Quantcast

Page 911 of 950 FirstFirst ... 411811861901907908909910911912913914915921 ... LastLast
Results 13,651 to 13,665 of 14250

Thread: Paprium: The Official Thread Mk 2

Quote Originally Posted by turboxray View Post
    Imagine not being able to distinguish between a product for sale/profit that infringes on copyright, and something non-profit community driven.
    ......."When they steal it's BAD!!!! When I steal it's warranted and acceptable...."

So I am trying to bet the game with all my characters throned and I got stuck with the Shark (Haven't unlocked that Pink Ninja due or that Big Boobed armless robot thingy) so I made it all the way to the sewer throne and swapped. Now at the level select teh shark is absent, still says that he is there just blank and if I want to choose him I can I just need to un throne him. Weird quirk there. Also gt my first crash of the game, it was in the lower level boss rush roght before getting back to my now throned shark and it crashed.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher

Quote Originally Posted by evilevoix View Post
    ......."When they steal it's BAD!!!! When I steal it's warranted and acceptable...."
    Intelligence was never your string point.

Death Bringer ESWAT Veteran Black_Tiger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NeoVamp View Post
    I'm glad he picked the skeleton enemies in the Golden Axe stage, those were always the coolest.
    now that's something I'd like to see made, a brawler game based on Greek mythology. with skeletons and big cyclop bosses and sea monsters and that stuff.
    pretty much like Golden Axe but more of a Jason and the Argonauts kinda feel.

same sized sprites though, none of that Paprium flicker for me.
    It's too bad Sega never made a Mega Drive version Arabian Fight and given it the console treatment like Shadow Dancer and E-Swat. The theme would have stood out from other beat'em up bitd.

Quote Originally Posted by evilevoix View Post
    No need for quotation marks. You literally communicate this every time you come onto sites like this with hundreds of reviews, interviews and features full of emulated screenshots, login to the forum section with an endless banner of cycling emulated assets... only to tell everyone how immoral emulation is... while using an avator and obnoxious sig made from playing emulated hardware running "illegal" roms.
    Last edited by Black_Tiger; 01-28-2021 at 09:39 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher nihilblack's Avatar

"Kevtris got Paprium working on Mega SG

Not a major thing but it looks like Kev was able to figure out why Paprium was not launching on Mega SG. This was on the Mega SG thread of the Classic Gaming Discord Seems to indicate that it would be updated in a firmware update but he did not indicate that it would be happening any time soon, and additionally indicated that he wouldn't be dumping it, that it would likely require dumping the rom directly. Hadn't seen any mention of this here and figured some people would be interested."

https://www.reddit.com/r/AnalogueInc...ng_on_mega_sg/

Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by nihilblack View Post
    "Kevtris got Paprium working on Mega SG

Not a major thing but it looks like Kev was able to figure out why Paprium was not launching on Mega SG. This was on the Mega SG thread of the Classic Gaming Discord Seems to indicate that it would be updated in a firmware update but he did not indicate that it would be happening any time soon, and additionally indicated that he wouldn't be dumping it, that it would likely require dumping the rom directly. Hadn't seen any mention of this here and figured some people would be interested."

https://www.reddit.com/r/AnalogueInc...ng_on_mega_sg/
    I'm confused how dumping the ROM would help though? Does something need to be patched to get it working on the Mega Sg?

I would think you still need to run the ROM from the Paprium cart though since the extra hardware isn't emulated. Even if you decompress everything surely the game still needs the MCU to generate the audio and sprite scaling?

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher nihilblack's Avatar

That confuses me too. Maybe someone asked if he would dump the ROM, and he just answered that question. My guess is that it would be possible to run the ROM on a flashcart like the Mega Everdrive Pro or the Mega SD if they could trick the ROM to make use of those FPGA's instead of the one in the cart. Who knows. I own the cart, so If Kevtris could just add support for that on the Mega Sg I would be happy enough.

EDIT:

I've joined the mentioned Classic Gaming server on Discord, and Kevtris said quite a few things about his findings on Paprium. Some excerpts:

"it seems the troll game is on a timer; if the cart isn't run within a set amount of time, you get the troll game. this is probably an anti-dumping measure
    [23:28]
    the cartridge power has to be cycled off/on to make it play the real game

it looks like the graphics that have issues are DMA'd out of the cartridge using code in RAM that does back to back DMAs from cart space in the 1xxxxx area of memory (cartridge space)
    [23:30]
    the data coming in isn't very unate and you can see the timing of it differ quite a bit randomly, so this data is most likely coming from the FPGA/SDRAM
    [23:31]
    it seems to read params out of the cart in this area for the DMA and use the values to start the DMAs.
    [23:31]
    so there's probably a list the cart generates on the fly of DMAs to perform and then supplies the data for said DMAs
    [23:32]
    the health bars and most of the text comes straight from the cart this way
    [23:32]
    thus dumping this thing and hoping to run it on an emulator won't be happening for a long time probably"

