Quantcast

Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 91516171819

Thread: Sega-16's Top 100 Mega Drive/Genesis games (please read post #5 before posting)

Road Rasher

Quote Originally Posted by Gryson View Post
    Perhaps this is a better way: Reduce the initial pool of games by using a nomination process. Everyone can nominate games that they think are worthy of being in a Top 100, and then once a final list is decided, everyone assigns ratings on a 1-10 scale to every nominated game they've played (and only to the ones they've played). It's still probably too cumbersome with a Top 100, but it could be reduced to a Top 50 or something to make it more manageable.

Quote Originally Posted by Gryson View Post
    My suggestion of nominations and ratings was really in response to the problem that the less known a game is, the less likely it is to appear on the list, even if it's considered one of the greats among a specific group of people. Basically, the list as it is now captures "the 20 most popular games," while doing ratings would capture "the 20 highest rated games."
    Could you please expand the Beep! Top 20 by another 20 or 30 games? Not only would that be very interesting information in itself but it may also provide some insights into how your recommended approach worked in practice and whether we should adopt a similar system (also I fear it won't be easy us to outdo Beep! in terms of participation ).
    Last edited by Seingalt; 03-10-2021 at 08:26 AM.

Master of Shinobi

This is overcomplicating things. Seingalt system is just fine as it is, with the rep system weighing in even from the start. The only flaw is not displaying the exact amount of number of games you could vote for. This should have been a top 20 only, with all the rest just for fun, and knowing that 21-100 is inherently flawed. Also yes iterations in sports games, sequels for the rest, will always be a problem.
    Lists of MD games: officially licensed (~925) @ cart sizes @ Top 5 @ Top 250 @ Sonic hacks @ best title screens @ Arcade ports (150) @ best European games

Nice work OP!
    On a wave of mutilation

https://minirevver.weebly.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Seingalt View Post
    You list Sonic 3 and S&K as two separate entries.
    While it isnít clear cut whether it is more sensible to think of these carts as two separate or one combined game, the lists are only comparable and I can only calculate the overall results if we all consistently follow the same approach on this issue.
    In post #5 I stated that for the purpose of this poll Sonic 3 & Knuckles counts as one game (cf. the segment under the caption "Rules").
    Therefore please change your list accordingly if you want it included for the calculation of the Top 100.
    Quote Originally Posted by English Invader View Post
    I've dropped Sonic and Knuckles for Rambo 3.
    How was this vote calculated?

Was S&K dropped for Rambo and then S3&K given a 9th place vote? Or was S&K dropped for Rambo and S3 alone given the 9th place vote?

Also, the table in post #2 indicates that S3&K was given nine 1st place votes. I only count eight from the table in post #4.
    Last edited by Night Driver; 03-12-2021 at 02:54 PM.

Road Rasher

Quote Originally Posted by Night Driver View Post
    How was this vote calculated?

Was S&K dropped for Rambo and then S3&K given a 9th place vote? Or was S&K dropped for Rambo and S3 alone given the 9th place vote?
    The former; votes for Sonic 3 alone counted towards S3&K. It's fine by me if someone prefers Sonic 3 alone as long as he doesn't list S&K, too.

Also, the table in post #2 indicates that S3&K was given nine 1st place votes. I only count eight from the table in post #4.
    The ninth 1st place comes from paulojr_mam, who voted for Sonic 3 alone.

Since you're apparently interested in this thread could you please give a feedback on why you didn't vote/participate. Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by Seingalt; 03-12-2021 at 04:23 PM.

Thanks for the clarification.

My question here was provoked by an academic interest in some of the data. Any time raw data is presented, I enjoy peering at it through various statistical lenses to see what secrets it might reveal.

As for why I didn't vote, it's a fair question. Unfortunately, I don't really have a satisfactory answer for you. There's no one specific reason. Time is certainly a factor, and it has that unique way of compounding every other factor, but beyond that, I'm not exactly sure why.

I'm sorry. I know it's irritating to ask a direct question and be given such a sloppy answer, but it's the best I can do right now.
    Last edited by Night Driver; 03-13-2021 at 01:52 AM. Reason: Grammar/Conciseness

Road Rasher

My question here was provoked by an academic interest in some of the data. Any time raw data is presented, I enjoy peering at it through various statistical lenses to see what secrets it might reveal.
    Then you might enjoy the Excel-file that I attached today to the bottom of post #3.
    It contains all 164 games that received votes as well as the score calculations for the rep-weighted as well as the equal-weighted list.
    I hope the attachment works.

Master of Shinobi

the best result would be obtained by a poll where everyone must rank from 1 to 900+ the whole library, but that doesn't seem very doable as I don't think anyone has ever played all the games at least once
    Lists of MD games: officially licensed (~925) @ cart sizes @ Top 5 @ Top 250 @ Sonic hacks @ best title screens @ Arcade ports (150) @ best European games

Six Button Shooter Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert Cafeman's Avatar

At least Bubsy didn't crack this top 100.

Quote Originally Posted by Seingalt View Post
    Then you might enjoy the Excel-file that I attached today to the bottom of post #3.
    It contains all 164 games that received votes as well as the score calculations for the rep-weighted as well as the equal-weighted list.
    I hope the attachment works.
    Thanks!

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingOutrunner

It's been a while since I've logged in, but I just wanted to stop by and thank Seingalt for putting this all together. After I noticed you posted this thread, I saw you made one for the Master System. Are you planning on doing this for any other consoles?

Quote Originally Posted by Cafeman View Post
    At least Bubsy didn't crack this top 100.
    Dude, low blow...

Road Rasher

Quote Originally Posted by BubsyFan1 View Post
    It's been a while since I've logged in, but I just wanted to stop by and thank Seingalt for putting this all together. After I noticed you posted this thread, I saw you made one for the Master System. Are you planning on doing this for any other consoles?
    Sadly the Master System thread didn't work our very well due to a lack of participation. Fortunately there already was an excellent poll on Sega8bit.com (I made the Master System poll because I thought that Sega-16 deserves it's own poll, the Sega8bit poll is getting a bit old and PSI only in 5th place kinda puzzled me).

I won't make polls for other consoles, however I intend to make a poll later this year exclusively for the new releases.

Quote Originally Posted by RvR View Post
    I never knew of Germany's love of Dune, and I didnt know they liked hockey either. I guess it makes sense since Switzerland is pretty good at hockey.
    (Also @proholt and Gryson). Forgot to mention something about the German market situation: Virgin had Dune II and Theme Park translated into German, as did EA with their sports games from 1994/95 onwards. Games like Landstalker, Soleil/Crusader of Centy or Contra Hard Corps/Mega Probotector were also fully localized (the latter with some major overhaul due to german youth protection laws against violence in the media. And the Landstalker translation was based on the Japanese version, not the slightly changed US release). Stuff like that had a major influence on local sales and market acceptance.
    The funny thing about an oxymoron is, even if you remove the ox, there'll always be a moron. The Question Remains: Y?

Six Button Shooter Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert Cafeman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BubsyFan1 View Post
    Dude, low blow...
    I must speak the truth! Bubsy ain't that great! In my opinion, is all. According to this authoritative and totally unbiased scientific poll, there are at least 100 games better than Bubsy! (You could have voted, then Bubsy would have made it into the top 100! )

j/k of course but your jab made my laugh.

Thread Information