interesting to know which sort of quirk they are exploiting in the real hardware to determine this.

More details regarding gameplay; The hitbox issues are overblown but there clearly are some. I was able to get in a perfect spot for a bit where I could hit the final boss in arcade mode, but he could not hit me (standing below him). He was walking toward the window corner and I was in a safe spot and avoiding contact. I stopped punching and it figured it out and finally moved into a spot where I could be hit. Not sure if it would have been the same on very hard or the alleged secret harder mode. Never the less, it's not game breaking at all. There are other technical quirks, like when you take a lift up or down to a new path you can essentially throw enemies through the floor if they are close enough to the edge. It seems to only be a thing in those areas from what I've observed.

The game seems to be designed for 6 button or 3 button controllers. A uses the blu pill, B is the attack, C jumps. You can manually block w/ X and use the alt attack with Y. I seem to recall that Z can be used to throw the weapon if you have one. I don't think that people have given the combat enough credit so far. The combo system flows very well (I only played as Tug). You can switch directions mid combo and attack people from behind. There is also a back attack rear fist you can do. Grab is easy to pull off though not all enemies will let you hang on when the AI ramps up. One thing that's not been noted is that you can grab and switch directions w/ C and effectively use enemies as a meat shield. Of course, you can throw them or just beat them to a pulp. But it really plays unlike any Genesis beat-em-up. To be honest, I sorta like the play better than SoR 2 but that is probably heresy around here. It seems like it's about the same difficulty level and the AI is honestly very similar as SoR 2 is. I can get to the final boss of SoR 2 without dying most of the time as well.

As a whole, I'm really enjoying it so far and frankly like it far better than SoR 4 and expect to put far more time into it, but I expect plenty of angry fans to disagree and weigh in. Seems like a lot more work just went into this game, and by a smaller team. It doesn't have chunky momma Blaze, drunken old homeless Axel, or weeby anime hair twin bosses to fight (Mr. / Ms. Y). But this is probably beat 'em up of the year, and only playable on the MD/Genesis.

Mine arrived with the loose Daten plate rattling around inside. Didn't help that the mail carrier tossed the box onto my front porch ("THUMP!")
    Last edited by zborgerd; 12-24-2020 at 06:45 PM.

Hero of Algol

Quote Originally Posted by Mask of Destiny View Post
    I've finished testing on all the systems I have. All are 60Hz and all are North American models except for the MD1 VA0 and Teradrive.

MD1 VA0: Works fine
    MD1 VA3: works fine
    MD1 VA6 serial B10003955: works fine
    MD1 VA6 rial 059013401 (uncertain if that first digit is a zero or O): freezes on the not licensed by Sega screen. This unit is a refurb (has a sticker stating it was reconditioned) which explains the 1995 serial number
    MD2 VA1 (3 different units): works fine
    MD2 VA2/2.3 (unsure which): works fine, had some weird audio glitching in a room or two, but I had never been in that area of the game before so unclear if it was a model-specific issue or not
    MD2 VA4: Sounded kind of crappy, but played fine
    MD3 VA2 (2 different units): Sounded even worse than the VA4, but played fine
    Teradrive: Freezes on black screen after the Teradrive's version of TMSS
    LaserActive: works fine, Sega CD functionality enabled, specifically identified as a LaserActive in the logo sequence with a MegaLD/LaserDrive logo

With the exception of the MD2 VA4, MD3s, the extra MD2 VA1s, the LaserActive and the consoles it doesn't work with, I played through a more or less complete "path" on each of these (sometimes ending in a game over on the last level) with no obvious issues. I haven't yet had a chance to try attaching a Sega CD or 32X to the non-working VA6.
    Thanks for all this info.
    Yes, Fonzie already support Mega LD with Mega Cart, so I'm not totally surprised that it works.

Quote Originally Posted by CrossBow View Post
    Well, I've been trying since my last post to capture this. I can capture the system and game play at the same time using two camera, that isn't the issue. The issue is that I haven't been able to replicate the situation where I've seen the SegaCD being accessed for a second or two during the game for now reason. I literally just played through two complete arcade sessions and two games on original and haven't seen it do it once! So I don't know if that was some odd glitch that was happening prior and since I've now removed the Genesis and plugged it back etc. if something has changed but I can't get that to occure again. The ONLY time I can get the light to appear briefly is if I press the MODE button as that triggers the player 2 start sequence but as soon as I let off the mode button the light goes off. So for all I know maybe I was just controller fumbling trying to figure out the moves on my first day of playing and was hitting the mode button by accident and not putting two and two together. So I guess scratch that off for now as being a thing.

