Quantcast

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sega Lord X and the Dreamcast in year 2000

Raging in the Streets Yharnamresident's Avatar

Default Sega Lord X and the Dreamcast in year 2000

This is a good video. But he was being a little bit ridiculous. He says he doesn't like how people say that the Dreamcast was doomed from the start, but then later in the video he said that Sega was financially struggling to release the Dreamcast in all territories. But watch it and see if you relate as someone who played the Dreamcast in 2000.

Certified F-Zero GX fanboy

Yeah I remember this unfold in real time back in the day. I pre-ordered a console, extra controller, Soul Caliber, and Power Stone for release day. I took 9/9 and 9/10 off from work so I could camp out at the mall to get it and then spend the next two days playing it. I also recall some of the Sega promos on MTV and stuff before advertising slowly faded away. I was disappointed when Gamestop refused to take pre-orders for that short lived Castlevania game that was announced for the Dreamcast and then reality hit me when one of the managers explained to me that there's a lot of games getting cancelled for the Dreamcast and that it means that the console is probably dead in the water. That's a shame because I really feel like Sega had a winner on their hands with the Dreamcast and hoped they could've stuck it out a little longer because I think it was as good as the PS2 and able to compete with the Gamecube when it was announced.
    Toys: PS4 Pro, PS3 Slim 250GB,PSVita, Xbox, Gamecube, Dreamcast, Saturn, JVC X'Eye, NES, SNES, Neo Geo, Neo Geo CD, Turbo Duo R, PS1, PS2

Movie Setup: Vizio M65, Fluance ES 5.1, Definitive Technology SC 4000, Sony STR-DN840, Apple TV 4k, Synology DS413j with 12TB of media.

Six Button Shooter Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert Cafeman's Avatar

That video was a nice stroll back memory lane to year 2000 or so. The Dreamcast was really on fire for Sega fans.

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hairlesswookiee View Post
    Yeah I remember this unfold in real time back in the day. I pre-ordered a console, extra controller, Soul Caliber, and Power Stone for release day. I took 9/9 and 9/10 off from work so I could camp out at the mall to get it and then spend the next two days playing it. I also recall some of the Sega promos on MTV and stuff before advertising slowly faded away. I was disappointed when Gamestop refused to take pre-orders for that short lived Castlevania game that was announced for the Dreamcast and then reality hit me when one of the managers explained to me that there's a lot of games getting cancelled for the Dreamcast and that it means that the console is probably dead in the water. That's a shame because I really feel like Sega had a winner on their hands with the Dreamcast and hoped they could've stuck it out a little longer because I think it was as good as the PS2 and able to compete with the Gamecube when it was announced.
    Sega had somewhere between 1.5 and 2 million unsold Dreamcasts sitting on shelves shortly after the PS2 had arrived. They had somewhere between $200-$300 million of debt sitting on shelves until it sold. They were pretty much bankrupt.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

I got my Dreamcast for very cheap ($25?) in 2002 with two controllers and VMUs. The games were dirt cheap. At the time, Dreamcast was completely eclipsed by PS2/GC/XB. Can't imagine how people who bought the DC new in 1999 or 2000 felt.

Quote Originally Posted by Blades View Post
    I got my Dreamcast for very cheap ($25?) in 2002 with two controllers and VMUs. The games were dirt cheap. At the time, Dreamcast was completely eclipsed by PS2/GC/XB. Can't imagine how people who bought the DC new in 1999 or 2000 felt.
    I got my money’s worth. The console got just as much playtime as my PS2.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

The run up to Christmas 2000 was just nuts on the Dreamcast and where even my import boss joked you're going to smash VISA. I remember it so well. I bought the USA version of Skies of Arcadia I bought the USA version of Quake 3 where I was finally able to enter my own ISP details into my DC and use my Freeserve account, something which SEGA Europe never allowed until the DC was dead. I bought the USA version of Grandia II and was also amazed at how good a translation Ubi had done with it and also the full set of the USA Samba de Amigo, The USA version of Test Drive Le Mans, The Pal version of MSR and the USA version of Speed Devils online

It was like they wasn't a week that some big or good DC title wasn't coming out. I had already played Grandia 2 the Japanese version and so knew what to expect, but Skies was incredible, Samba the best party/Christmas game ever made and also loved Speed Devils. But one of the best memories of Christmas 2000 on the DC was being able to play Quake 3 with my brother over the internet on the DC, while he was in his house and I was in mine.