ah
    [23:38]
    the DMA issue I'm having is pretty strange; the cart is definitely not giving up the first word on the first read on purpose
    [23:38]
    I changed the DMA timing a bunch just playing around to see if it'd make a difference. it doesn't.
    [23:39]
    might have to hook a genesis up to an FPGA and tap the bus while it runs to see what it is expecting
    [23:39]
    I could save the data as it is read out of the cart too to get what it's running if I really wanted to. lol

looks like the cart hooks up /Vsynch, /CAS0, /CS0, VCLK, /LWR, /UWR, /M3, and /TIME in the way of control signals
    [1:38]
    these are NC: /YS, /Hsynch, EDCK, /AS, /DTAK, /CAS2, /ASEL, /VRES

interestingly the cart is outputting the wrong data on purpose it looks
    [2:07]
    it is actively driving the wrong data onto the bus during the first DMA read

(c)T574 2018.DECPAPRIUM (c) WATERMELON GAMES PAPRIUM (c) WATERMELON GAMES - 16BIT FOREVER! GM T-574116-0
    [5:44]
    that's what it says for the real game in its header
    [5:46]
    (c)T574 2018.DECPAPRIUM (c) WATERMELON GAMES PAPRIUM (c) WATERMELON GAMES - SCUMMMMMMM! GM T-574116-5
    [5:47]
    that's the troll game

dumping the actual real game would be done by pulling the flash off the board and dumping it directly probably

the fpga is generating graphic data via DMA I think
    [9:52]
    it seems to be mapped in at 10000-1fffff
    [9:52]
    I got to peek under the skirt as it ran via the bus traces

only one bad thing, you cannot reset the game
    [0:01]
    if you try resetting it, it crashes
    [0:02]
    I don't know why, I think it unmaps the ROM"
    Last edited by nihilblack; 01-29-2021 at 12:00 AM.

Super Sexy Sega Master of Shinobi cowboyscowboys's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stifu View Post
    That was my thought too. To highlight the sprite size difference, in particular.
    However, I don't think he picked Golden Axe III because it's "ugly". It's just his favorite out of the 3 Mega Drive Golden Axe games. I remember someone quoting him on that.
    Well Golden Axe 3 is the best Genesis Golden Axe so Fonzie got that right.
    Beat Em Up- Streets of Rage 2
    Platformer- Sonic 3 and Knuckles
    Run and Gun- Gunstar Heroes
    Adventure- Story of Thor
    Action- Shinobi 3

Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by nihilblack View Post
    That confuses me too. Maybe someone asked if he would dump the ROM, and he just answered that question. My guess is that it would be possible to run the ROM on a flashcart like the Mega Everdrive Pro or the Mega SD if they could trick the ROM to make use of those FPGA's instead of the one in the cart. Who knows. I own the cart, so If Kevtris could just add support for that on the Mega Sg I would be happy enough.
    Wow, that is a lot of info. Thanks for posting it. It sounds like Kevtris could dump the ROM already if he wanted to. Wonder how many other hackers have his skills though.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher

now that's something I'd like to see made, a brawler game based on Greek mythology. with skeletons and big cyclop bosses and sea monsters and that stuff.
    Disney's Hercules for PS1 and other platforms.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert Kamon's Avatar

I wish, there's not enough nipples in this game. I applaud Fonzie for putting in robo-nips though.
    this sissified era needs more nudity in their games, too many been sipping their soy drinks and shrinking their balls.
    Pure boomer cringe, yeesh.

I'm glad he picked the skeleton enemies in the Golden Axe stage, those were always the coolest.

same sized sprites though, none of that Paprium flicker for me.
    Closest to that would be beyond oasis, it's got jason and the argonauts style visuals and soundtrack. Made by yuzo koshiro and his team as well!

Training-in-Hedgehog Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher tokay's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zredgemz View Post
    They are his favorites he talked about it in a old audio interview about when he was a child. https://anchor.fm/thesegalounge/epis...n-Games-eagk5c
    I TOTALLY missed this interview from 2017! 0_0 !!!
    To think I was listening to Groovemaster's super short medley on Soundcloud all this time when more was available is mind blowing to me!
    And it's a very interesting show, thanks for the discovery.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert Kamon's Avatar

We wanna talk about payments being suspended on the MGF? It just NEVER ends...

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingOutrunner Stifu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cowboyscowboys View Post
    Well Golden Axe 3 is the best Genesis Golden Axe so Fonzie got that right.
    It's funny because Golden Axe III has refined gameplay but crude graphics, and Paprium is the opposite. So that game inspired him to create its antithesis.

Road Rasher

Quote Originally Posted by Kamon View Post
    We wanna talk about payments being suspended on the MGF? It just NEVER ends...
    FYI hes right, its on the front page of the store... let me guess, paypal froze the funds again 😂

Thread Information