Quantcast

Page 870 of 951 FirstFirst ... 370770820860866867868869870871872873874880920 ... LastLast
Results 13,036 to 13,050 of 14252

Thread: Paprium: The Official Thread Mk 2

Hero of Algol

Quote Originally Posted by Gadispalembang View Post
    I've been staring at schematics for the Genesis and Sega CD. Looking at the compatibility doc, you can see that the game
    will not function on a VA6 alone. By default, the pin I'm most interested in remains low on the Genesis, while the Sega CD
    pulls it high according to the service manual.

https://console5.com/techwiki/images...il%2C_1994.pdf

Page 6, 68 (CAS2) pulled low
    Page 23, 12 (CAS2) pulled high

I might be getting ahead of myself, but it's very possible that pulling Paprium's B21 pin high with a 10K resistor
    connected to pin A2 or A31 (5v power) might work. I'm placing a lot of theories on the table which I will test
    out once my copy arrives.

I will test the game on my VA3 with and without the decoupling capacitor, and with and without the decoupling capacitor
    while the Sega CD is attached.
    If you set the pin to high the game will likely interpret that you have a Sega CD attached and powered on.
    I don't think that's what you want.

My bet is that in some models it's not properly behaving as low when it should, that's why to some people attaching a switched off Sega CD is helping.
    When the game mistakenly interprets you have a Sega CD attached, it will try to access Sega CD's address space and it locks up at doing so.
    In most cases it happens at the copyright screen, where it tries to detect the add-ons; if it detects a LaserActive it will use a unique logo in the next screen, for an example.
    In some other cases it seems to happen in the beginning of the levels. Some people can run the attract mode once and even get to start the game but it then locks up right at the beginning of the first stage.

Also, apparently, when the Sega CD is attached you get the music track titles at the beginning of the levels; this would explain why some people experience lockups right at the beginning of the level.
    Last edited by Barone; 01-04-2021 at 11:36 AM.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingOutrunner Stifu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stef View Post
    Fonzie actually even contacted Analogue guys about the issue and from what i know Fonzie wasn't the one who didn't made efforts to try to fix it. That was my point, there is already enough drama around this game, no need to fuel more the fire.
    If Fonzie just answered this in the first place, people wouldn't have been annoyed and would have been understanding.

Road Rasher

Quote Originally Posted by tokay View Post
    I just realized that shipping an investor edition from France to the USA (or Japan) roughly costs 42.
    This is more than the price we paid for one copy (with shipping included) back in 2012.

So Fonzie is still struggling as we speak, taking care of these parcels himself, losing money with every copy shipped.
    There are thousands of orders containing one or more items to be packed, checked and brought to the post office.
    Meanwhile he has to answer multiple messages by customers who want their parcel yesterday.
    The man is not Amazon (which itself has no issue canceling orders btw).

Therefore seeing people claiming that Fonzie is the one to be blamed and has to pay no matter what is just saddening.
    If these self entitled retards were pouring THAT MUCH energy questioning their own respective governments / big companies (which steal way much more money and don't deliver any good videogame), world would be a better place.

Too many poisonous people for me here, guess I'll just start muting.
    Thanks to the others who share actual facts and positive feedback!
    Imagine no negative feedback because it might hurt your feels.

BANG Wildside Expert Gadispalembang's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Barone View Post
    If you set the pin to high the game will likely interpret that you have a Sega CD attached and powered on.
    I don't think that's what you want.
    We'll see, you have to crack a few heads when you're testing things. That will be a last resort to pull that pin high, and I believe there are
    a few more indicators which determine whether a Sega CD is attached or not. Pin B2 (DISK) appears to be high by default on the Genesis,
    whereas the Sega CD connects it to ground when attached, much like the B32 pin on the Genesis cartridge slot is pulled down when a game is inserted.

Quote Originally Posted by Devil N View Post
    It's a shame that now that the game is finally out, this thread is still used mostly to talk about delivery issues and Fonzie's scummy business practices rather than the game itself. It shows that Paprium will forever be tainted by the drama surrounding it, which is really unfortunate.

Coming back to the game itself, yesterday I went through the Skyline stages and beat the final(?) boss. I got an unsure ending which is what I was expecting. What I wasn't expecting was for my save game to get locked afterwards. I know, it's in the manual, but I had forgotten about that little detail. I had wanted to go back and complete all of the side missions from the throned characters to see how it would affect the ending, but I can't do that anymore now. Guess I'll have to start over with a new save. Bit of an annoying design choice, that. Lesson learned: make sure to copy your save to another slot before heading out to the final stages.

