Quantcast

Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Sega-16's Top 100 Mega Drive/Genesis games (please read post #5 before posting)

Road Rasher

Sorry for double post.

Some notes regarding the rep weighting:

My own reading and film watching is heavily influence by lists for which experts (as opposed to the general public) are polled (e. g. Sight & Sound, theyshootpictures.com, J. Pedar Zaneís The Top Ten, thegreatestbooks.org).

For a poll like this one to yield reasonable results itís very important that the voters are familiar with a large part of the library; ideally Sonic shouldnít have an edge over Pulseman just because voters are not familiar with the latter.

I read Ray Dalioís Principles at the time that I started this thread. Dalioís emphasis on "Believablilty Weighting" influenced me to incorporate something similar into this poll.
    My starting point was to use forum participation as a proxy for knowledge about the Mega Drive/Genesis. At first I intended to go by post count but then it occurred to me that rep power should work better.

Of course this approach has pitfalls: The "Insert Coin" and "Off Topic" sections each contain more posts than "Genesis Does". Itís certainly possible to rack up a lot of rep by posting funny cat memes (and formerly "babe pics") without having a clue about the games.
    And yes some very knowledgeable members post rarely. (Iím also mostly a lurker, posting for the most part only about a few "special interest" topics.)

Still I think itís safe to assume that on average members with 50+ rep points will be much more knowlegdeable about the Mega Drive library than newer members without rep.

I have to admit that I have myself some doubts about the rep weighting. Maybe it is an exaggeration to give the highest tier 3-times as much weight as the lowest? Having said that, itís not an option for me to suddenly the change the rules after the voting has already started and the "official results" will employ the rep weighting as described in post #5.
    However as stated earlier Iíll also make an equal-weighted alternative list available for those who don't like the rep weighting.
    At this point in time Iím not sure which list will yield the more reasonable results. My assumption is that the more members participate the better the rep weighted list will do relatively (in essence only the highest tier has a full vote; everyone below rep 50 has only a fractional vote; therefore more votes are needed to balance high rep outliers).

In any case as already pointed out the rep weighted list will definitely be more representative of the Sega-10 community.

Hopefully I donít give the impression that I donít appreciate contributions from members who have low rep. Iím very glad about every list that gets submitted.

Quote Originally Posted by Barone View Post
    Regarding the reputation thing, I've read some complaints here and there.
    What bothers me is the opposite. I have 188 rep points and I get the same weight of 50 points?
    Sorry, but I do feel like I do know the library much better than whoever is in that 50 points range and infinitely better than whoever started posting here just the other day.
    If I had introduced an additional tier for 100+ rep points only 3 voter would fall into it: You, Zebbe and goldenband
    And yes we all think that goldenbandís list should enjoy more credence but like I said above Iím not changing the rules now that the voting is already underway.
    But do not fear that your 138 spare rep points are wasted; in case you get involved in any tie-breaking youíll totally crush it.
    (In fact atm your Gauntlet IV beats Wani Wani World and Buck Rogers with 81 points each for the 100th place!)
    Last edited by Seingalt; 02-13-2021 at 06:22 AM. Reason: some clarifications

Death Adder's minion

Iím not an active user, I mostly lurk here, but when I saw this challenge to post a top20, I immediately wanted to do it! Damn, it was really hard.

1. Sonic 3 & Knuckles
    2. Gunstar Heroes
    3. Contra: The Hard Corps (JAP)
    4. Toejam & Earl
    5. Shadowrun
    6. Ranger-X (JAP)
    7. Rocket Knight Adventures
    8. Streets of Rage 3 / Bare Knuckle 3 (JAP)
    9. Streets of Rage 2
    10. Gain Ground
    11. Alien Soldier
    12. Musha Aleste
    13. Ristar: The Shooting Star
    14. Landstalker
    15. Herzog Zwei
    16. Sonic 2
    17. Castlevania Bloodlines (JAP, Vampire Killer)
    18. Splatterhouse 3
    19. Dynamite Headdy
    20. The Adventures of Batman and Robin

I find that the Japanese variants of the games mentioned above are more balanced/easy and more overall enjoyable for me to play.

