Quantcast

Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819 LastLast

Thread: Sega-16's Top 100 Mega Drive/Genesis games (please read post #5 before posting)

Quote Originally Posted by chilled View Post
    it's the sheer difficulty (losing the powerup when you die, the one hit cheaps deaths with bullets or ships coming from nowhere...) that kills it. Still a top 5 game for me though.
    As far as Thunder Force IV goes, I completely agree with you chilled that everything is great about the game but the difficulty absolutely ruins it. I can't get past level 5 of the game, but it still makes it in the Top 20 purely for that unbelievable moment of the sun setting on the first level of the game and how good the mechanics are.

Quote Originally Posted by chilled View Post
    I understand Baloo's argument, but I still think the final list has its flaws when a game which EVERYONE considers a top 100 game is not in the 100 best games lists just because no one considers it a top 20 game. There's a flaw there. Maybe only posting the resulting top 20 would have been better. But then again we would have much less info and stats to talk about. I don't think Cool Spot is the only game missing among what we consider to be the best 100 games.

For starters, there's at leat 200 games that are better than Warrior of Rome II, Road Rash 3 or Rock'n'Roll racing...

ECCO II didn't even make it.
    Taste is subjective as it is. There are probably 5,000 other people out there who enjoy games in the same way goldenband does on a system that sold what, at least 30-40 million units in some form over the years? I'm not crying over Michael Jackson's Moonwalker and Eternal Champions not being on here, much as I enjoyed them as a kid. I might put them in the Top 100, but at the same time I recognize their flaws. I think this was a great job by the OP who put together a nice system of weighing, even if it does have some inconsistencies. Nothing is going to be "definitive" but I think this list is as close as it gets, for what it's worth. If the worst about this list is that someone preferred Road Rash 3 and Sensible Soccer to Cool Spot and Ecco the Dolphin II, I mean that to me is not the worst thing in the world. Ecco 1 was ranked pretty highly and isn't everyone's cup of tea.

But I want to genuinely ask you chilled, name me more than 10 games that are missing from this list that ABSOLUTELY needed to be there. I look at this list and every single Genesis game I enjoyed is on here. I probably wouldn't put three different versions of NHL Hockey, David Lara Cricket 96 or what have you in favor of some other sports games like Sports Talk Baseball, Tommy Lasorda Baseball, NBA Jam, and Lakers v Celtics in the NBA Finals, but clearly the users liked them.

I guess most of all I don't think my opinion is really worth that much more than the other folks on here to say that it was a travesty that this game was put on or left out. Same reason why I understand Mega Man and Street Fighter II ending up on this list, much as I think they are watered-down ports that are 25 years old.
    Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    The Sega Saturn was God's gift to humanity. This is inarguable fact!

Feedback Thread: http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...ack&highlight=

Six Button Shooter Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert Cafeman's Avatar

I've enjoyed this and will continue to enjoy reading this thread for some time.

To be honest though, I feel that the top 20 games are really the only valid ranked results, since all responders listed exactly 20 games. Ignoring the Rep Power weighting, which is unpredictable and changes the results, the deviation as you report games further and further from 20 would have more and more deviations from the norm. In summary, this list makes more sense when you only see the top 20 or even 30 titles, as compared to the top 60/70/80/90/100 in which you think 'why isn't Cool Spot in a Top 100 Genesis list??' . Blame Chaos Theory. Or Six Sigma. Or 4th dimensional thinking.

Hero of Algol

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    But I want to genuinely ask you chilled, name me more than 10 games that are missing from this list that ABSOLUTELY needed to be there.
    May I name 30 games (in no particular order) which are better than some of the entries in the final Top 100?