If it does it again and I know it isn't something I'm doing, then I will be sure to try and capture it and post about it here.
    Thanks for reporting back.
    During exploratory tests and investigations like these, it's normal to observe some other issues that are not consistently reproducible.
    Don't worry.

Quote Originally Posted by Melf View Post
    My hope is that Analogue will find some way to to make it compatible with the Mega SG in a future firmware update. All these workarounds are complete bullshit. The game doesn't work on my Mega SG or my model 1, and it looks like complete ass and has no sound on my model 2 (and that's with a $150 retrotink pro). Seriously, fuck Fonzie. 8 years to make a game that half the people who bought it can't play. This is inexcusable.
    Sorry to hear that, Melf.
    Please, could you give us the serial number (it's located at the bottom of the mold) of both your Model 1 and Model 2 Genesis?
    For the model 1 Genesis, does it crash at the copyright screen?

Have you tried to combine any of those Genesis models with a Sega CD or 32X?

I'm asking because, while an infuriating situation, such info could help other people.

Regarding the Mega SG, yeah, it's really a shame that Fonzie didn't work with the Analogue prior to the release.

EDIT:
    Regarding the no audio issue you reported when using the Retrotink, there are many audio issues reported related to this product, so maybe this one is not Fonzie's fault:
    https://videogameperfection.com/foru...-retrotink-2x/
    Last edited by Barone; 12-24-2020 at 06:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by zborgerd View Post
    I got mine today. Beat the game on arcade mode hard. There is a big AI difficulty boost in the final stage but nothing that I couldn't handle. However, it tells me that the better AI is in there and that the game is designed to ease new players into it since it's actually a pretty huge game for the genre. Also played on original mode and noticed that there is a difficulty spike even where AI isn't concerned. SoR 2 has predictable AI for a lot of bosses. I don't really detect it as being much different here. Rondo in Central Park can 1-hit kill you if you let him so it seems like there is a certain method to using the blu drug. SoR 4 had far more "cheap" boss fights though. I saved mine all of the time except for the final battle in arcade mode, then spammed them a bit. I did get to Chinatown before taking a break because I knew I'd respawn on the new path if I deliberately died to get it to save. Wish it had a save and quit option.

Overall, it's clear to me that the game is designed more to keep people engaged to play through all of the paths and unlockabled rather than to try to make the game extremely hard at first which was typical of a lot of 90s games that were far shorter than this. I suspect that most people should just ignore easy mode unless they really are having trouble with hard mode or higher.

The game is stunning on an OSSC w/ RGB cables. It's up there among the best looking Genesis games and looks so much better than the captures would indicate. And the music is top notch. I do think that there is something up with the Daten hardware regarding graphics co-processing. Even the trolling mini game is lower quality w/o it. I first tried to play it on Mega SG and it didn't go through the normal boot routine where you select the language. Then hooked up the real Genesis and the boot was different. The minigame graphics also were improved. So I speculate that the game is designed not to run unless it determines if it's a real console. Would be interesting to know which sort of quirk they are exploiting in the real hardware to determine this.

More details regarding gameplay; The hitbox issues are overblown but there clearly are some. I was able to get in a perfect spot for a bit where I could hit the final boss in arcade mode, but he could not hit me (standing below him). He was walking toward the window corner and I was in a safe spot and avoiding contact. I stopped punching and it figured it out and finally moved into a spot where I could be hit. Not sure if it would have been the same on very hard or the alleged secret harder mode. Never the less, it's not game breaking at all. There are other technical quirks, like when you take a lift up or down to a new path you can essentially throw enemies through the floor if they are close enough to the edge. It seems to only be a thing in those areas from what I've observed.

The game seems to be designed for 6 button or 3 button controllers. A uses the blu pill, B is the attack, C jumps. You can manually block w/ X and use the alt attack with Y. I seem to recall that Z can be used to throw the weapon if you have one. I don't think that people have given the combat enough credit so far. The combo system flows very well (I only played as Tug). You can switch directions mid combo and attack people from behind. There is also a back attack rear fist you can do. Grab is easy to pull off though not all enemies will let you hang on when the AI ramps up. One thing that's not been noted is that you can grab and switch directions w/ C and effectively use enemies as a meat shield. Of course, you can throw them or just beat them to a pulp. But it really plays unlike any Genesis beat-em-up. To be honest, I sorta like the play better than SoR 2 but that is probably heresy around here. It seems like it's about the same difficulty level and the AI is honestly very similar as SoR 2 is. I can get to the final boss of SoR 2 without dying most of the time as well.

