Quantcast

Page 937 of 950 FirstFirst ... 437837887927933934935936937938939940941947 ... LastLast
Results 14,041 to 14,055 of 14250

Thread: Paprium: The Official Thread Mk 2

  1. #14041
    Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert Kamon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    117
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nafcom View Post
    From what I read online, people expect it to be able to update it with further content aka DLCs. Then some others said they would hate that if DLCs were possible as it would too much remind them of modern games.

    I seriously hope myself, servicing the cart for a fix for the compatibility issues, doesn't mean unsoldering and resolder ICs myself, I have 2 left hands, I would have to pay somebody doing that for me.

    Also many said in this thread earlier if that is the case live with it, as sending to WMG for servicing is too risky as well.
    If I had to speculate on what this thing is, I'd look at what was available for online console gaming pre 6th gen consoles. Online co-op feels like a no brainer, online leaderboards too. As for dlc, I don't think he would ever dare do that, you can't fault him for trying to make the game an authentic mega drive game and he'd never stomach microtransactions in one. What does feel possible is unlocking content that is already on the cart by connecting it online, similar to what Sega were doing during the Dreamcast era. The big one people want to know is whether it can be updated via the mega wire. I honestly doubt it, fonzie seems to be uncertain himself if that's possible in that interview that was linked above. Frankly if it could be done I'd be terrified doing it, nobody wants a bricked cart right now.

  2. #14042
    Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingOutrunner promking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Long Island New York
    Age
    34
    Posts
    648
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    Do any of you guys buy homebrew games for other systems?
    Example NGdev... For Neo Geo... I'm on 4+ years waiting for that game as well.
    What's worse? Constant updates about nothing? Constant blaming of others? Or no updates?

  3. #14043
    Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Posts
    10
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kamon View Post
    If I had to speculate on what this thing is, I'd look at what was available for online console gaming pre 6th gen consoles. Online co-op feels like a no brainer, online leaderboards too. As for dlc, I don't think he would ever dare do that, you can't fault him for trying to make the game an authentic mega drive game and he'd never stomach microtransactions in one. What does feel possible is unlocking content that is already on the cart by connecting it online, similar to what Sega were doing during the Dreamcast era. The big one people want to know is whether it can be updated via the mega wire. I honestly doubt it, fonzie seems to be uncertain himself if that's possible in that interview that was linked above. Frankly if it could be done I'd be terrified doing it, nobody wants a bricked cart right now.
    well, I see your point regarding firmware updates, however it largely depends on how it is implemented. I had a HP notebook where the bios update failed, but it would do a bunch of verified before writing overwriting it. in the end I only got a warning next bootup that bios flashing failed, but theoratically i could have tried it endlessly.

  4. #14044
    Death Bringer ESWAT Veteran Black_Tiger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Vancouver
    Age
    44
    Posts
    5,043
    Rep Power
    119

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by promking View Post
    Do any of you guys buy homebrew games for other systems?
    Example NGdev... For Neo Geo... I'm on 4+ years waiting for that game as well.
    What's worse? Constant updates about nothing? Constant blaming of others? Or no updates?
    Pre-crash "homebrew" is thriving. Cote Games is a French developer and publisher who make over the top box sets with all kinds of extras to accompany their impressive Intellivision games.

    Their communication is second to none, they are quick to ship, they are also a part of the community and are enthusiastic about what Watermelon would call "competitors'" releases.

    Pretty much all of the good and the polar opposite of all of the bad from Watermelon/Paprium.


    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

  5. #14045
    Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Posts
    10
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Black_Tiger View Post

    Their communication is second to none, they are quick to ship, they are also a part of the community and are enthusiastic about what Watermelon would call "competitors'" releases.

    Pretty much all of the good and the polar opposite of all of the bad from Watermelon/Paprium.
    Well, Watermelon used to have a community around them and their own message board, in the above linked interview it was said, that it is because of how the internet turned and how much people started spamming and so on, but I think it is probably just a matter of better moderation really.