The last four were hard to choose and were battling against these:
    Bonanza Brothers
    Comix Zone
    Honoo no Toukyuuji: Dodge Danpei
    Sub-Terrania
    Yu Yu Hakusho: Makyou Toitsusen
    X-Men 2: Clone Wars

-
    Canít wait to look at the final list

Master of Shinobi Mega Drive Bowlsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by maringouin11 View Post
    Iím not an active user, I mostly lurk here, but when I saw this challenge to post a top20, I immediately wanted to do it! Damn, it was really hard.

1. Sonic 3 & Knuckles
    2. Gunstar Heroes
    3. Contra: The Hard Corps (JAP)
    4. Toejam & Earl
    5. Shadowrun
    6. Ranger-X (JAP)
    7. Rocket Knight Adventures
    8. Streets of Rage 3 / Bare Knuckle 3 (JAP)
    9. Streets of Rage 2
    10. Gain Ground
    11. Alien Soldier
    12. Musha Aleste
    13. Ristar: The Shooting Star
    14. Landstalker
    15. Herzog Zwei
    16. Sonic 2
    17. Castlevania Bloodlines (JAP, Vampire Killer)
    18. Splatterhouse 3
    19. Dynamite Headdy
    20. The Adventures of Batman and Robin

I find that the Japanese variants of the games mentioned above are more balanced/easy and more overall enjoyable for me to play.

The last four were hard to choose and were battling against these:
    Bonanza Brothers
    Comix Zone
    Honoo no Toukyuuji: Dodge Danpei
    Sub-Terrania
    Yu Yu Hakusho: Makyou Toitsusen
    X-Men 2: Clone Wars

-
    Canít wait to look at the final list
    Great choices! I fully agree that it is very, very difficult to make a top 20 list of top Mega Drive titles. So many games that I love had to make way for my absolute top picks, and it wasn't easy at all. Your ranking list only serves to further demonstrate just how much quality software the Mega Drive has.

Master of Shinobi

So much love for SoR 3 in many lists, I'm a bit surprised but I think it's deserved.

It's really hard to stop at 20. I find it easier to do either a top 5 or a top 40
    Lists of MD games: officially licensed (~925) @ cart sizes @ Top 5 @ Top 250 @ Sonic hacks @ best title screens @ Arcade ports (150) @ best European games

Six Button Shooter Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert Cafeman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chilled View Post
    So much love for SoR 3 in many lists, I'm a bit surprised but I think it's deserved.
    I never played Bare Knuckle 3 so can't comment on that version. Although I find SOR3 to certainly be a fun and high quality game, I also find it to not be as good or as special as the first two. The music isn't as special, and for some reason the speed and double-tap runs and rolls tend to cheapen, or perhaps slightly spoil, the overall pace and feeling that SOR and SOR2 have. I even prefer SOR over SOR3, even with the older graphics and lack of certain moves.

In summary, I find SOR2 to be the #1 best beat'em up ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Cafeman View Post
    I never played Bare Knuckle 3 so can't comment on that version. Although I find SOR3 to certainly be a fun and high quality game, I also find it to not be as good or as special as the first two. The music isn't as special, and for some reason the speed and double-tap runs and rolls tend to cheapen, or perhaps slightly spoil, the overall pace and feeling that SOR and SOR2 have. I even prefer SOR over SOR3, even with the older graphics and lack of certain moves.

In summary, I find SOR2 to be the #1 best beat'em up ever.
    I agree and as much as I enjoy SOR3 (never played BK3) it was definitely off in a few departments which put it behind it's two prequels for me. Graphically SOR3 is the best of the trilogy, it looks superb and each character and enemy sprite is really detailed, and even in the control/gameplay department the game does deliver. Another cool feature is the multiple endings that the game offers depending on what the player did or failed to do at certain points. The reason I personally rank it last in the SOR trilogy is down to three things. Firstly the sound effects are off and sound pretty weak when compared to SOR2, especially the sound of the punches and weapon impacts. Secondly the music just doesn't work for me. I appreciate that Yuzo Koshiro was going for something different here and that he was experimenting but, despite some calling SOR3's soundtrack way ahead of it's time, it just isn't for me. Lastly, and perhaps the game's biggest flaw, is it's brutal difficulty. I'm all for a challenge and yes, most scrolling beat-'em-ups in the same genre on the Mega Drive do suffer from being too easy. The Golden Axe games, Turtles Hyperstone Heist and the first two SOR games are all pretty easy to complete, but SOR3 went way too far in the opposite direction. The damage that enemies deal out is ludicrous, and even on normal mode you'll have to fight like fuck to even get to one of the possible endings. Even the new moves like the roll and dash do little to make up for the damage even basic weaker enemies like Galsia and Donovan can do to your health bar. Like I said I never played the Jap version of Bare Knuckle 3, and I hear that it's far less brutal in the difficulty department, but I have to judge SOR3 as it was released here in PAL land as that's the game I've played multiple times over the years. So basically that was my long winded way of explaining why SOR 1&2 make it into my top 20 but SOR3 does not. It's not a bad game at all, and still one of the best beat-'em-ups for the system regardless but, for the reasons outlined, it's just not up there with the first two SOR titles.
    Last edited by Mega Drive Bowlsey; 02-17-2021 at 02:24 PM.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert RvR's Avatar

