Quantcast

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sega Mega CD 1 Repairs in the UK

Death Adder's minion

Default Sega Mega CD 1 Repairs in the UK

Been repairing quiet a few of these lately! really enjoy servicing and bringing these back to life and replacing those terrible Capacitors in the process!. Had to invest in a nice Microscope to repair those corroded tracks! forgot to photo the Ring Light which is a must with these Microscopes!! now working on a bigger Desk

Weller WR2 De-solder Station makes easy work in replacing Bios ROMS.

Built a nice test Loom makes testing a lot easier!

What usually causes the disc tray to continuously open/close? Is it the gear?

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert majinga's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bbz149 View Post
    Built a nice test Loom makes testing a lot easier!

This is interesting. Where this tool came from?

Death Adder's minion

EU Model or Jap? If EU, could be the Belt not pulling the Draw in correctly, Also I have had one that were damaged in the post where Laser Tray pivets at the rear there are 2 Plastic mounts, sometime they can break and the Draw will not go fully in. I glued it back in place and melted a Pin through the middle of the Plastic and bent both ends to strengthen it. Worse case could also be the Swtich on the CD board not making contact when closed

Death Adder's minion

Quote Originally Posted by majinga View Post
    This is interesting. Where this tool came from?
    I made it The case on the Left is an old Game Cart, removed internals and bought a Megadrive Cart Socket from China, there are 4 Pins too many, so removed 2 and inserted and hot Glued some Plastic in so acts as a guide. The other end has another Cart I disconnected everyting in then cut the traces and soldered all 60 pins on each side The Cable was 1m of 30 core I cut into 2 x 50cm. I still need to add a Power LED at some point!

Nice setup!

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert majinga's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bbz149 View Post
    I made it The case on the Left is an old Game Cart, removed internals and bought a Megadrive Cart Socket from China, there are 4 Pins too many, so removed 2 and inserted and hot Glued some Plastic in so acts as a guide. The other end has another Cart I disconnected everyting in then cut the traces and soldered all 60 pins on each side The Cable was 1m of 30 core I cut into 2 x 50cm. I still need to add a Power LED at some point!
    Good job. Maybe I can built something like that too.

Raging in the Streets xelement5x's Avatar

That extension is a great thing to have. When I was repairing these I debated building something similar but normally just wound up using a little rig I made to float the genesis above the model 1 so I could test stuff easier.
    Quote Originally Posted by StarMist View Post
    A spine card is the hymen of a new game assuring its first owner that he is truly her one and only, and of a used game assuring its new owner that whilst she has been played with in the past that play has never been too careless or thorough.

Death Adder's minion

Yeah it's a must have thing to have if you are repairing these! Takes a little while to build but 100% worth the time building one!!

I just installed a Power LED, disconnected this too many times not checking the Megadrive was off

Outrunner

Ah man, thatís some pro kit you have! Would you consider selling your services? My Mk I could certainly use a recap and battery replacement.

Death Adder's minion

Quote Originally Posted by crazyteknohed View Post
    Ah man, thatís some pro kit you have! Would you consider selling your services? My Mk I could certainly use a recap and battery replacement.
    Thanks Yes I do these every week for Customers but I am in the UK. I can be reached at: Retrorepair@gizmosltd.co.uk

Death Adder's minion

Some People should never pick up a soldering Iron let alone try to use one! FFS!!

Death Adder's minion

Another CD in today, somebody had a go at changing the Fuse!! LMFAO, when you think you have seen it all!!!

Wildside Expert

My NTSC USA model 1 Sega CD that I purchased brand new in the early 90's has recently started to act up, with the disc tray ejecting perfect condition game discs at least 50% of the time. Is this problem due to the drive belt needing replacement and how difficult is it for the average person to perform the repair? Thanks

Master of Shinobi

Those pictures! WTF? A one armed man with Parkinson's could solder better than that.

Thread Information