1. Slap Fight MD
    2. Snow Bros.: Nick & Tom
    3. Michael Jackson's Moonwalker
    4. Ecco: The Tides of Time
    5. Bio-Hazard Battle
    6. Splatterhouse 2
    7. Aero Blasters
    8. Wani Wani World
    9. Psycho Pinball
    10. Twinkle Tale
    11. Marvel Land
    12. Burning Force
    13. Rolling Thunder 2
    14. Rolling Thunder 3
    15. RoadBlasters
    16. Minnesota Fats: Pool Legend
    17. Wardner
    18. Pitfall: The Mayan Adventure
    19. Cool Spot
    20. Street Racer
    21. Fastest 1
    22. F1 Hero MD
    23. Ultracore
    24. Zero Tolerance
    25. Undeadline
    26. Elemental Master
    27. Bonanza Bros.
    28. Mickey Mania
    29. The Lion King
    30. Puyo Puyo 2

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingSports Talker

Quote Originally Posted by Barone View Post
    May I name 30 games (in no particular order) which are better than some of the entries in the final Top 100?

1. Slap Fight MD
    5. Bio-Hazard Battle
    6. Splatterhouse 2
    7. Aero Blasters
    8. Wani Wani World
    9. Psycho Pinball
    10. Twinkle Tale
    11. Marvel Land
    12. Burning Force
    13. Rolling Thunder 2
    14. Rolling Thunder 3
    15. RoadBlasters
    17. Wardner
    19. Cool Spot
    20. Street Racer
    21. Fastest 1
    22. F1 Hero MD
    23. Ultracore
    24. Zero Tolerance
    25. Undeadline
    26. Elemental Master
    27. Bonanza Bros.
    28. Mickey Mania
    29. The Lion King
    30. Puyo Puyo 2
    Most of these really should be in there, Elemental Master being left out is a big surprise especially.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training Like G's Avatar

It is a solid Top20 list, sadly I was too late to send my votes. Although one thing that impresses me is the lack of fighting games on the Top100, aside from the Street Fighters and Yuyu Hakusho. I mean, the Mortal Kombat games and the SNK ports (mainly Fatal Fury 2 and Samurai Showdown) may have been inferior to their SNES(debatably)/Arcade counterparts, but still of very high quality graphic/sound/gameplay-wise compared to the overall Genesis/MD library.

Mega Driver Hedgehog-in-TrainingMaster of Shinobi Gryson's Avatar

1. Slap Fight MD
    5. Bio-Hazard Battle
    6. Splatterhouse 2
    7. Aero Blasters
    8. Wani Wani World
    9. Psycho Pinball
    10. Twinkle Tale
    11. Marvel Land
    12. Burning Force
    13. Rolling Thunder 2
    14. Rolling Thunder 3
    15. RoadBlasters
    17. Wardner
    19. Cool Spot
    20. Street Racer
    21. Fastest 1
    22. F1 Hero MD
    23. Ultracore
    24. Zero Tolerance
    25. Undeadline
    26. Elemental Master
    27. Bonanza Bros.
    28. Mickey Mania
    29. The Lion King
    30. Puyo Puyo 2
    Makes me think: Some of these are quite obscure, meaning they weren't released worldwide and/or don't come up in conversation much. I think Top 20 lists and such tend to not favor more obscure titles because they don't come to mind as readily and people might be more hesitant to include them over the more popular titles.

Road Rasher

1. Slap Fight MD
    5. Bio-Hazard Battle
    6. Splatterhouse 2
    7. Aero Blasters
    8. Wani Wani World
    9. Psycho Pinball
    10. Twinkle Tale
    11. Marvel Land
    12. Burning Force
    13. Rolling Thunder 2
    14. Rolling Thunder 3
    15. RoadBlasters
    17. Wardner
    19. Cool Spot
    20. Street Racer
    21. Fastest 1
    22. F1 Hero MD
    23. Ultracore
    24. Zero Tolerance
    25. Undeadline
    26. Elemental Master
    27. Bonanza Bros.
    28. Mickey Mania
    29. The Lion King
    30. Puyo Puyo 2
    or El Viento and Valis III?

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert RvR's Avatar

I think its also the style of the difficulty. I can think of plenty of shmups that punish you a lot worse than TF4 does. Checkpoint shmups with one hit deaths and screens full of bullets. But its all worth it when you finally get that ray of death that lets you cruise through a level or two before you die again. TF4 you will get a power up that looks powerful but then it takes a while to kill a basic enemy. Of course this is forgivable when every level can blow you away with its presentation 3 times over. Just not one of my favorites.