As a whole, I'm really enjoying it so far and frankly like it far better than SoR 4 and expect to put far more time into it, but I expect plenty of angry fans to disagree and weigh in. Seems like a lot more work just went into this game, and by a smaller team. It doesn't have chunky momma Blaze, drunken old homeless Axel, or weeby anime hair twin bosses to fight (Mr. / Ms. Y). But this is probably beat 'em up of the year, and only playable on the MD/Genesis.

Mine arrived with the loose Daten plate rattling around inside. Didn't help that the mail carrier tossed the box onto my front porch ("THUMP!")
    Cool man, glad you're enjoying it. I beat it on hard as well, and have unlocked a character and been playing the Original mode. I kinda wish the game was less silly about explaining how the original mode works, and what it's expecting. But I will keep messing around with it. I like the game, and I'm glad I got. I don't think I can recommend it for the new higher price, but it's definitely something I'm happy I can play. Hopefully, whatever the online/modem/crazy input on the top is for, will help address some of the crazy stuff with the game.

By the way, I tried the super glue on the loos shield plate thing, and that worked like a charm. Just a couple drops and I held in place for a minute. Haven't had an issue since. Oddly enough, the only time the game got warm was when I played with the shield off. Hmmm.

Quote Originally Posted by SEGA-Jorge View Post
    Cool man, glad you're enjoying it. I beat it on hard as well, and have unlocked a character and been playing the Original mode. I kinda wish the game was less silly about explaining how the original mode works, and what it's expecting. But I will keep messing around with it. I like the game, and I'm glad I got. I don't think I can recommend it for the new higher price, but it's definitely something I'm happy I can play. Hopefully, whatever the online/modem/crazy input on the top is for, will help address some of the crazy stuff with the game.

By the way, I tried the super glue on the loos shield plate thing, and that worked like a charm. Just a couple drops and I held in place for a minute. Haven't had an issue since. Oddly enough, the only time the game got warm was when I played with the shield off. Hmmm.
    I'm eventually going to attach mine as well. Haven't decided how I want to do it. The existing epoxy isn't going to help things at all. It was dumb to have that blob on the top and the metal shield, for sure. If anything it should have just been attached w/ holes and clips / spacers and real thermal paste but it truly seems more about hiding things and being aesthetically pleasing rather than thermal management. Seems like a fail.

I might just put a spacer between the plastic cart shell and the metal plate to simply hold it in place. Don't care if it isn't attached as long as it doesn't rattle.

Wildside Expert

Quote Originally Posted by zborgerd View Post
    I'm eventually going to attach mine as well. Haven't decided how I want to do it. The existing epoxy isn't going to help things at all. It was dumb to have that blob on the top and the metal shield, for sure. If anything it should have just been attached w/ holes and clips / spacers and real thermal paste but it truly seems more about hiding things and being aesthetically pleasing rather than thermal management. Seems like a fail.

I might just put a spacer between the plastic cart shell and the metal plate to simply hold it in place. Don't care if it isn't attached as long as it doesn't rattle.
    I'm thinking of using hot glue, the kind that you often see on PCBs to prevent capacitors from vibrating.
    It's easily removable with alcohol.
    Shinobi - the name means stealth.

Sports Talker

Central Texas, USA checking in.
    It is some kind of Christmas miracle, but I just got my copy today, which is Christmas Eve. I pre-ordered right after the official trailer hit, and I have been waiting and going on a media black out after I filled out my shipping confirmation on WM's site. But, it's here, it's real, I like it a lot. Here are my opinions for what they're worth.
    Packaging, A+. Just like a new game and no different that WM's previous boxed release I own, a reprint of Pier Solar. Sega-16's users have said it's lavish and I agree. I found some stickers and a poster in the game box, and I got a Manga I have not opened yet.
    Music, A+. It is a great score and consistent throughout. I think the brief sound effects could actually be an artistic choice to bring out the soundtrack more.
    Graphics, A. Pretty consistent and there is a good enemy variety. I would say it looks like a late release game from 1994 or 1995. The purple hues really add to the atmosphere of the game and they are consistent throughout. Probably also an artistic choice.

System compatibility is pretty mixed. I had two model one 1601 units rescued from a permanently closed game store where I was a tech and those work but did not boot the game past the title screen (not endorsed by Sega). One of those was a va6 because I had to open it to clean out recently. I did find a compatible system with a model 1 and a Sega CD gen 1 that I am using now. Thankfully I did not have to get my HD graphics launch model out, my model two, or my CDx.

