Quantcast

Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Sega-16's Top 100 Mega Drive/Genesis games (please read post #5 before posting)

Sports Talker

I'm basing my choices on how much I've played the games and how much I'm still playing them. A game that I loved as a 10 year old that I'm still playing at the age of 39 is going to go very high up the list while newer discoveries and games that I've outgrown are going to be lower.

1) Ghostbusters
    2) Virtua Racing
    3) European Club Soccer
    4) The Revenge of Shinobi
    5) Shadow Dancer
    6) Kid Chameleon
    7) Flicky
    8) Bubsy
    9) Sonic 3
    10) Rambo 3
    11) Desert Strike
    12) Madden 92
    13) Aladdin
    14) Eliminate Down
    15) Granada
    16) Jungle Strike
    17) Sonic the Hedgehog
    18) Streets of Rage 2
    19) Golden Axe 2
    20) Sonic 2
    Last edited by English Invader; 01-06-2021 at 09:21 AM.

^Flicky is a better bird game than Alien Soldier, huh? J/k, I won't argue about game quality here.
    New user who wants access to the forum? PM Melf!

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert Spendle's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by English Invader View Post
    I'm basing my choices on how much I've played the games and how much I'm still playing them. A game that I loved as a 10 year old that I'm still playing at the age of 39 is going to go very high up the list while newer discoveries and games that I've outgrown are going to be lower.

1) Ghostbusters
    2) Virtua Racing
    3) European Club Soccer
    4) The Revenge of Shinobi
    5) Shadow Dancer
    6) Kid Chameleon
    7) Flicky
    8) Bubsy
    9) Sonic 3
    10) Sonic and Knuckles
    11) Desert Strike
    12) Madden 92
    13) Aladdin
    14) Eliminate Down
    15) Granada
    16) Jungle Strike
    17) Sonic the Hedgehog
    18) Streets of Rage 2
    19) Golden Axe 2
    20) Sonic 2
    I'm glad you provided your justification as that's pretty much how I've felt when looking at everyone's lists and wondering what mine would look like. I imagine my top 20 would contain a number of games that would raise a few eyebrows but that's because a lot of my opinions have been played through the optics of a child unaware of better ports, arcade versions or better games within the same genre. These games still rate highly with me 25+ years later even if I'm now aware of the alternatives.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    I admit my list was tough to put together, but I think it's primarily because I'm not a big shooter fan, and that knocks out a lot in a genre that the Genesis does very, very well.
    I'm glad there's another member out there who's not a big shooter fan. I've stayed quiet on that so far but consider this me officially out the closet.

Master of Shinobi

bird game is suddenly my new favorite game genre. What are others on the system? That Sylvester and Tweety one, others?
    Lists of MD games: officially licensed (~925) @ cart sizes @ Top 5 @ Top 250 @ Sonic hacks @ best title screens @ Arcade ports (150) @ best European games

Road Rasher

9) Sonic 3
    10) Sonic and Knuckles
    You list Sonic 3 and S&K as two separate entries.
    While it isnít clear cut whether it is more sensible to think of these carts as two separate or one combined game, the lists are only comparable and I can only calculate the overall results if we all consistently follow the same approach on this issue.
    In post #5 I stated that for the purpose of this poll Sonic 3 & Knuckles counts as one game (cf. the segment under the caption "Rules").
    Therefore please change your list accordingly if you want it included for the calculation of the Top 100.

Sports Talker

Quote Originally Posted by Seingalt View Post
    You list Sonic 3 and S&K as two separate entries.
    While it isnít clear cut whether it is more sensible to think of these carts as two separate or one combined game, the lists are only comparable and I can only calculate the overall results if we all consistently follow the same approach on this issue.
    In post #5 I stated that for the purpose of this poll Sonic 3 & Knuckles counts as one game (cf. the segment under the caption "Rules").
    Therefore please change your list accordingly if you want it included for the calculation of the Top 100.
    I've dropped Sonic and Knuckles for Rambo 3.

