Quantcast

Page 528 of 950 FirstFirst ... 28428478518524525526527528529530531532538578628 ... LastLast
Results 7,906 to 7,920 of 14250

Thread: Paprium: The Official Thread Mk 2

Hero of Algol

It only works for NTSC + blurry video output AFAIK.

A lot of people playing old consoles nowadays are using SCART/Component or at least S-Video.

Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by Stifu View Post
    Let's state the obvious, there is no way the game is finished.

If the game was actually finished and what was shown at the party was just some kind of unforeseen technical issue, then the next day Fonzie would have released videos of the finished game to reassure everyone, clear everything up and keep orders coming. If you've worked that hard on a game for years and actually manage to complete it, then you can't possibly be satisfied after having publicly shown such a crippled demo. Fonzie's silence speaks for itself. It's all the proof we need.
    A few people in this thread say they have play tested a complete (or nearly complete?) version of the game and I believe them, there's zero incentive to lie to protect Fonzie. There's just no way that a completed version is running on real hardware with the DSP/FPGA.

Fonzie could probably get a version onto Steam in short order if he wanted to reassure investors and make a little money. But no, it just has to debut on the MD...

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingOutrunner Stifu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by axel View Post
    A few people in this thread say they have play tested a complete (or nearly complete?) version of the game and I believe them, there's zero incentive to lie to protect Fonzie. There's just no way that a completed version is running on real hardware with the DSP/FPGA.

Fonzie could probably get a version onto Steam in short order if he wanted to reassure investors and make a little money. But no, it just has to debut on the MD...
    Yeah, that sounds about right, assuming the game did not actually regress since then (like Fonzie losing source code or so...).
    But if Fonzie considers that the game can only be released as an MD game, what I said still stands: it's not finished, despite what was announced.

If he has a working PC version, he should have brought it to the party (at least as a fallback), and he should also have shown videos of it after the party to keep buyers hoping. He's probably just too stubborn and can't bring himself to go for a plan B.
    I wonder what the point of the party was. Get more pre-orders? Get his ego stroked? Give himself a motivation boost to try and quickly finish the game before the party?

At this point, it looks to me as though asking Fonzie to create a beat em up from scratch is a bit like backers asking me to build a stealth bomber from scratch. Backers can wait and make excuses for as long as they want, the job isn't getting done. I don't care if there's a working version somewhere, or if he's made another excuse for what's been made so far, it looks very much as though Fonzie isn't capable of the job he's made for himself. Get a refund and move on because so far Fonzie has shown no respect to backers and has not shown that he deserves anyone's money.

And before someone responds to this with: "But I want to see the game, so I'm willing to wait." Getting a refund and moving on with your life will not stop Fonzie from making a game, if he can make Paprium at all then he can do it at a later date with his own money so you'll still get the game you're waiting for.

Master of Shinobi

Yeah, that sounds about right, assuming the game did not actually regress since then (like Fonzie losing source code or so...).
    But if Fonzie considers that the game can only be released as an MD game, what I said still stands: it's not finished, despite what was announced.

If he has a working PC version, he should have brought it to the party (at least as a fallback), and he should also have shown videos of it after the party to keep buyers hoping. He's probably just too stubborn and can't bring himself to go for a plan B.
    I wonder what the point of the party was. Get more pre-orders? Get his ego stroked? Give himself a motivation boost to try and quickly finish the game before the party?
    I believe Fonzie thought he would have everything ready in time for the party. He can't be that stupid to have planned to go in there with a broken game. I think he just underestimated the complexity of getting the DSP to work properly. Especially since he apparently changed the co-processor within the last year or so, there's no way his cart even existed at the time of development. He must have developed the entire game in emulation and is now discovering that trying to turn a software solution into a hardware solution is a big problem. Does that sound plausible to the developers here?

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher

It's plausible, but also not very good project management. But perhaps that makes it even more plausible :P

He must have developed the entire game in emulation and is now discovering that trying to turn a software solution into a hardware solution is a big problem. Does that sound plausible to the developers here?
    Even if that was the case... First, he should have tested the game on an MD cart BEFORE sending party invitations. Secondly, when he realized he couldn't make the MD game work in time, he should have brought the PC game to the party (possibly alongside the broken MD one). Even leaving the party for an hour to go and grab the PC version would have been better than what happened. In this hypothetical scenario, he had pretty poor judgement on more than one occasion.

Hero of Algol

I believe Fonzie thought he would have everything ready in time for the party. He can't be that stupid to have planned to go in there with a broken game.
    The same could be said about the pre-order campaign and the unexpected media tour he did last year.
    If you're trying to cover up big mistakes, you need to come up with some fat juicy lies.

Notice that every time he reemerges, the excuses become more complex and the promises about the game features become bigger.
    Once it was the devkit which went missing 'cause AirFrance had fucked up. Then it was Paypal that was unfair to him.
    Then it was a factory issue.

Now it's like a combo of everything used so far: Paypal + devkit issue + factory difficulties + "I need an investor".

I see a pattern.
    And I see a "game" which is actually a glorified buggy tech demo which beautifully represents all sorts of mismanagement so far.
    After more than six years.

Tiido's apprentice Road Rasher TulioAdriano's Avatar

If he has a working PC version, he should have brought it to the party (at least as a fallback), and he should also have shown videos of it after the party to keep buyers hoping.
    Our solar system can go through hundreds of supernova/sun cycles and Fonzie will never have coded any game for PC. He does everything on MD. He hates ports. He would never do it.

2021 will be the year 2Dream!

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWCPO Agent avlon's Avatar

The pre-orders are bad enough, but what happened to the money invested in Project N? I don't think that WM is even pretending that game is still scheduled to come out.

Master of Shinobi

I like the idea that someone doesn't want to program on anything but MD. I was a little bit disappointed that Tanglewood was playable on Steam before it was on MD (even if it was emulation) and totally disapointed when I saw a Pier Solar port to PC back then. I understand the commercial/survival aspect of it, though.
    Lists of MD games: officially licensed (~925) @ cart sizes @ Top 5 @ Top 250 @ Sonic hacks @ best title screens @ Arcade ports (150) @ best European games

Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by TulioAdriano View Post
    Our solar system can go through hundreds of supernova/sun cycles and Fonzie will never have coded any game for PC. He does everything on MD. He hates ports. He would never do it.
    So does he test his compile on a flash cart every time or is the development done on an emulator?

I don't understand how you develop a game for a DSP-enhanced cart that doesn't exist. Either you would build the hardware first and test on that (and presumably it works, if not how do you keep working on the game?) or you find a way to emulate what the chip is supposed to be doing. I think the latter approach is what byuu did when developing the MSU-1 for the SNES?

a.k.a. ManuLöwe Sports Talker Ramsis's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by avlon View Post
    The pre-orders are bad enough, but what happened to the money invested in Project N?
    Project Y = Project WHY??
    Project N = Project (WHE)N??

Dies ist die tägliche Wassermelone, Kinder

(No, I haven't got a reply to my refund request just yet ... and I don't expect it to arrive anytime soon.)

The Cat in the Hat Shining Hero NeoVamp's Avatar

NeoVamp's meme game is strong.

Anyway, as Tulio confirmed there is no PC version of Paprium (emulated or not), then it's a possibility that the game has actually regressed somehow (due to hardware and/or software issues). That does sound pretty unlikely, but I can't think of a scenario that actually makes more sense given the information we have.

Thread Information