Quantcast

Thread: Sega officially used white-out on the retail boxes for the Master System?

Master System Sega officially used white-out on the retail boxes for the Master System?

I just bought a complete-in-box/mint/like new Master System from a card shop, and it looks like Sega (or the original retailer that sold it) whited out the parts no longer included in the packaging-

4rgitn.jpg

The top whited out part says "Hang On/Safari Hunt Combo Cartridge" and the bottom one says "Audio/video cable". You can also see that the picture of the cartridge has been obscured by a sticker that says "Hang On™/Safari Hunt™ Games Now Built Into Power Base. Separate Game Cartridge Not Included".

I know that manufacturers did things to cut costs, but damn, that was really unprofessional, even for that time. What do you guys think? And was Tonka the distributor for this model?
    Last edited by NinMicroSega; 12-23-2020 at 06:10 PM.

The Gaming Gangsta Master of Shinobi profholt82's Avatar

I think the Master System was probably an afterthought during that period, and they didn't want to incur the costs of printing new boxes, so they used what they had available. Yeah, it looks like crap, and was unprofessional.

This reminds me of the David Bowie Tin Machine album with the statues on the cover.

For the US release, they whited out the genitalia:

For the American release of the album, the cover was airbrushed to remove the genitalia of the*Kouroi*statues. "Even Canada has the original cover," Bowie said, "Only in America ..."
    Bowie floated the idea of allowing American album-buyers to send away to the record company for the genitalia that were struck from their version of the cover, but the label balked. He said: "then [the fans] could paste them back on. But the label freaked out at the idea. Sending genitals through the mail is a serious offense."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tin_Machine_II

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

008FCAB3-322D-4D2C-B2F1-98836BC1E8F1.jpgThere was a Robert Plant album, here in the US, where a girl was hitch hiking with her naked ass (not
    much of an ass) facing towards you. It wasn’t even a month later that the record company covered it with a red box.

Last edited by gamevet; 12-25-2020 at 08:16 PM.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Mega Driver Hedgehog-in-TrainingMaster of Shinobi Gryson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NinMicroSega View Post
    I just bought a complete-in-box/mint/like new Master System from a card shop, and it looks like Sega (or the original retailer that sold it) whited out the parts no longer included in the packaging-

4rgitn.jpg

The top whited out part says "Hang On/Safari Hunt Combo Cartridge" and the bottom one says "Audio/video cable". You can also see that the picture of the cartridge has been obscured by a sticker that says "Hang On™/Safari Hunt™ Games Now Built Into Power Base. Separate Game Cartridge Not Included".

I know that manufacturers did things to cut costs, but damn, that was really unprofessional, even for that time. What do you guys think? And was Tonka the distributor for this model?
    Is that white-out (the liquid stuff) or thin white stickers placed over the text?

I think it was not an unusual thing to alter the box with stickers if there was a printing error or product update. They probably printed those boxes in batches of 100,000s to save cost, so I think the cost consideration far outweighed the concern that someone would find a small sticker on the back of the box unprofessional.

And there's the example of Majesco buying up Acclaim-branded Genesis carts and hiding the branding on the back of the cart with a black sticker. That's a bit more unsightly since it's on the cart itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Gryson View Post
    Is that white-out (the liquid stuff) or thin white stickers placed over the text?
    I think it's this-

Attachment 15758

But with the 1980s look, lol
    Last edited by NinMicroSega; 12-24-2020 at 06:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    008FCAB3-322D-4D2C-B2F1-98836BC1E8F1.jpgThere was a Robert Plant album, here in the US, where a girl was hitch hiking with her naked ass (not
    Much pain an ass) facing towards you. It wasn’t even a month later that the record company covered it with a red box.

I think you mean this-

Attachment 15762

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

Auto correct sure jacked that one part about ass up.

Apparently it was Roger Waters.
    Last edited by gamevet; 12-26-2020 at 03:14 PM.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Mega Driver Hedgehog-in-TrainingMaster of Shinobi Gryson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NinMicroSega View Post
    I think it's this-

But with the 1980s look, lol
    I don't think correction tape was available until the 2000s (at least at the consumer level?). Those are probably just stickers on the box - easier to handle for the workers and easy to print (plus they were already using stickers to cover up the cart image on the box).

Thread Information