1. Slap Fight MD
    5. Bio-Hazard Battle
    6. Splatterhouse 2
    7. Aero Blasters
    8. Wani Wani World
    9. Psycho Pinball
    10. Twinkle Tale
    11. Marvel Land
    12. Burning Force
    13. Rolling Thunder 2
    14. Rolling Thunder 3
    15. RoadBlasters
    17. Wardner
    19. Cool Spot
    20. Street Racer
    21. Fastest 1
    22. F1 Hero MD
    23. Ultracore
    24. Zero Tolerance
    25. Undeadline
    26. Elemental Master
    27. Bonanza Bros.
    28. Mickey Mania
    29. The Lion King
    30. Puyo Puyo 2
    Well, Top lists can never be definitive - (relative) obscurity, personal tastes and changes in the general genre preferences over the years will always lead to different outcomes and perceived omissions when such lists are compiled, no matter how big the data pool gets. Are you sure you are giving Lord Monarch or Advanced Daisenryaku their proper due, just because they weren't ever released outside of Japan? Wouldn't someone with a deep love of sports games object to your apparent slight of the genre?

You could try and get a "better" list by expanding the data pool - ask more people, ask for larger lists of games. But that actually increases the chance that obscure titles fall by the wayside, since the general audience is more familiar with the games that are already better known, so those trend to be named more often than less-famous ones.

Should you only use curated lists by acknowledged "experts", then? Well, first of all you will probably hardly find anyone on whom everybody can agree that he or she has a generally applicable, purely objective opinion - these posts will always be subjective to one degree or another. For example, while I acknowledge that there are technically good Shmups out there, chances are that none of my personal lists will ever contain a game from that genre - I don't care much about them, so there is a blind spot. With others, these blind spots cover sports games, or strategy, or RPGs

So, for those reasons or many others, these lists will always change or vary to one degree or another, or have some perceived issue someone might object to and be able to argue his position. That alone doesn't make anyone's tastes better or worse, and certainly not objectively so.

I recently mentioned german top ten lists from back in the day and dug into my magazine archives to have another look at them. The results were... Interesting. And I am pretty sure you won't like them. I'll copy them into a different post shortly.
    Last edited by Phantar; 03-09-2021 at 09:58 AM.
    The funny thing about an oxymoron is, even if you remove the ox, there'll always be a moron. The Question Remains: Y?

I mentioned in an earlier posts how The German "Sega Magazin", a video game zine officially sanctioned by Sega and only covering Sega consoles, regularly published charts of what readers thought were the best Mega Drive games (or Sega games in general) way into 1998. I recently had another look at these charts and the results were... Interesting, to say the least.

Sega Magazin printed a full top ten for Mega Drive games until October 1996, afterwards coverage of saturn games became more important and the space was reduced first to a Top8 and finally a Top7 list. Here's the last Top 10 from issue 10/1996:

1. Dune II
    2. Sonic 3
    3. Sonic & Knuckles
    4. Landstalker
    5. Earthworm Jim 2
    6. Micro Machines 96
    7. Theme Park
    8. Vectorman
    9. Story of Thor / Beyond Oasis
    10. Donald Duck in: Maui Mallard

Maui Mallard, huh. Interesting, did anyone mention this game? Here's another title that reviewed pretty good but didn't chart here, like, at all. Some might consider that an oversight.

So this list was created in late 96, I believe shortly after the release of Toy story. The Genesis lifespan was pretty much at its end already. However, these charts might still be influenced by a few more recent releases from back in the day. So how did things look like about two years later?

Well, here's the final top 7 for the Mega Drive from issue 4 (April) 1998:

1. Dune II
    2. Sonic 3D
    3. Fifa soccer '97
    4. International Superstar Soccer Deluxe
    5. Sonic & Knuckles
    6. Sonic 3
    7. Story of Thor

You know, trying to look at it as objectively as possible, I find this list much worse. Sonic 3D? Fifa friggin 97? But well, these were among the last games Genesis fans in '98 had received in about a year (plus, Germany is crazy for Soccer, so it's not surprising to me that readers would rank the then-newest Soccer titles highly in their opinion - even if the early FIFA title have aged horribly, back then they were among the best console soccer games there were), so that might have factored in as well. Interesting that Dune II still (or again) holds the top spot after probably more than 18 months. (It was part of the printed charts for 33 months in a row, in fact).

