Quantcast

Thread: Sonic 1 Beta Found & Released

Stuck in the Past Shining Hero The Jackal's Avatar

Default Sonic 1 Beta Found & Released

Not a hoax, this is the real deal:

DRX (Hidden Palace) just released this holy grail - the fabled and long-lost Sonic 1 Beta!

Taken from the video description of the game:

"Dreams come true. Presenting, a prototype of Sonic the Hedgehog for the Sega Mega Drive / Sega Genesis. This prototype has it all. Pink flowers in Green Hill Zone, RING, "the ball", UFOs in Marble, Sparkling Zone, Clock Work Zone, unused badniks, the works. This release wouldn't have been possible without Buckaroo, who was kind enough to allow us to show off the prototype for nothing. This was our goal here at Hidden Palace for many years, and we couldn't think of a better send off before the new year!"

Full credit to DRX and Hidden Palace for this beta release. More here (including download): https://hiddenpalace.org/News/Dreams...D%29_Prototype

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingSports Talker

It's amazing that these prototypes keep continuing to show up and this one was really sought after. It makes you think what will be found in the future.

I'm still hoping that the 'Adventures Of Indiana Jones 'rom will be put out there at some point but t seems the current owner of it doesn't want to let it go.

Hero of Algol

It was nice to see the acid trip ideas which were still there.

Based on this and some protos footage recently revealed, I think the Japanese team really wanted the UFOs in Marble Zone. First they were red then changed to a less prominent palette but ultimately got axed.

A brief rundown:
    Green Hill Zone
    - I'd like to see a community hack that would re-implement the wrecking ball but with better physics and some actual use in the first zone. It's also present in the second zone as an obstacle to a straight continuous run, which makes a bit more sense.
    I also would like to see the doubled spikes around the springs at the bottom of the zone, difficulty was clearly toned down prior to the release. The sidewall spikes are a bit bizarre but I'd like to see all that weirdness.

Marble Zone
    - Bring back the menacing red UFOs! lol
    They need some movement though, IDK maybe just some very few frames to simulate that they're going back and forth could be fun.
    Oh, and the pressure buttons were clearly just a band-aid to tone down the difficulty. I like the physics-based approach we had here, it just needs some fine tuning.
    The longer layouts with side crushers would be a welcome challenge after 30 years, IDK for a release though. The whole thing didn't seem to be very welcoming to the kids.
    Pink flowers looked way better; the enemies looked a bit more weird with that palette but I also prefer them that way. You can see the details easily.

Sparkling Zone
    - Cope! Lmao. Bring back the nonsense and depression. But we need a better refined version of the background art. It's both too flat and too intrusive into the foreground as it is here.
    Final version background art was much better but didn't really fit the theme either, now we know why.
    Pink robots, pls.

Labyrinth Zone
    - The statue which spits fire had a horn, now that made a lot more sense in terms of Japanese culture. Bring those demons back.
    The background is obviously unfinished but the idea of having the above-the-water portion of it resembling a cave with a few daylight spots could have been nice.

Starlight Zone
    - Background is basically the same crap we got in the lower part of it. That's really some fugly, uninspired and flat crappy buildings that needed some revamping prior to the release. IDK how people let that one fly.

Clock Work Zone
    - The original name probably made more sense, especially considering the circle objects we already see here.

Other than that, it's good that they got rid of the 50-ring 1up bs but the winning pose should have been preserved. It's goofy but funny at the same time.
    And a hack should bring back all the axed weirdos that had been designed as enemies.
    Splats is especially interesting as a random annoyance since its movement seems to be a bit chaotic to confuse the player.
    Last edited by Barone; 01-01-2021 at 12:49 PM.

There is a reason it is a prototype, the final game is just so much more polished but this is fascinating to see what they were thinking, I hate the Saturn's floating in Marble zone, so distracting and some of the physics are off and cause sonic to stop momentum, I like the end stage celeb animation of sonic.

Great stuff. But just goes to show how much time they put into making the original game that much better. The level design and momentum is a bit crazy in the prototype. Like the background of Spring Yard Zone in this one.
    Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    The Sega Saturn was God's gift to humanity. This is inarguable fact!

Feedback Thread: http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...ack&highlight=

Wildside Expert

Sonic 1 proto magazine images float in our minds a long time ago. Seeing it running on our consoles is pretty surreal. I felt very happy when I read about this incredible finding, but I think it would be much more praised had it been discovered 10 or 15 years ago. It seems there is much less interest in it now, maybe because a lot of scans and good video footages from Sonic 1 protos surfaced recently. But what intrigues me is to see many veterans in the Sonic scene just giving a thumbs up, or a "nice finding"... Well, maybe I didn't grow up and am living a kid's dream.

I'm a big Trespasser fan, a game for which several old builds have been uncovered over time. Builds of which we also only had magazine images and some videos. So I totally get that seeing this Sonic build run feels surreal for all Sonic fans Very happy for all the Sonic fans that this has been uncovered/released! I've already tried it and will be sure to try and play through it (if possible) soon.
    Edit: typos.
    Last edited by GelmiR; 01-03-2021 at 03:44 AM.

Video Game Modder Outrunner segasonicfan's Avatar

This was a really wonderful find and a great one to watch. It definitely is a holy grail in the prototype community.

The footage really goes to show that it's that last 10-20% of complete insane perfectionism that makes a classic work of gaming.

80% and this game was good enough to sell plenty. but the last 20% of nonstop polish is the reason why we're still talking about it 30 years later. Kudos to Yuji and gang for birthing an icon by hitting the ground running full speed. Gotta juice. <3
    My Website:
    SEGASONICFAN DESIGNS

Sorry, I don't respond to PM's for repair advice. Please consider posting on the forums - your question might be somebody else's answer!
    I offer free repair advice through public forums as a service to the community and as a repository of information.
    If you cannot post here, I recommend these places that don't have posting restrictions:
    https://nfggames.com/forum2/index.php
    https://www.smspower.org/forums/
    https://www.obscuregamers.com/forums/

It is actually not that far from this " beta remake" from 2013.

Thread Information