Quantcast

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Sega-16's Top 100 Mega Drive/Genesis games (please read post #5 before posting)

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert RvR's Avatar

Whoops forgot about this thread.

Yes I meant SF champion edition.

Yes Splatterhouse 3 is awesome and among the best imo.

Golden's list is awesome haha I didnt expect to see Fatal Rewind in anyones list, that game was not enjoyable for me.

Also surprised to see two gamers who know their stuff praising Sword of Sodan when I saw a youtube video calling it the worst genesis game ever a few weeks ago. Definitely looking forward to Goati's list. It might even have some Mahjong!

Master of Shinobi

more lists like goldenband's please
    Lists of MD games: officially licensed (~925) @ cart sizes @ Top 5 @ Top 250 @ Sonic hacks @ best title screens @ Arcade ports (150) @ best European games

01. Shadow Dancer
    02. Streets of Rage 2
    03. Alien Soldier
    04. Shinobi III
    05. The Revenge of Shinobi
    06. Sonic the Hedgehog 2
    07. Phantasy Star IV
    08. Shining Force II
    09. Castlevania Bloodlines
    10. Ghouls 'n Ghosts
    11. Sub-Terrania
    12. Flashback
    13. Monster World IV
    14. Rocket Knight Adventures
    15. Thunder Force IV
    16. Fire Shark
    17. Twinkle Tale
    18. Atomic Runner
    19. Contra: Hard Corps
    20. Gunstar Heroes

Master of Shinobi Mega Drive Bowlsey's Avatar

Excellent top 20, Loggo! Man, there's some seriously great lists here! Can't find fault with any of them.

Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by Mega Drive Bowlsey View Post
    Excellent top 20, Loggo! Man, there's some seriously great lists here! Can't find fault with any of them.
    Without a shadow of a doubt, his top#1 pick, for a start.
    Lists of MD games: officially licensed (~925) @ cart sizes @ Top 5 @ Top 250 @ Sonic hacks @ best title screens @ Arcade ports (150) @ best European games

The Gaming Gangsta Master of Shinobi profholt82's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chilled View Post
    Chill, chilled.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher nihilblack's Avatar

Nice to see some enthusiasm for ye olde Shinobi!

VA1LT CHIP ENABLED Master of Shinobi OverDrone's Avatar

Loving some of these lists .Great to see stuff like Sub Terrainia and Atomic Runner make an appearance in here, they're unorthodox picks but arguably just as good as any other games you could hope to fit into a top 20.

Still working on mine. Not an easy task to rank 'em, but I'm pretty sure my top 5 exemplifies the spirit of the console well enough.

Blast Processing! Sports Talker Bear78's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OverDrone View Post
    Loving some of these lists .Great to see stuff like Sub Terrainia and Atomic Runner make an appearance in here, they're unorthodox picks but arguably just as good as any other games you could hope to fit into a top 20.
    Agreed. I am getting some good suggestions for games I never checked out. Mostly imports (PAL/NTSC-J).

counter of beans Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert Cafeman's Avatar

I agree with the many appearances of Flashback on these lists.

Master of Shinobi Mega Drive Bowlsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cafeman View Post
    I agree with the many appearances of Flashback on these lists.
    Oh hell yes! Flashback is easily one of the best adventure/platform games I've ever played. You can really tell it was originally designed for the Mega Drive.

Master of Shinobi

well and for the Amiga. But yes, also glad here to see it listed that much. Also those "import" games, etc. Inevitably, european and japanese exclusives will be underrepresented in the final list, that's why it's interesting to dive into this thread from time to time. Very nice that another one gets listed from time to time steadily. Onto the next one!

Mega Driver Hedgehog-in-TrainingMaster of Shinobi Gryson's Avatar

As I recall (I think from an issue of Retro Gamer), Flashback was originally designed for the Mega Drive and was ported to the Amiga, but the Amiga version came out first because it took so long to get the Mega Drive version approved.

Quote Originally Posted by chilled View Post
    Oh, come on. I realize that Shadow Dancer is not for everyone, but there's nothing wrong with the game's quality. Lack of "appeal" I can understand, but lack of "quality"? No, absolutely not. If anything, you have to admire how tight and laser-focused its design is. It's an all killer no filler action game that bombards you with set-piece after set-piece, very well-thought-out enemy placement, no copy-paste situations and no stretches of dead space. On top of that, you get a game with insane replayability, a high skill-ceiling, where you will constantly be discovering new ways to refine and further optimize your runs using progressively fewer resources, a scoring system that rewards efficiency and technical play, 3 unique difficulty settings and multiple ways to approach the game, ways which directly affect your strategies and change your playthrough (and, ultimately, the experience itself) on a fundamental level, (do you go for melee + shuriken or melee only? Do you use ninjutsus? Do you use the dog?). Furthermore, on a personal level, I happen to be a massive fan of the arcade-style Shinobi games, and the Mega Drive version of Shadow Dancer is the pinnacle of that gameplay formula as far as Iím concerned, which, automatically, makes it one of the very best 2D Action games of all time in my book.

Quote Originally Posted by Gryson View Post
    As I recall (I think from an issue of Retro Gamer), Flashback was originally designed for the Mega Drive and was ported to the Amiga, but the Amiga version came out first because it took so long to get the Mega Drive version approved.
    Correct! It's also Paul Cuisset's favorite version of the game.

(Retro Gamer, issue 118, p. 20-21)
    Last edited by Loggo; 01-26-2021 at 03:43 AM.

Master of Shinobi

I actually like the game, I just find it a bit too much to be in the top 20, let alone be the top 1 pick, but your arguments make a point and, in the end, that's the interesting part of making those lists. So I was right in teasing you afterall

Thread Information