Also now that I've unlocked the Boom Box, I tried recording a few music tracks from my model 1's headphone jack to my Sound Blaster X-Fi HD. They turned out quite well, so I uploaded a few samples to SoundCloud:

https://soundcloud.com/astfgl32/sets/paprium-boom-box

For now this includes just the main theme and my two favorite tracks from Powder Zone and Police HQ. They're recorded in 96 kHz 24-bit and I've only done a few rough edits on them, reducing noise and trimming silence. This was originally meant for personal use only, but if any of you like these recordings and want more, let me know.

Same just happened with me. Time to go back and do it for Very Hard Difficulty. Shame you can't go an finish. That last Skyline stage to the Solarium is a rough one.

Quote Originally Posted by nihilblack View Post
    I wonder if there are more shortcuts like that in other levels. That would make repeating the same path three times to do the missions less of a grind.

By the way, I've finished the original mode a few times on hard, and no Boom Box for me. I think it's probably tied to your score, as someone mentioned here (It's in the book included with the Investor's Edition? Someone should scan it!).
    I think you need 160,000 +. I just got it last night.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingSports Talker inqualls's Avatar

I just realized that shipping an investor edition from France to the USA (or Japan) roughly costs 42.
    This is more than the price we paid for one copy (with shipping included) back in 2012.

So Fonzie is still struggling as we speak, taking care of these parcels himself, losing money with every copy shipped.
    There are thousands of orders containing one or more items to be packed, checked and brought to the post office.
    Meanwhile he has to answer multiple messages by customers who want their parcel yesterday.
    The man is not Amazon (which itself has no issue canceling orders btw).

Therefore seeing people claiming that Fonzie is the one to be blamed and has to pay no matter what is just saddening.
    If these self entitled retards were pouring THAT MUCH energy questioning their own respective governments / big companies (which steal way much more money and don't deliver any good videogame), world would be a better place.

Too many poisonous people for me here, guess I'll just start muting.
    Thanks to the others who share actual facts and positive feedback!
    I'm sorry Tokay, but almost everything surrounding WM has been maddening and negligent. My Limited (U) and manga was suppose to ship from Las Vega, NV to Pennsylvania (USA to USA) for a little over $7 in shipping cost. The last shipping update I received was on December 15th. Now, it's January 4th and I have heard nothing. Only Fonzie himself can definitively tell me what's going on. He may be a competent programmer but he outright sucks at running a company. I mean, can anyone even tell me who works at WM anymore? It's a question like this that pretty much says it all about how little information we are given and damn is it frustrating.

Any backlash is deserved when you behave like a complete control freak and sociopath. He takes over $300,000+ of preorder money in 2017 and only God knows how much initial 2012-2013 Investor/Backer money only to evade and lie his ass off to them. It's completely unacceptable. If you make claims like having 'support tickets' and 'release parties' and can't deliver then DO NOT offer such services or make such claims in the first place. I've tried to hold my tongue and defend WM to the last. At least, ever since coming across Pier Solar and Project Y back in early 2014. But, it's been an exasperating 7 years of blind loyalty and now I'm treated like this at the finish line.

It's total BS! If you can't ship all of the products at once then just say it plainly. It's been beyond frustrating to live on speculation and assumption throughout the whole dev cycle only to get the final 'F**k you' on the now 'shipping...' debacle. The neurotic behavior never ends and thus, the fiasco continues! Anyone who HASN'T gotten their preordered copy as of now has every right to be pissed until a definitive reason is given.

Have you really learned nothing after almost a decade of being screwed with? Are you on the BLU Drug or something?

Master of Shinobi

I also agree that all the drama surrounding this, the person etc is overshadowing the fact that this is the biggest Mega Drive release since 1997, which is 23 years ago, more than double the actual commercial life of the console.