    Next to your good example, you have studios like
    LUEGOLU3GO STUDIOS that I pledged for their game Nogalious and then suddenly no communication whatsoever for a year. they froze the project for a year without telling anybody really. and now we wait for an update where this was announced since September.

  6. #14046
    Death Bringer ESWAT Veteran Black_Tiger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Vancouver
    Age
    44
    Posts
    5,043
    Rep Power
    119

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nafcom View Post
    Well, Watermelon used to have a community around them and their own message board, in the above linked interview it was said, that it is because of how the internet turned and how much people started spamming and so on, but I think it is probably just a matter of better moderation really.


    Next to your good example, you have studios like
    LUEGOLU3GO STUDIOS that I pledged for their game Nogalious and then suddenly no communication whatsoever for a year. they froze the project for a year without telling anybody really. and now we wait for an update where this was announced since September.
    There are some groups that sketchy, but projects like Paprium was all red flags from the moment the Magical Gem system was announced.

    During the development and rolling pre-sales of Paprium, hundreds of games were and published by groups like Collectorvision, OPCode, Team Pixelboy, Atariage, Good Deal Games, 2600connection, PenguiNet, IntelligentVision, Intellivision Revolution, Elektronite, BBWW, Kai Magazine and Blue Sky Rangers.
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

  7. #14047
    Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Posts
    10
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Black_Tiger View Post
    but projects like Paprium was all red flags from the moment the Magical Gem system was announced..
    Why so? I thought it all went down when they got troublws with PayPal for the first time. I wasn't around and didn't know Watermelon when that was announced, I only heard about it and preordered it April 2017

  8. #14048
    Sports Talker
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    26
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by promking View Post
    Do any of you guys buy homebrew games for other systems?
    Example NGdev... For Neo Geo... I'm on 4+ years waiting for that game as well.
    What's worse? Constant updates about nothing? Constant blaming of others? Or no updates?
    Yes,
    Xeno crisis neo geo
    Kraut Buster waiting on aes usa and jap, have mvs
    Handful of nes and genesis games
    Jim power system bundle.
    Water melon mystery game...

  9. #14049
    Nameless One Hairlesswookiee's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    87
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by promking View Post
    Do any of you guys buy homebrew games for other systems?
    Example NGdev... For Neo Geo... I'm on 4+ years waiting for that game as well.
    What's worse? Constant updates about nothing? Constant blaming of others? Or no updates?
    I've bought several and just out of happenstance I just joined a Kickstarter for Stone Protectors today. I've been waiting for my Neo Geo copy of Xeno Crisis for a long time now, but I'm confident they're just really behind because of the Corona situation.

    Honestly I would prefer regular updates on what they're actively doing, even if it's just playing on Photoshop rather than just radio silence for months/years about any progress.
    Toys: PS4 Pro, PS3 Slim 250GB,PSVita, Xbox, Gamecube, Dreamcast, Saturn, JVC X'Eye, NES, SNES, Neo Geo, Neo Geo CD, Turbo Duo R, PS1, PS2

    Movie Setup: Vizio M65, Fluance ES 5.1, Definitive Technology SC 4000, Sony STR-DN840, Apple TV 4k, Synology DS413j with 12TB of media.

  10. #14050
    Raging in the Streets xelement5x's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Southwest USA
    Age
    41
    Posts
    4,464
    Rep Power
    75

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by promking View Post
    Do any of you guys buy homebrew games for other systems?
    Example NGdev... For Neo Geo... I'm on 4+ years waiting for that game as well.
    What's worse? Constant updates about nothing? Constant blaming of others? Or no updates?
    Yes.
    For PC Engine I've gotten at least: Mysterious Song, Insanity, Atlantean, FX Unit Yuki (only Yuki was a kickstarter though)
    For Jaguar: Elansar
    For SNES: Nightmare Busters (kind of homebrew), Unholy Night (utter trash)
    For NES: Battle Kid among others

    Here's my take, I'm not a huge fan of using Kickstarter/crowdfunding until very close to the end because I feel like it's become a crutch where people are making games more for money instead of a just wanting to make a game. I'm NOT saying someone shouldn't get paid, but I feel like some of the best projects are ones where one has already had a fair amount of development in the pipeline and then want's to kickstart for physical production or just finishing it up.

