Quantcast

Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Sega-16's Top 100 Mega Drive/Genesis games (please read post #5 before posting)

Hero of Algol

Certainly interesting results and analysis.

After the famous/infamous CGR review, MUSHA was boosted to a level and put on a pedestal that it doesn't really deserve IMO.
    Game is good and all but there are other solid and frankly better shooters on the system.
    A couple years after and the CGR inflation seems to be gone. And, thankfully, so is Mark and his "journalistic reviews".

Now, Castlevania Bloodlines shouldn't be in the top 10 either. But, hey, the sheer amount of youtubers who hype the much slower, duller and clumsier SCIV as the best game evaaar should be a hint.
    Character platformers and long running franchises are much more frequently covered and hyped nowadays.

The access to flashcarts and all forms of emulation also destroyed the elusive aura that some said "hidden gems" had at some point.

And I guess Sonic The Hedgehog out of Top 10 fits perfectly the revisionist SOA-biased narrative that it was successful mostly due to Kalinske.
    Shocked to see that the amazing Greendog, Chakan, Eternal Champions and Dinosaurs for Hire were left out. Oh, well.

Super Monaco GP is an awful F1 game and extremely overrated, by the way. There are much, much better F1 games on the system but they were never popular and most are Japanese exclusives.
    Mega Man - The Wily Wars / Rockman Mega World is another rather awful choice. Again, I can only credit the cult following around the series for that.

Aladdin better than Quackshot? Yikes.
    Last edited by Barone; 03-03-2021 at 06:09 PM.

Road Rasher

Nhl 94 (or original or 93) is easily a top 10 imo. Its a timeless classic that anyone can enjoy couch co op, easy to play compared to something like golf or madden. I still play it regularly, its the game i played the most and still enjoy it

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert RvR's Avatar

Agreed there are better shmups than Musha, and better racing games than Monaco. I think Bloodlines deserves to be top 20 for sure and has a strong case for top 10. I like the art style a lot more than SC4 and having Eric added was a great way to add variety while also offsetting the high difficulty of the late stages for less than hardcore gamers.

Well, I can get behind Aladdin ranking higher than Quackshot - the animation is amazing, the gameplay a lot tighter. In the end it comes down to whether or not you prefer faster, fluid action-style performance or the slower, more methodical approach in your platformers. With console games in particular, the former generally finds more approval than the latter.

While I agree that Bloodlines profits a lot from the Castlevania series bonus, I would also agree that it deserves, if maybe not Top10, then at least Top 20 status. It's tight, atmospheric and showcases a number of impressive effects, and it's a game that's very enjoyable to pick up one more even after completing it several times. Wily Wars though... Yeah, that one definitely made the list on name recognition alone... It doesn't look much better than the three NES games it's based on and even plays worse, so seeing that ranking so high in a Genesis Top 100 also irks me a bit.

I am kind of glad that Sonic 1 has dropped out of the Top Ten. There was always the derision that the Genesis had "Three Sonic Games and not much else" (I blame a certain Penny Arcade comic for that notion to last that long). So I am glad to see that while many still acknowledge the game changing nature of Sonic the Hedgehog, people now tend to realize that the platform has much, much more to offer as well.

And speaking of game changers, I would also say that sports games like NHL 94 or Fifa international Soccer (yes, I said it) would deserve a higher ranking just for that fact alone. Problem is, sports games just age horribly (The Fifa series certainly way worse than the NHL games), so I can also kind of see how these titles are usually not highly considered when people wish to revisit old platforms and would rather look for something with a more "ageless" appeal. Same goes for racing games. Let's not forget that back in the day the graphics and speed of Virtua Racing was immensely impressive, but 25-30 years later, the glitz has come off, and by comparison something like e.g. Super Monaco GP II simply has more, longer lasting gameplay to offer.

As for Shmups... Seems like the genre just had fallen out of fashion (again). When tastes change again, in a few years, things might once more look completely different on that front.
    Last edited by Phantar; 03-04-2021 at 03:29 AM. Reason: Fixed a few typos
    The funny thing about an oxymoron is, even if you remove the ox, there'll always be a moron. The Question Remains: Y?

Super Sexy Sega Master of Shinobi cowboyscowboys's Avatar

Didn't expect Aladdin to finish so high.

Eternal Champions and Dinosaurs for Hire would both be on my top 100.
    Beat Em Up- Streets of Rage 2
    Platformer- Sonic 3 and Knuckles
    Run and Gun- Gunstar Heroes
    Adventure- Story of Thor
    Action- Shinobi 3

Master of Shinobi Mega Drive Bowlsey's Avatar

I really can't argue with the games represented in the 20-11 rankings. They are all excellent games, although for me both Rocket Knight Adventures and Landstalker are top 10 Mega Drive games, so the fact they didn't quite make it into the top 10 really makes me curious to see the final rankings.

Road Rasher

I just updated post #1 and #2, starting to reveal the Top 10 and the mini-reviews.

I'll post two Top 10 games each day.

All mini-reviews go to post #1.
    The stats are added to the table in post #2 (for easier comparison).