The end result is there and in the end the fact that it doesn't work on some models, clone consoles, loose metal plate, etc etc are all mere details when compared to the big picture of this. Maybe it's still to early as many people are yet to even receive the game, but I hope the community as a whole will be able to leave behind all that happened (or, actually, didn't happen, to be more precise) in the past years and get on with what is actually happening right now. The technical prowess of this (and the joystick, which apparently is the best one ever released for the system) won't probably ever be equaled in years, if not ever, as the interest for the 16-bit gen slowly declines over the upcoming decades.
    Lists of MD games: officially licensed (~925) @ cart sizes @ Top 5 @ Top 250 @ Sonic hacks @ best title screens @ Arcade ports (150) @ best European games

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert majinga's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gadispalembang View Post
    I've been staring at schematics for the Genesis and Sega CD...
    Ok guys. I made a little experiment.
    I've took the "riser" from a MCD. The stuff that connect the MD to the MCD on the MCD1:
    cdriser.jpg

Then I connected the riser to one of my MD where the game don't work. And now it boot.
    The game still freeze at the first stage, but pass the copyright screen.
    This explain why by attaching a MCD, even without powering it, help the game to boot.
    angledmd.jpg

According to this schematic, the only things that the riser add, are some pull-down resistor to some lines.
    pinout.png

BANG Wildside Expert Gadispalembang's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by majinga View Post
    Then I connected the riser to one of my MD where the game don't work. And now it boot.
    The game still freeze at the first stage, but pass the copyright screen.
    This explain why by attaching a MCD, even without powering it, help the game to boot.

You should ground the DISK pin (B2). It's supposed to be grounded when there's a Sega CD attached,
    but it doesn't do that within the "riser".

Quote Originally Posted by chilled View Post
    I also agree that all the drama surrounding this, the person etc is overshadowing the fact that this is the biggest Mega Drive release since 1997, which is 23 years ago, more than double the actual commercial life of the console.

The end result is there and in the end the fact that it doesn't work on some models, clone consoles, loose metal plate, etc etc are all mere details when compared to the big picture of this. Maybe it's still to early as many people are yet to even receive the game, but I hope the community as a whole will be able to leave behind all that happened (or, actually, didn't happen, to be more precise) in the past years and get on with what is actually happening right now. The technical prowess of this (and the joystick, which apparently is the best one ever released for the system) won't probably ever be equaled in years, if not ever, as the interest for the 16-bit gen slowly declines over the upcoming decades.
    Oh, c'mon! The way this guy act is far bad. None of the things he done can justify this.
    He hasn't released a cure for the cancer. He only released a video game! And neither a good one.

Training-in-Hedgehog Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher tokay's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by inqualls View Post
    Have you really learned nothing after almost a decade of being screwed with? Are you on the BLU Drug or something?
    What I learned is that, may I had not received the game, it would still have been way cheaper than all the bills and taxes I pay every month for shit.

Don't get me wrong, I am not defending Fonzie no matter what, as he has his shares of mistakes. I have already told him both privately and publicly in the past.

What I cannot stand is the angry mob which will never be satisfied when he has finally delivered the game and ships it at loss right now.
    Since the 12th of December, he shipped more than 3.460 parcels. No need to remind you guys that Christmas and New Year were happening in the middle.
    Can you imagine handling such volumes as an individual? And he is handling support ticket meanwhile on top of this!

I'm convinced you'll get your game eventually, it's just that he cannot absorb such figures faster.

Considering this situation, I therefore find pathetic to see people behaving in such a nasty way. Again, I'd rather see such energy being used for better purpose.

16-bits is all he needs Master of Shinobi matteus's Avatar

And this is why the threads should have stayed as is...

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher nihilblack's Avatar

I'm really enjoying the game. I've just died on my first try on the Skyline route. Yesterday I was just doing missions for the other throned characters. I still think there's clearly room for improvement, maybe that will come with MegaWire, maybe not, but Paprium it's a nice and entertaining game for sure. I love all the little details and the variety of scenarios. It feels like a coherent, living and breathing town full of colorful characters.

But... still no Boom Box unlocked for me

What I cannot stand is the angry mob which will never be satisfied when he has finally delivered the game and ships it at loss right now.
    Since the 12th of December, he shipped more than 3.460 parcels. No need to remind you guys that Christmas and New Year were happening in the middle.
    Can you imagine handling such volumes as an individual? And he is handling support ticket meanwhile on top of this!
    Sorry, no.
    Why do people have to feel guilty if he is losing out?
    He decided the price of the product. He decided the shipping costs. He decided to ship during the holidays.
    All the mess comes from his decision to keep everyone out from what was going on.
    A small business still a business, customers have always right.

Thread Information