The PCB I thought was in the system well enough but after turning it on it appeared crooked. So spacing might be a little tight. Thankfully no damage!

I am playing through arcade mode now and I am up to stage 4.
    My cartridge is black unlike some I have seen here. There was no blister pack either.

EDIT: My metal plate inside the cart must be on securely because there's no rattles.

Tiido's apprentice Road Rasher TulioAdriano's Avatar

Well it seems like no special Christmas for me. Nothing arrived here. I guess paying the $10 fee was a waste of cash.

For all you with and without games, I wish you a wonderful Christmas. Let's keep making this forum amazing! Thanks to all of you for your incredible contributions.
    🎁🎄🎅

Keep the good news coming!

2021 will be the year 2Dream!

Quote Originally Posted by ifkz View Post
    Central Texas, USA checking in.
    It is some kind of Christmas miracle, but I just got my copy today, which is Christmas Eve. I pre-ordered right after the official trailer hit, and I have been waiting and going on a media black out after I filled out my shipping confirmation on WM's site. But, it's here, it's real, I like it a lot. Here are my opinions for what they're worth.
    Packaging, A+. Just like a new game and no different that WM's previous boxed release I own, a reprint of Pier Solar. Sega-16's users have said it's lavish and I agree. I found some stickers and a poster in the game box, and I got a Manga I have not opened yet.
    Music, A+. It is a great score and consistent throughout. I think the brief sound effects could actually be an artistic choice to bring out the soundtrack more.
    Graphics, A. Pretty consistent and there is a good enemy variety. I would say it looks like a late release game from 1994 or 1995. The purple hues really add to the atmosphere of the game and they are consistent throughout. Probably also an artistic choice.

System compatibility is pretty mixed. I had two model one 1601 units rescued from a permanently closed game store where I was a tech and those work but did not boot the game past the title screen (not endorsed by Sega). One of those was a va6 because I had to open it to clean out recently. I did find a compatible system with a model 1 and a Sega CD gen 1 that I am using now. Thankfully I did not have to get my HD graphics launch model out, my model two, or my CDx.

The PCB I thought was in the system well enough but after turning it on it appeared crooked. So spacing might be a little tight. Thankfully no damage!

I am playing through arcade mode now and I am up to stage 4.
    My cartridge is black unlike some I have seen here. There was no blister pack either.

EDIT: My metal plate inside the cart must be on securely because there's no rattles.
    I have a theory that there will be far more cart rattle problems in the investor versions and that it was fixed or reduced in the later versions. But could be wrong. Would be interested to hear if anyone w/ a clamshell release w/ black cart has rattle.

Quote Originally Posted by TulioAdriano View Post
    Well it seems like no special Christmas for me. Nothing arrived here. I guess paying the $10 fee was a waste of cash.

For all you with and without games, I wish you a wonderful Christmas. Let's keep making this forum amazing! Thanks to all of you for your incredible contributions.
    🎁🎄🎅

Keep the good news coming!
    Seems that way. I know someone else who also got his today and didn't pay for extra shipping. Could be postal delays. I paid extra for shipping and it was in a USPS priority mail 2-day box and was postmarked on December 18 (6 days ago).

Wildside Expert

Hearing that many people have received a copy is awesome. A little bummed mine has showed shipping from Vegas since 12/15 with nothing showing up yet. I didn't pay much attention when completing the final address update, was there an option for faster shipping? Hopefully it shows up next week.

Okay, I've assembled the Monster Joystick and the game is compatible with it, unlike the Fighter Stick MD-6. It's no Grand Stick III, but it does the job. Couldn't resist taking a picture!

But I got my first game freeze at this dramatic moment. Not sure what suddenly caused that. My console is a Euro 1600-09 so should be safe.

Anyway... Marry Christmas all!

Sports Talker

If it helps anyone, my email said it was shipping from Las Vegas and I never had a tracking number. When I ordered I qualified for free shipping, so I took it. Mine was shipped in a Priority Mail envelope, the style that has an interior bubble wrap layer. It was a 2-Day delivery dated December 18th and today is the 24th. I agree that I hear that shipping is delayed around the USA for all packages. The world is pretty sick right now with this virus.

I had no other Christmas gifts besides a 3ds game I picked up around July when I was brave enough to go out. I am very grateful for this surprise and the quality is there. I hope it gets released for other platforms for more to play. I also hope this inspires some of the younger generation to get a real Sega Genesis and collect the games before they all disappear.

I am playing it on a CRT as recommended in the note inside of the main cardboard shipping box; a 13 inch. All official Sega hardware and controller, except the video cords.

Thread Information