Master of Shinobi

I've dropped Sonic and Knuckles for Rambo 3.
    Mods!
    Lists of MD games: officially licensed (~925) @ cart sizes @ Top 5 @ Top 250 @ Sonic hacks @ best title screens @ Arcade ports (150) @ best European games

1. Sonic 3 & Knuckles
    2. Soleil (Crusader of Centy)
    3. Sonic the Hedgehog 2
    4. Golden Axe
    5. Wonder Boy in Monster World
    6. Streets of Rage 2
    7. The Revenge of Shinobi
    8. Gunstar Heroes
    9. Disney's Aladdin
    10. Thunder Force IV
    11. Phantasy Star IV: End of the Millennium
    12. Rock N' Roll Racing
    13. The Story of Thor (Beyond Oasis)
    14. Toy Story
    15. Shinobi III: Return of the Ninja Master
    16. Red Zone
    17. Jungle Strike
    18. Taz-Mania
    19. QuackShot Staring Donald Duck
    20. Road Rash 2

This got hard towards the bottom. The games at the top are up there with my all time favourites and they are also games I do (or would), go back to. The ones towards the bottom I played a lot more back when they were newer but they haven't aged as well. I still consider them top picks for the system though. A good example is Red Zone which was absolutely amazing at the time but anyone could be forgiven for thinking a clunky mess these days. This is also true of Road Rash 2 because most games in the racing genre really benefited when they got a third dimension. Some games that didn't make the cut-off were Global Gladiators, Jurassic Park, Shadow Dancer, Streets of Rage, The Lion King and... Bubsy.

1) Sonic 2
    2) SoR 2
    3) Sonic 1
    4) Micro Machines 96
    5) Jurassic Park
    6) PGA Tour Golf 3
    7) NHL 96
    8) Cool Spot
    9) Toy Story
    10) Skitchin'
    11) Tiny Toon Adventures: Buster's Hidden Treasure
    12) Mega Bomberman
    13) Cannon Fodder
    14) Ecco the Dolphin
    15) Greendog
    16) Streets of Rage
    17) Desert Strike
    18) Brian Lara 96
    19) Aladdin
    20) Golden Axe 2
    Last edited by Spendle; 01-10-2021 at 03:55 PM.

Sports Talker

Quote Originally Posted by Gryson View Post
    About choosing Sonic 1/2/3:

That's always an issue on lists like these. They're all great games, but part of what factors into my list is the uniqueness of each game relative to the others on the list. I chose Sonic 1 because I think it captures the idea of "Sonic" in the most straightforward, pleasurable terms, even though it is less refined. I would place the other two games slightly below 20, along with PSIV.
    Sonic is a difficult one to get right. The first Sonic is always going to be special to me because it's the first MD game I played but while I still like to do the odd run-through, it's not a game that has any challenge for me anymore so it went lower down the list for that reason. Sonic 2 made number 20 because I couldn't ignore how big the game was when it was released but I don't find it as relaxing to play these days as the original Sonic. Sonic 3 went higher on the list because I didn't have it back in the day and I still haven't beaten it so it still has a bit more intrigue for me than the other two. Sonic and Knuckles is a similar deal but it had to go to meet Seingalt's rule about not voting for both games.

Master of Shinobi

Sonic 1 should almost be considered as two different games: there's GHZ and there's the rest of the levels, which take a huge hit in almost all fronts as the development time was way shorter, The Geek Critique nailed it in this video (watch the other classic Sonic videos, they're great too)

Hero of Algol

Quote Originally Posted by chilled View Post
    The Geek Critique nailed it in this video
    Awfully superficial and biased review.

Quote Originally Posted by chilled View Post
    Sonic 1 should almost be considered as two different games: there's GHZ and there's the rest of the levels, which take a huge hit in almost all fronts as the development time was way shorter, The Geek Critique nailed it in this video (watch the other classic Sonic videos, they're great too)
    Thanks for posting and I tend to agree with the sentiment of the video. You can see how they've used the experience from the first game to influence and improve Sonic 2 - level design is more solid and consistent throughout and there's a good amount of variation with enemies. I always disliked Marble Zone for the reasons highlighted in that video.

It's not to say the first sonic is bad, far from it - it's what made me fall in love with the mega drive, but Sonic 2 takes it to a different level. I've never felt the same with Sonic 3 which always felt like it was trying too hard with the long levels and different shields.

Quote Originally Posted by Barone View Post
    Awfully superficial and biased review.
    And this is the beauty of gaming, differing opinions!

Road Rasher

I just edited post #3 and #4; trying to get a grip on the presentation of the final results (I hope the screen shots in post #3 show up properly).

What do you think so far?
    Any additional suggestions?

Not yet sure how to go about the Top 10.
    Is anyone interested in writing an ultra-short mini-review/appreciation for a Top 10 entry of their choice?

Hero of Algol

Quote Originally Posted by Seingalt View Post
    Is anyone interested in writing an ultra-short mini-review/appreciation for a Top 10 entry of their choice?
    Suggestion: you could ask the person who ranked each game higher in their list to provide that.

I volunteer to fill in for any game if there are orphan.

I also suggest you to provide the range of number of words we are expected to use.

Thread Information