Some games have more than one review; they are posted in the order in which I received them.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Seingalt; 03-06-2021 at 04:29 AM.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert RvR's Avatar

I wonder how much of the shift is simply due to the specification that we should be prioritizing quality over personal affection for the game. Sonic 1 losing a few spots and Shinobi 3 surpassing Revenge of Shinobi both suggest that. Seingalt for the alternate list are all unlisted higher numbers identical to the main list? Also great job on the first 2 mini reviews guys.

Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    considering there are far better versions of both games to be played in 2021
    I never got this. BITD those consoles were famous for their watered-down but decent ports of arcade (or other consoles/PC) games. Now if you leave out those just because there's a better version anywhere, or it's not the original game, you leave out a lot of the most played/hyped/sold games back then. It leaves you with a stripped-down catalog which doesn't represent the actual game library the console had.
    Lists of MD games: officially licensed (~925) @ cart sizes @ Top 5 @ Top 250 @ Sonic hacks @ best title screens @ Arcade ports (150) @ best European games

Master of Shinobi Mega Drive Bowlsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RvR View Post
    I wonder how much of the shift is simply due to the specification that we should be prioritizing quality over personal affection for the game. Sonic 1 losing a few spots and Shinobi 3 surpassing Revenge of Shinobi both suggest that. Seingalt for the alternate list are all unlisted higher numbers identical to the main list? Also great job on the first 2 mini reviews guys.
    Hey thanks mate. It was a labour of love.

Road Rasher

Seingalt for the alternate list are all unlisted higher numbers identical to the main list?
    No, I just had no time to continue with the alternate list. It's also more cumbersome than the rep-weighted list because so much tie breaking is required.

Regarding Sonic 1, it seems that quite a number of participants limited themselves to one game per series this time.

Road Rasher

Seingalt for the alternate list are all unlisted higher numbers identical to the main list?
    I expanded the equal-weighted list a little bit. All eight new entrants are now included.

Except for Ghostbusters every game in the alternative Top 100 received a least 2 votes.
    Last edited by Seingalt; 03-04-2021 at 05:56 PM.

Also great job on the first 2 mini reviews guys.
    Thanks. It was kind of a last-minute thing, hadn't expected for the game to end up in the overall top ten, but enjoyed writing it nevertheless.
    The funny thing about an oxymoron is, even if you remove the ox, there'll always be a moron. The Question Remains: Y?

The Gaming Gangsta Master of Shinobi profholt82's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Barone View Post
    Certainly interesting results and analysis.

After the famous/infamous CGR review, MUSHA was boosted to a level and put on a pedestal that it doesn't really deserve IMO.
    Game is good and all but there are other solid and frankly better shooters on the system.
    A couple years after and the CGR inflation seems to be gone. And, thankfully, so is Mark and his "journalistic reviews".

Now, Castlevania Bloodlines shouldn't be in the top 10 either. But, hey, the sheer amount of youtubers who hype the much slower, duller and clumsier SCIV as the best game evaaar should be a hint.
    Character platformers and long running franchises are much more frequently covered and hyped nowadays.

The access to flashcarts and all forms of emulation also destroyed the elusive aura that some said "hidden gems" had at some point.

And I guess Sonic The Hedgehog out of Top 10 fits perfectly the revisionist SOA-biased narrative that it was successful mostly due to Kalinske.
    Shocked to see that the amazing Greendog, Chakan, Eternal Champions and Dinosaurs for Hire were left out. Oh, well.

Super Monaco GP is an awful F1 game and extremely overrated, by the way. There are much, much better F1 games on the system but they were never popular and most are Japanese exclusives.
    Mega Man - The Wily Wars / Rockman Mega World is another rather awful choice. Again, I can only credit the cult following around the series for that.

Aladdin better than Quackshot? Yikes.
    Sheesh. Different strokes for different strokes, my man. I'll speak to the quality of two of the games which received your broad stroke put downs.

I'd venture to say that most Genesis shoot em up fans were familiar with MUSHA long before youtube videos came along. I know I was. It features graphical effects that were never duplicated in the years after, and even resemble Mode 7 effects, and it came out in 1990 on a 4 meg cart for God's sake. But beyond the beautiful visuals, it has top notch shoot em up gameplay. It's fun as heck. And it is accessible compared to so many similar games in the genre. A perfect example of easy to pick up and play (unlike say Gaires, which made the list), yet difficult to master. MUSHA is well rounded and fun for anyone, the serious shmupper or the casual, which is (in my opinion) why it is highly regarded by so many.

And while Super Monaco GP may not be to your taste, it has more depth than even any Saturn racer that I can think of. More tracks, more cars and teams, multiple seasons, the game was an embarrassment of riches for Genesis owners in 1989. When I got the game in the early 90s, I'd never experienced that much depth in a racing game before. It was revolutionary for the home video game market. Perhaps the physics aren't to your taste, I don't know why you consider it awful, but I love the game, and have put countless hours into it over the years.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert Spendle's Avatar

I'm surprised Cool Spot hasn't made the top 100. Maybe I'm biased?

Thread Information