And for funsies, here is another German Top 10 list, from the multiplatform magazine "Mega Fun" (issue 4/96):

1. Nhl 96
    2. Landstalker
    3. Super Street Fighter 2
    4. Dune II
    5. Theme Park
    6. Shining Force 2
    7. Shining Force
    8. Fifa Soccer 96
    9. Eternal Champions
    10. Tomcat Alley (Sega Cd)

The listings of Dune and Theme Park certainly stand out.

What can we take away from this?
    - German Mega Drive Fans in the 90s loved Dune
    - they also loved sports games, in particular the Fifa series. These days, hardly anyone would touch the early FIFA games with a ten foot pole.
    - they also loved strategy games, in particular Theme Park.

Overall a very interesting time capsule, I think.
    Last edited by Phantar; 03-09-2021 at 04:10 AM. Reason: Fixed typos due to originally writing this on a smartphone
    The funny thing about an oxymoron is, even if you remove the ox, there'll always be a moron. The Question Remains: Y?

Master of Shinobi

1. Slap Fight MD
    5. Bio-Hazard Battle
    6. Splatterhouse 2
    7. Aero Blasters
    8. Wani Wani World
    9. Psycho Pinball
    10. Twinkle Tale
    11. Marvel Land
    12. Burning Force
    13. Rolling Thunder 2
    14. Rolling Thunder 3
    15. RoadBlasters
    17. Wardner
    19. Cool Spot
    20. Street Racer
    21. Fastest 1
    22. F1 Hero MD
    23. Ultracore
    24. Zero Tolerance
    25. Undeadline
    26. Elemental Master
    27. Bonanza Bros.
    28. Mickey Mania
    29. The Lion King
    30. Puyo Puyo 2
    OH MY GOD!
    Lists of MD games: officially licensed (~925) @ cart sizes @ Top 5 @ Top 250 @ Sonic hacks @ best title screens @ Arcade ports (150) @ best European games

Quote Originally Posted by Gryson View Post
    Makes me think: Some of these are quite obscure, meaning they weren't released worldwide and/or don't come up in conversation much. I think Top 20 lists and such tend to not favor more obscure titles because they don't come to mind as readily and people might be more hesitant to include them over the more popular titles.
    Yeah, to be perfectly honest I haven't played 3/4s of that list. Most are Japan only exclusives that many people have never played.

Slap Fight MD - Japan Only

Snow Bros.: Nick & Tom - Japan Only

Michael Jackson's Moonwalker - While I like Moonwalker, I can understand why people dont. It is repetitive and gets boring after a while. The arcade game is much better. Do not think it is definitely a Top 100 Genesis game.

Ecco: The Tides of Time - As previously stated, a worthy candidate for entry in the Top 100.

Bio-Hazard Battle - Never personally played it or heard of it, but shmups were not a category favored by the voters this time around.

Splatterhouse 2 - Splatterhouse 3 made the list, not sure this is a necessary inclusion.

Aero Blasters - Another obscure shmup.

Wani Wani World - Japan Only

Psycho Pinball- UK Only release. Plus, is a pinball game really a definitive Top 100 entry?

Twinkle Tale - Japan Only

Marvel Land - Japan Only

Burning Force - Was this released in the US? Looks like Space Harrier on a bike.

Rolling Thunder 2 - Obscure game, I doubt that many have played.

Rolling Thunder 3 - Same deal, a weird one that was only released in North America.

RoadBlasters - I don't think this game is very good to be honest.

Minnesota Fats: Pool Legend - I like this game, but I dont think it is necessarily a lock for the Top 100. But a worthy inclusion.

Wardner - I have never heard of this game.

Pitfall: The Mayan Adventure - A worthy candidate for the Top 100.

Cool Spot - Worthy of inclusion in the Top 100.

Street Racer - I am not a huge fan of the racing games on the Genesis myself, but don't feel like this is necessarily a Top 100 game.