I remember us teaming up to get this amazing player from Texas, who was just amazing on the game and killing us all, it was such a laugh and a riot. It still amazes me how well Quake played even over the DC slow modem
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

Master of Shinobi Mega Drive Bowlsey's Avatar

I've shared this story in the forum before, but I'd like to share it again here. In late 2000 I was 17 and was working at a HMV store here in England. We had a big Sega display in the shop for all things Dreamcast, which I tidied up and made it look as attractive as possible to shoppers. I must have spent most of my spare cash on Dreamcast games and peripherals back then, determined to do my bit to help Sega! Anyway everybody knew that the PS2 was on the horizon and pre-orders were flooding in, and Dreamcast sales were sadly dropping off a cliff. In a last ditch effort to lure consumers back Sega actually had Dreamcast consoles sent to us with DVD players bundled with them to try to combat the fact that the PS2 was a ready made DVD player out of the box! This was as desperate a move by Sega as it sounded and early the following year the fateful announcement was made by Sega top brass, and the rest is history. I was so sad on hearing the news I remember sitting down at work and burying my head in my hands. I was very emotional about the news as it felt totally unfair to me. The Dreamcast was an amazing games console with a superb library of games, but it lost out to a fucking DVD player. Obviously that doesn't tell the whole story and in hindsight Sega had been guilty of playing financial Russian roulette for many years at that point, but that's honestly how it felt at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Mega Drive Bowlsey View Post
    I've shared this story in the forum before, but I'd like to share it again here. In late 2000 I was 17 and was working at a HMV store here in England. We had a big Sega display in the shop for all things Dreamcast, which I tidied up and made it look as attractive as possible to shoppers. I must have spent most of my spare cash on Dreamcast games and peripherals back then, determined to do my bit to help Sega! Anyway everybody knew that the PS2 was on the horizon and pre-orders were flooding in, and Dreamcast sales were sadly dropping off a cliff. In a last ditch effort to lure consumers back Sega actually had Dreamcast consoles sent to us with DVD players bundled with them to try to combat the fact that the PS2 was a ready made DVD player out of the box! This was as desperate a move by Sega as it sounded and early the following year the fateful announcement was made by Sega top brass, and the rest is history. I was so sad on hearing the news I remember sitting down at work and burying my head in my hands. I was very emotional about the news as it felt totally unfair to me. The Dreamcast was an amazing games console with a superb library of games, but it lost out to a fucking DVD player. Obviously that doesn't tell the whole story and in hindsight Sega had been guilty of playing financial Russian roulette for many years at that point, but that's honestly how it felt at the time.

Lovely story, but I don't think the DVD played that much of a roll in the UK or the USA to be fair. I think in Japan it played a bigger roll where DVD sales when up like 600% or something silly like that on the PS2 launch. I think what won it for SONY was the hype over the PS2 power and how 3rd parties were falling over themself's to develop on it. Plus I said it time and time again, that MSG 2 E2000 trailer was a killer moment for me, it looked so good it made me want the PS2 and where those graphics and physics looked simply beyond the DC.

I also feel SEGA didn't help it's self in the window it had with key titles. SEGA GT was a crushing disappointment and didn't look graphically that great and I remember the boss of my Importshop losing thousands of pounds over that. He ordered hundreds of copies of the gaming in the thinking it would sell like hotcakes and feedback for us lot who got the game early wasn't great and the EDGE review killed it. This was the moment SEGA was meant to get its racing grown back

Then you look at the Japanese launch and the sheer cock up that was and rushing out software. SEGA really should have delayed the Japanese launch in Japan, until they had a million units to ship on day one. SEGA Rally 2 didn't just need to be Model 3 perfect but should have been a showcase for the modem with Online racing, rankings and uploading/download replays Ect. Shenmue should never have been released like it was, it was too short and when the game got going the game finished. Really IMO SEGA should have released Shemue 1/2 as one game

And how SEGA allowed JF Cecillon to the European boss was beyond me, his handling of the Pal launch, Pal Internet and Pal PR money was shocking. Not allowing users to enter their own internet provider details more or less killed DC major feature on day one in Pal land. Still great times and an awesome system
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Master of Shinobi Mega Drive Bowlsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Team Andromeda View Post
    Lovely story, but I don't think the DVD played that much of a roll in the UK or the USA to be fair. I think in Japan it played a bigger roll where DVD sales when up like 600% or something silly like that on the PS2 launch. I think what won it for SONY was the hype over the PS2 power and how 3rd parties were falling over themself's to develop on it. Plus I said it time and time again, that MSG 2 E2000 trailer was a killer moment for me, it looked so good it made me want the PS2 and where those graphics and physics looked simply beyond the DC.

I also feel SEGA didn't help it's self in the window it had with key titles. SEGA GT was a crushing disappointment and didn't look graphically that great and I remember the boss of my Importshop losing thousands of pounds over that. He ordered hundreds of copies of the gaming in the thinking it would sell like hotcakes and feedback for us lot who got the game early wasn't great and the EDGE review killed it. This was the moment SEGA was meant to get its racing grown back

Then you look at the Japanese launch and the sheer cock up that was and rushing out software. SEGA really should have delayed the Japanese launch in Japan, until they had a million units to ship on day one. SEGA Rally 2 didn't just need to be Model 3 perfect but should have been a showcase for the modem with Online racing, rankings and uploading/download replays Ect. Shenmue should never have been released like it was, it was too short and when the game got going the game finished. Really IMO SEGA should have released Shemue 1/2 as one game

And how SEGA allowed JF Cecillon to the European boss was beyond me, his handling of the Pal launch, Pal Internet and Pal PR money was shocking. Not allowing users to enter their own internet provider details more or less killed DC major feature on day one in Pal land. Still great times and an awesome system
    The DVD factor may not have been as big of an issue for Sega in Europe/US as it was in Japan, but it was still a major issue over here. DVD players were still quite expensive at the time and the PS2 being a DVD player out of the box, as well as being a games console, was a massive selling point for Sony.

The DVD factor may not have been as big of an issue for Sega in Europe/US as it was in Japan, but it was still a major issue over here. DVD players were still quite expensive at the time and the PS2 being a DVD player out of the box, as well as being a games console, was a massive selling point for Sony.

Having a DVD for the DC either meant SEGA lose loads on the Hardware or have the sell the DC at a massive price. I don't think SEGA could do either and by the time of the PS2 launch in the UK cheaper DVD players had come on the market and it was quite the big deal it was for the Japanese launch. I think hype won it for SONY with talk of 60 to 77 million polygons Vs the DC 3 million, the fabulous move of naming the CPU The 'Emotion' chip, A system so power Iraq had put in advanced orders, it can do Toy Story in real-time and that bloody E3 MSG 2 Trailer really won it.
    The PS2 could have been a CD based system and it would still have killed it
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

I had a Sony DVD player, right before I got the Dreamcast in 1999. I didn't buy a PS2 for DVD playback.

Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    I had a Sony DVD player, right before I got the Dreamcast in 1999. I didn't buy a PS2 for DVD playback.

I was going to buy a DVD player in the USA when on holidays in Florida in May of 1998, if not for spending a fortune in Universal studios, I would have. DVD playback might have helped in Japan where DVD sales went up by a ridiculous amount, but I didn't see the same impact in DVD sales in the USA or the UK. I think most wanted a PS2 for its power and games and given the games weren't the best at the start, no dout used the DVD player back. I get that as when I got my Import Mega-CD the games weren't there, but it doubled as a bedroom CD player and when hooked up to my Philips HI-Fi unit was a bloody good CD player. Not what I bought the system for mind LOL

It's all too easy to blame SONY or look at DVD. SEGA made silly mistakes with the DC that shouldn't have been there not just on software, but the design of the Pad was a total cock-up right from the start
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

The Dreamcast pad was horrible. The hard plastic everything wasn’t that comfortable either. They should have just brought over the 3D controller from the Saturn.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingSports Talker

I remember that Dreamcast DVD bundle well cos that's how i brought my Dreamcast. I had not long started my first proper job and got it with my first wages, i think it cost £200 for the console, DVD player and a game bundle. I knew the writing was on the wall before i got it but couldn't resist because the game library so good for the console and getting a DVD player at that time was a great deal.

I think people underestimate how much of a big factor the Playstation 2 being able to play DVD's was to its success, coupled with Sega's bad reputation with previous console failures and how well the PS1 did, Sega didn't stand a chance.

Thread Information