    If you look at the games I bought, almost all of them were fully developed before going to production. Not to say I haven't kickstarted stuff (like XenoCrisis, Jessie Jaeger, etc), but I'm very picky about how much time/work has already been put into it. Caveat emptor, always.
    Quote Originally Posted by StarMist View Post
    A spine card is the hymen of a new game assuring its first owner that he is truly her one and only, and of a used game assuring its new owner that whilst she has been played with in the past that play has never been too careless or thorough.

  11. #14051
    Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Posts
    417
    Rep Power
    17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by xelement5x View Post
    Yes.
    For PC Engine I've gotten at least: Mysterious Song, Insanity, Atlantean, FX Unit Yuki (only Yuki was a kickstarter though)
    For Jaguar: Elansar
    For SNES: Nightmare Busters (kind of homebrew), Unholy Night (utter trash)
    For NES: Battle Kid among others

    Here's my take, I'm not a huge fan of using Kickstarter/crowdfunding until very close to the end because I feel like it's become a crutch where people are making games more for money instead of a just wanting to make a game. I'm NOT saying someone shouldn't get paid, but I feel like some of the best projects are ones where one has already had a fair amount of development in the pipeline and then want's to kickstart for physical production or just finishing it up.

    If you look at the games I bought, almost all of them were fully developed before going to production. Not to say I haven't kickstarted stuff (like XenoCrisis, Jessie Jaeger, etc), but I'm very picky about how much time/work has already been put into it. Caveat emptor, always.
    This is an interesting topic for me because as part of the homebrew developer community, I feel that going into a kickstarter too early as well as even too late (game nearly complete) as a developer/tram kinda hurts the overall momentum in the same respect. Backers want the security in knowing that the game is mature enough in development (less risk of not delivering), but also that it's still in progress. There's something exciting about backing something and seeing its development progress across the campaign? Almost as if the backer is part of the development process in some way. I dunno. The whole WM GEMS system went above and beyond that, and I really wonder how much money they accumulated from people just to have an option (vote by gems), but I think it tapped into the same thing - the backer feeling like they're part of the reason said project is coming to fruition.

  12. #14052
    Raging in the Streets xelement5x's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Southwest USA
    Age
    41
    Posts
    4,464
    Rep Power
    75

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by turboxray View Post
    This is an interesting topic for me because as part of the homebrew developer community, I feel that going into a kickstarter too early as well as even too late (game nearly complete) as a developer/tram kinda hurts the overall momentum in the same respect. Backers want the security in knowing that the game is mature enough in development (less risk of not delivering), but also that it's still in progress. There's something exciting about backing something and seeing its development progress across the campaign? Almost as if the backer is part of the development process in some way. I dunno. The whole WM GEMS system went above and beyond that, and I really wonder how much money they accumulated from people just to have an option (vote by gems), but I think it tapped into the same thing - the backer feeling like they're part of the reason said project is coming to fruition.
    I think you're right, the ability to influence the production is a good idea, but at this point I'd only trust it with a team that's delivered several products already. I (and others I'd think) backed Paprium/WaterMelon because they appeared to be able to deliver a good final product, but the fact that nothing was even really decided yet probably hurt them overall in terms of their development trajectory. Just because you can make and RPG doesn't mean you can deliver a beat em up/belt scroller well.

    AnimEigo is actually phenomenal at doing this, they are established enough that I trust giving them money for an unfinished product, but still have the flexibility to add/modify to the project. Like you're saying having a hand in the dev process is nice as a backer, but I won't even consider backing something anymore unless they have a playable demo of some sort.
    Quote Originally Posted by StarMist View Post
    A spine card is the hymen of a new game assuring its first owner that he is truly her one and only, and of a used game assuring its new owner that whilst she has been played with in the past that play has never been too careless or thorough.