Fastest 1 - Japan Only

F1 Hero MD - Japan Only

Ultracore - Unreleased game only for the Analogue. This is a nerd pick and shouldn't belong in a top 100 list in my opinion.

Zero Tolerance - Probably worthy of being in the Top 100.

Undeadline - Another obscure Japan only shmup.

Elemental Master - Another obscure shmup.

Bonanza Bros. - It looks a little rough graphics-wise these days, but probably a worthy candidate for the Top 100.

Mickey Mania - A very worthy game of inclusion.

The Lion King - Not as good as Aladdin, but a solid game in its own right. Probably could crack the Top 100.

Puyo Puyo 2 - Japan only.

I mean, of the 30 games you listed I'd say 9-10 realistically had a chance of being in a normal Top 100 list. I think anyone posting on here is a real fan of the Genesis, but that doesnt mean that everyone who hasn't played the most obscure Toaplan games and shmups from Japan isnt knowledgable on what the best games for the system are. Feel free to disagree, but I tend to agree with some in this thread that shmups are not the end all be all best games for the system. They are a nerd genre and overly difficult to play in most respects, with many never being released stateside. I know people get all touchy about lists and love to debate them, but I don't think it was a crime that any of these games were left off.

And again, I don't even think there were necessarily ten games in the original list that absolutely should not have been there.
    Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    The Sega Saturn was God's gift to humanity. This is inarguable fact!

Feedback Thread: http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...ack&highlight=

The Gaming Gangsta Master of Shinobi profholt82's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Phantar View Post
    I mentioned in an earlier posts how The German "Sega Magazin", a video game zine officially sanctioned by Sega and only covering Sega consoles, regularly published charts of what readers thought were the best Mega Drive games (or Sega games in general) way into 1998. I recently had another look at these charts and the results were... Interesting, to say the least.

Sega Magazin printed a full top ten for Mega Drive games until October 1996, afterwards coverage of saturn games became more important and the space was reduced first to a Top8 and finally a Top7 list. Here's the last Top 10 from issue 10/1996:

1. Dune II
    2. Sonic 3
    3. Sonic & Knuckles
    4. Landstalker
    5. Earthworm Jim 2
    6. Micro Machines 96
    7. Theme Park
    8. Vectorman
    9. Story of Thor / Beyond Oasis
    10. Donald Duck in: Maui Mallard

Maui Mallard, huh. Interesting, did anyone mention this game? Here's another title that reviewed pretty good but didn't chart here, like, at all. Some might consider that an oversight.

So this list was created in late 96, I believe shortly after the release of Toy story. The Genesis lifespan was pretty much at its end already. However, these charts might still be influenced by a few more recent releases from back in the day. So how did things look like about two years later?

Well, here's the final top 7 for the Mega Drive from issue 4 (April) 1998:

1. Dune II
    2. Sonic 3D
    3. Fifa soccer '97
    4. International Superstar Soccer Deluxe
    5. Sonic & Knuckles
    6. Sonic 3
    7. Story of Thor

You know, trying to look at it as objectively as possible, I find this list much worse. Sonic 3D? Fifa friggin 97? But well, these were among the last games Genesis fans in '98 had received in about a year (plus, Germany is crazy for Soccer, so it's not surprising to me that readers would rank the then-newest Soccer titles highly in their opinion - even if the early FIFA title have aged horribly, back then they were among the best console soccer games there were), so that might have factored in as well. Interesting that Dune II still (or again) holds the top spot after probably more than 18 months. (It was part of the printed charts for 33 months in a row, in fact).

And for funsies, here is another German Top 10 list, from the multiplatform magazine "Mega Fun" (issue 4/96):

1. Nhl 96
    2. Landstalker
    3. Super Street Fighter 2
    4. Dune II
    5. Theme Park
    6. Shining Force 2
    7. Shining Force
    8. Fifa Soccer 96
    9. Eternal Champions
    10. Tomcat Alley (Sega Cd)

The listings of Dune and Theme Park certainly stand out.

