Quantcast

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sega Mega CD 1 Repairs in the UK

Death Adder's minion

Tell me about it, shocking!! Thank F he didn't try recapping the Main board LOL. Well after repairing this, I can safely say I can repair any Sega CD 1!! The amount of damage to the main board from Acid damage! there was even 2 Capacitors that just fell off the Board! Worse Main board i've had to repair! Got to test out the new Ultrasonic cleaner :-) Had to drill a few through Hole connections then feed some fine Wire through and solder both ends then apply some UV activated Green Mask, much prefer doing this than running Wires all over Boards! Was so happy when the Red LED finally fired up and the Boot Logo appeared :-)

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert Kamon's Avatar

As someone who had his first ever soldering job recapping a mega cd board (I know I'm crazy, trial by fire) those images hurt me. How is it that bad????

Death Adder's minion

Quote Originally Posted by segagamer View Post
    My NTSC USA model 1 Sega CD that I purchased brand new in the early 90's has recently started to act up, with the disc tray ejecting perfect condition game discs at least 50% of the time. Is this problem due to the drive belt needing replacement and how difficult is it for the average person to perform the repair? Thanks
    Here is a Guide or your Model https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRWOHhbtS2A

PAL Machine is so much easier, don't even have to remove the Tray and just need to eject it and slip the Belt on with Tweezers! :-)

Death Adder's minion

Quote Originally Posted by Kamon View Post
    As someone who had his first ever soldering job recapping a mega cd board (I know I'm crazy, trial by fire) those images hurt me. How is it that bad????
    Bet your work didn't look like the 2 Machines above!

Here is how I like to re-Cap the Boards

Raging in the Streets xelement5x's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bbz149 View Post
    Bet your work didn't look like the 2 Machines above!

Here is how I like to re-Cap the Boards

Looks nice, are those tantalum caps? I've debated recapping mine but I'm just lazy and it's still been working fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by StarMist View Post
    A spine card is the hymen of a new game assuring its first owner that he is truly her one and only, and of a used game assuring its new owner that whilst she has been played with in the past that play has never been too careless or thorough.

Death Adder's minion

Quote Originally Posted by xelement5x View Post
    Looks nice, are those tantalum caps? I've debated recapping mine but I'm just lazy and it's still been working fine.
    Indeed they are! don't be lazy! I promise you the old Caps will leak and f@ck your board!! I've repaired craploads of them now!

I recently finished a recap on a Turbo Express and used tants based on input from a friend.
    That was a bit of a pain, but you're right I should address some of my extra hardware in general.

Any chance you'd be willing to share the part numbers of the tantalum caps you used? The most frustrating part for me is digging through digikey or mouser to find caps with the correct size/ratings/etc that I need.
    A spine card is the hymen of a new game assuring its first owner that he is truly her one and only, and of a used game assuring its new owner that whilst she has been played with in the past that play has never been too careless or thorough.

Death Adder's minion

I recently finished a recap on a Turbo Express and used tants based on input from a friend.
    That was a bit of a pain, but you're right I should address some of my extra hardware in general.

Any chance you'd be willing to share the part numbers of the tantalum caps you used? The most frustrating part for me is digging through digikey or mouser to find caps with the correct size/ratings/etc that I need.
    Hi m8, I use Kemet Type B, T491B106K016AS. Sending you a PM as I need a few I can get in the US and might be able to help each other out!

Never buy these from China! Fake crap that are 4.7uf and not 10uf!!
    Last edited by bbz149; 03-13-2021 at 09:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bbz149 View Post
    Hi m8, I use Kemet Type B, T491B106K016AS. Sending you a PM as I need a few I can get in the US and might be able to help each other out!

Never buy these from China! Fake crap that are 4.7uf and not 10uf!!
    Thanks for the info! Checked out Digikey a bit for them an responded to your PM

Death Adder's minion

WOW! look at the state of this for repair Stuck on Boot screen which I managed to fix due to a cracked solder joint on one of the RAM Chips. Looks like this took a knock at some point as one of the CD Mounts was broken and part of a Ferrite Coil on the PSU Board broke off! Also had to replace the Laser as it was borked!!

Cleaned up nice though!

Now off to do my first Turbo Express repair

Take your time on the TE, the pads can lift pretty easily on them from what I've heard. I re-capped mine recently and it took longer to get the old caps off and everything cleaned than putting the new ones on. Also be careful when cutting that insulating goo off the upper left of the board so that you don't hit the inductor underneath.

Death Adder's minion

Take your time on the TE, the pads can lift pretty easily on them from what I've heard. I re-capped mine recently and it took longer to get the old caps off and everything cleaned than putting the new ones on. Also be careful when cutting that insulating goo off the upper left of the board so that you don't hit the inductor underneath.
    Cheers ill keep that in mind once I get round to re-cap Not sure to install the same SMD's or replace them with either non leak ones, haven't got the Capacitors yet and don't really want to 10 0r 20 of each just to re-cap one machine, or just get a cap kit

Let me know if you still need the Caps for the MCD as they should be here soon hopefully lol

Death Adder's minion

Today I thought I'd give my much loved CDX some well deserved TLC I much preferer the CDX to our slower Multi Mega we have in Europe!

Only one Problem, My Jap Sonic that came today won't Play I already have an original PAL and a copy of the US version but not the point lol

So pulled the ROM

And installed a Region free Bios It's actually got all Region Bios files on the Chip so you can use a switchless mod to change the Region Boot screen, but I'm only interested in US NTSC!!

While it was open I also replaced the save Game Battery

Love it, so nice and the Japanese version of Sonic CD is the best

Multi Mega isn't slower if you get the Japanese version or had the Pal Multi Mega doubled switched, which is what I did to mine

Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

Outrunner

Quote Originally Posted by Team Andromeda View Post
    Love it, so nice and the Japanese version of Sonic CD is the best

Multi Mega isn't slower if you get the Japanese version or had the Pal Multi Mega doubled switched, which is what I did to mine

Who did that for you? Corey Haim? Debbie Harry?

Thread Information