  13. #14053
    Outrunner nieds16's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    633
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    Played another 2 hours today. AI is dumb which I think is undeniable at this point. They will just stand there. It's as if this was designed just to have few people actually attacking at once when they start throwing a boat load of enemies at you at one time. I've become used to the amount of damage you can inflict. With that said, I am just having a blast playing. In comparison with a lot of other games for the genre in the genesis/MD library I like the mechanics more than the majority of them. You have your punches, kicks, throws, back attack, dash attack, drugged out more potent attack, the bully attack, and attacks a number of different items. The lack of variety in other games make them boring to me so Paprium keeps it variable and fun.. I'm not great at video games by any means so no expert opinion, but I just find Paprium flat out fun. To each his/her own. I know a few pages back I said I liked SOR1 best of the series and others talked about how great SOR3 was and it being no contest because of the mechanics. I found the game to be an unpleasant grind.

    Here are a couple of things I found out:
    I was honestly surprised I couldn't switch my JP copy to English as I could never read any of the text to find the screen last time. More than anything, it wasn't like it was Japanese only. There was Portuguese, Spanish, French and I believe one or 2 other languages. I found it odd. Curious as to what language options there are in the classic edition.
    When playing the electric no arm robot I felt like my cart was glitching out. The character was in 4 places on the screne at once the whole time. No rhyme or reason to what I was hitting or why I was getting damaged. Just started punching and kicking all over the screen. Never saw the enemy drop. My setup is a JP investor's edition on a cdx through retrovision cables to a trinitron. I took a brief video and will reference at some point. Anybody else have a similar issue?

  14. #14054
    Blast processor Melf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Cabo Rojo, PR
    Posts
    9,657
    Rep Power
    144

    Default

    I really don't have a problem with the dumb A.I. It's the stages with long seconds of empty space that bother me. Sometimes you can walk or ride an elevator or car for quite a while with nothing happening.

  15. #14055
    Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingSports Talker
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Brazil
    Posts
    25
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nieds16 View Post
    Played another 2 hours today. AI is dumb which I think is undeniable at this point. They will just stand there. It's as if this was designed just to have few people actually attacking at once when they start throwing a boat load of enemies at you at one time. I've become used to the amount of damage you can inflict. With that said, I am just having a blast playing. In comparison with a lot of other games for the genre in the genesis/MD library I like the mechanics more than the majority of them. You have your punches, kicks, throws, back attack, dash attack, drugged out more potent attack, the bully attack, and attacks a number of different items. The lack of variety in other games make them boring to me so Paprium keeps it variable and fun.. I'm not great at video games by any means so no expert opinion, but I just find Paprium flat out fun. To each his/her own. I know a few pages back I said I liked SOR1 best of the series and others talked about how great SOR3 was and it being no contest because of the mechanics. I found the game to be an unpleasant grind.

    Here are a couple of things I found out:
    I was honestly surprised I couldn't switch my JP copy to English as I could never read any of the text to find the screen last time. More than anything, it wasn't like it was Japanese only. There was Portuguese, Spanish, French and I believe one or 2 other languages. I found it odd. Curious as to what language options there are in the classic edition.
    When playing the electric no arm robot I felt like my cart was glitching out. The character was in 4 places on the screne at once the whole time. No rhyme or reason to what I was hitting or why I was getting damaged. Just started punching and kicking all over the screen. Never saw the enemy drop. My setup is a JP investor's edition on a cdx through retrovision cables to a trinitron. I took a brief video and will reference at some point. Anybody else have a similar issue?
    youre talking about the robot boss? She mirrors herself in both sides, you have to see who is hitting you and hit her thats the one, but she's always moving and changing to the other three ^^
    "There's no knowledge, that is not power..."

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 3 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 3 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •