Quantcast

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sega Lord X and the Dreamcast in year 2000

Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    The Dreamcast pad was horrible. The hard plastic everything wasnít that comfortable either. They should have just brought over the 3D controller from the Saturn.
    Yes, spot on. I think that was the plan too until SEGA did some silly focus testing and people said they didn't like too many buttons. The DC pad at the very least should have had Twin sticks. When you need to fight back to win consumer support you do not need to make silly mistakes like cancelling 400,000 Pre orders in Japan, Poor joypad, rushing out software like with Rally 2
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

Yeah, I watched that video since I get recommendations from X on youtube.

And you know the first time I've heard about Dreamcast was years ago watching this video, (although not on youtube - which is where it is now) where they give a thorough explanation of the Dreamcast, how they fought with EA over sports games, how they burned Sega fans, and how at the end Sega was so desperate that they were giving away Dreamcast for free if people would subscribe to their online playing service

Last edited by Carl Sagan; 02-13-2021 at 02:48 PM.

Does he actually post on here?
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoltor View Post
    Japan on the other hand is in real danger, if Japanese men don't start liking to play with their woman, more then them selves, experts calculated the Japanese will be extinct within 300 years.

The Gaming Gangsta Master of Shinobi profholt82's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Da_Shocker View Post
    Does he actually post on here?
    I don't think so, but having watched a number of his videos over the years, it's clear that he peruses the site.

The Gaming Gangsta Master of Shinobi profholt82's Avatar

Also, this reminds me about a fun thread we did about the launch back in the stone ages.
    There was a contemporary CNN news report in there about the upcoming DC release. Sega's last hurrah.

https://www.sega-16.com/forum/showth...amcast-Release

Edit: fixed the link
    Last edited by profholt82; 06-25-2021 at 04:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Sagan View Post
    was so desperate that they were giving away Dreamcast for free if people would subscribe to their online playing service
    I actually thought that was a great business model by SEGA and real forward thinking by SEGA America
    Such a shame that you had muppets at SEGA Europe handling the DC and also SEGA Japan making so many mistakes in Japan and one of the worst system launches I can ever remember. SEGA America did so much right with the DC and was badly let down by SOJ & SOE.
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Wildside Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Team Andromeda View Post
    SEGA America did so much right with the DC and was badly let down by SOJ & SOE.
    This is the disjointed mess Sega was in at the time, I donít blame SOE or SOJ who would trust SOA after the Saturn and 32x ? The Saturn did well in Japan, started well in Europe where Sega had a long presence and brand recognition and it was SOA who pushed to cannibalise their own market with the 32x and well I donít need to go over their mistakes with the Saturn as they are well documented.But because SOA didnít want 2D games, Europe didnít get any either as no one would just translate for just Europe rather Europe and America. I remember the Dreamcast launch in the UK they didnít even want to put the Sega name to most of its advertising after the Saturn.

Quote Originally Posted by Sut View Post
    This is the disjointed mess Sega was in at the time, I donít blame SOE or SOJ who would trust SOA after the Saturn and 32x ? The Saturn did well in Japan, started well in Europe where Sega had a long presence and brand recognition and it was SOA who pushed to cannibalise their own market with the 32x and well I donít need to go over their mistakes with the Saturn as they are well documented.But because SOA didnít want 2D games, Europe didnít get any either as no one would just translate for just Europe rather Europe and America. I remember the Dreamcast launch in the UK they didnít even want to put the Sega name to most of its advertising after the Saturn.
    SEGA Europe made horrendous calls both in the 32 Bit and DC era's. It wasn't SEGA Europe who didn't want to put in the Sega name on the console but actually, it was SEGA Japan, with their piss poor focus testing (the same testing that said the Saturn pad had too many buttons) SEGA Japan should have delayed the launch of the DC in Japan until they were able to get 400,000 to 500,000 units ready. Sega Rally II needed to be delayed and its graphics improved and to be a showcase for the internet functions, Shenmue should never have been released as one chapter and words failed me on giving WOW the job of trying to get SEGA's driving grown back from SONY, rather than give it to AM#2 or AM#3 or a CS Team who had a much better history of racers

SEGA Europe was the worst of them all. The came up the 6 billion players tag line, only for Pal games needed to wait months after launch for a Pal DC game to have Internet gameplay and killed any hope of online gaming talking off on the DC in Europe thanks to not allowing Pal users to enter their own ISP (only to change that when the DC was already dead) They spend loads on football sponsorship only not to have a good football game, The UK DC launch ad didn't show any gameplay and instead people having their haircut. Soul Calibur big UK TV push didn't show any gameplay, but instead someone sending an e-mail and thought it would be better to launch Virtua Tennis during the New Your open than during Wimbledon

When you had muppets like that running SEGA Europe. SONY didn't have to do anything, other than laugh. So sad too when you looked at the brilliant job SEGA America were doing with AAA sports, games, slick and clever adverts, nice range of games, great support and push for online and even game cases that used proper Jewel cases and looked to use Japanese artwork.
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sut View Post
    Europe got a subtitled Shenmue 2, so thatís no excuse for them not having those titles either. Europe also got Deep Fear, which wasnít even considered for North America.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    Europe got a subtitled Shenmue 2, so thatís no excuse for them not having those titles either. Europe also got Deep Fear, which wasnít even considered for North America.
    Its swings and roundabouts. SEGA America brought out a number of games that never made it out in Pal land both for Saturn and DC. In Pal land, we never had the 2K NFL games (despite them being some of the best sports games of all time) No Get Bass 2, No Seaman, no Netlink and many Pal DC games with their internet code taken out. I believe Deep Fear was considered and finished for the USA market, just that SOA didn't think it was worth releasing it, since so few shops would actually buy stock

SEGA America was quite brilliant on the DC, other than not bringing REZ to it . Which for me is the 2nd best game, SEGA ever made
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Thread Information