What can we take away from this?
    - German Mega Drive Fans in the 90s loved Dune
    - they also loved sports games, in particular the Fifa series. These days, hardly anyone would touch the early FIFA games with a ten foot pole.
    - they also loved strategy games, in particular Theme Park.

Overall a very interesting time capsule, I think.
    Great info, thanks for posting. It's interesting to get a contemporary perspective from a European source. The vast majority of similar info I've seen over the years has been NA or JPN.

Regarding the inclusion of Theme Park, that game received a lot of attention in the US as well. It came out at a time when similar amusement park simulation games were all the rage on the PC format, so it was exciting to see a game of the same ilk on the Genesis. I must have rented it nearly a dozen times before receiving it for either Christmas or my birthday in 95 or thereabouts.

In retrospect, the fact that the game runs as well as it does considering how much is packed into it is a testament to the programming. But that said, when your park gets large, the action can slow down dramatically. Nowadays, I find it better to revisit this game on the 3do or Playstation as a result, but I certainly played an immense amount of it on the Genesis back in the day, and find it to still be very playable and impressive today, it's just that there are better gaming experiences to be had on more powerful hardware.

Hero of Algol

Yeah, to be perfectly honest I haven't played 3/4s of that list. Most are Japan only exclusives that many people have never played.
    That's not my fault.
    Actually, it only goes to reinforce the importance of the weighted lists.

SSplatterhouse 3 made the list, not sure this is a necessary inclusion.
    Not, it didn't.
    We have three Road Rash entries though. And three NHL games.

Aero Blasters - Another obscure shmup.
    Obscure?
    It was released both in US and Japan for the PCE and MD. Besides also being an arcade game.

Marvel Land - Japan Only
    It was release in US, EU, JP.

Burning Force - Was this released in the US?
    US, Japan, Europe, Brazil.

Rolling Thunder 2 - Obscure game, I doubt that many have played.
    "The home version of Rolling Thunder 2 was well received. Its mostly highly positive review scores included 92% from Computer & Video Games,[2] 23/25 from GamePro,[3] 85% from Mean Machines,[4] 90% from MegaTech,[5] and, retrospectively, 8/10 from Sega-16."
    From wikipedia.

Ultracore - Unreleased game only for the Analogue. This is a nerd pick and shouldn't belong in a top 100 list in my opinion.
    It was released in cartridges both by Columbus Circle and SLG.
    I'd say it's as much as a "nerd pick" as Xeno Crisis, which made the list.

Elemental Master - Another obscure shmup.
    I don't think it's obscure. High scores across the board, release in US in 1993.
    A game like Battle Mania Daiginjou made the final list.

I mean, of the 30 games you listed I'd say 9-10 realistically had a chance of being in a normal Top 100 list.
    More like 15 games after the corrections.

I tend to agree with some in this thread that shmups are not the end all be all best games for the system. They are a nerd genre and overly difficult to play in most respects, with many never being released stateside. I know people get all touchy about lists and love to debate them, but I don't think it was a crime that any of these games were left off.
    Shmups are nerd games as much as US sports titles are jocks' choices.

And again, I don't even think there were necessarily ten games in the original list that absolutely should not have been there.
    Do we really need 2 Micro Machines games, 3 NHL games, 3 Road Rash games and one horrible port of 8-bit games though?
    I don't think so.

I dare to compare:
    10 Unlisted games 10 Listed Games
    Elemental Master NHL Hockey / EA Hockey
    Street Racer Super Monaco GP
    Splatterhouse 2 Road Rash 3
    Mickey Mania Tiny Toon Adventures: Buster's Hidden Treasure
    Twinkle Tale Sub-Terrania
    Marvel Land NHL 96 / Elitserien 96
    Bio-Hazard Battle Micro Machines 2: Turbo Tournament
    Rolling Thunder 3 Mega Man - The Wily Wars / Rockman Mega World
    Ecco: The Tides of Time Road Rash
    Cool Spot Rock n' Roll Racing
    Last edited by Barone; 03-09-2021 at 10:51 AM.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert RvR's Avatar

I never knew of Germany's love of Dune, and I didnt know they liked hockey either. I guess it makes sense since Switzerland is pretty good at hockey.

Thread Information