Updated again, post 23. Sorry I forgot how good the genesis port of Fatal Fury was and had to add it.

Death Adder's minion

Quote Originally Posted by Mega Drive Bowlsey View Post
    Great choices! I fully agree that it is very, very difficult to make a top 20 list of top Mega Drive titles. So many games that I love had to make way for my absolute top picks, and it wasn't easy at all. Your ranking list only serves to further demonstrate just how much quality software the Mega Drive has.
    Thanks, very appreciated!
    -

I highly recommend giving a try at BK3 or a patch to make it English. It's easier than SoR3 and have more content.
    I can see why some people would see SoR2 OST better than SoR3, but I prefer SoR3. It's still unbelievable to me that it had green light to release. I often listen to it while working.

For difficulty, same goes for Contra, I just can't get far in the US version. The JAP version have a health bar of 3.

Road Rasher

Default Mini-Reviews

If anyone is interested in writing a mini-review/appreciation for one of the Top games, these titles are still up for grabs:
    Contra
    Gunstar Heroes
    Phantasy Star IV
    Revenge of Shinobi
    Shinobi III
    Thunder Force IV / Lightening Force

The reviews should contain at least 100 words (no upper limit) and will be posted at the very front of this thread (post #1 or #2). If possible the review should be finished and submitted to me via PM by March 4th.

I'll write the one for Phantasy Star IV now and PM you in a bit.
    New user who wants access to the forum? PM Melf!

Road Rasher

Quote Originally Posted by Zebbe View Post
    I'll write the one for Phantasy Star IV now and PM you in a bit.
    Thanks, much appreciated!

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert MushaAleste's Avatar

1. MUSHA
    2. Monster World IV
    3. Sonic The Hedgehog
    4. Devil Crash MD
    5. Aero Blasters
    6. Shadow Dancer
    7. Xeno Crisis
    8. RAIDEN Trad
    9. Langrisser
    10. Battlemania Daiginjou
    11. Snow Bros
    12.ThunderForce IV
    13. Sonic 3
    14. Street Fighter II CE
    15. Pepenga Pengo
    16. Panorama Cotton
    17. Langrisser II
    18. Twinkle Tale
    19. Puyo Puyo Tsu
    20. Contra HC
    Last edited by MushaAleste; 02-23-2021 at 10:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Seingalt View Post
    If anyone is interested in writing a mini-review/appreciation for one of the Top games, these titles are still up for grabs:
    Contra
    Gunstar Heroes
    Phantasy Star IV
    Revenge of Shinobi
    Shinobi III
    Thunder Force IV / Lightening Force

The reviews should contain at least 100 words (no upper limit) and will be posted at the very front of this thread (post #1 or #2). If possible the review should be finished and submitted to me via PM by March 4th.
    I'll be happy to write a review for Revenge of Shinobi if that's OK? I'll PM it to you in a day or two. 🙂

Road Rasher

Quote Originally Posted by Mega Drive Bowlsey View Post
    I'll be happy to write a review for Revenge of Shinobi if that's OK? I'll PM it to you in a day or two. 🙂
    Great, I'm looking forward to your review!

Quote Originally Posted by Seingalt View Post
    Great, I'm looking forward to your review!
    I sent you my review via PM. Hope you like it!

Thread Information