Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Winner Is You 2021 Edition

Default A Winner Is You 2021 Edition

A new year, a new thread. Let's go!

Currently Reviewing: Galaxy Force (SMS)
    Coming Up:TF3 Side by Side
    Done:

Ico (2001)

Great. I got Panzer Dragoon Saga vibes throughout what with the gothic architecture and everyone chasing after Yorda.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingOutrunner

^ I think I got somewhere around half way through that game but have never finished it. I remember liking the atmosphere, but I didn't really enjoy playing it too much. I feel like I should play through the whole thing because I liked Shadow of the Colossus so much.

1. Lord of the Rings: War in the North - Xbox 360

I have found that Snowblind made a lot of games that could have been good but don't get certain things right, which is what is holding them all back. The weird part is they'll fix certain aspects from their previous games in later games but then do things wrong that they did right before. I keep playing the games though. This one has a bug that you think would get fixed before it got released - I was playing this co-op at first, but every time we saved, it would only save the progress of one of the characters (each character used their own profile on the HD). I read about a work-around that someone found that made the saving process about 20 times longer, but it didn't work for us (maybe we mixed up a couple of the 40 steps - not sure). I probably would have finished this game in 2019 when I started it if not for these issues. Another weird thing about this game is that it clearly meant to be a multiplayer game but has much better gameplay as a single player game.

Silent Hill 2 (2001)

Now I get it, after so many years of people telling me. After playing through and thoroughly liking 1 and 3, 2 was a shock in how different it was, but the core principles were the same. 1 was more of a descent into a nightmare or partially conscious state à la Jacob's Ladder, while 2 was a physical exploration of personal demons. Fascinating. A very high class of interactive media. I got the "Leave" ending.

If anyone has seen the '70s Soviet film Solaris, Silent Hill 2 borrows quite heavily from it and the original book.

I wonder what 4 is like...

Quote Originally Posted by BubsyFan1 View Post
    ^ I think I got somewhere around half way through that game but have never finished it. I remember liking the atmosphere, but I didn't really enjoy playing it too much. I feel like I should play through the whole thing because I liked Shadow of the Colossus so much.
    I want to try Shadow of the Colossus soon. Ico was great, but it really is a thinking game. You can't power through it, you have to take a break and sleep on the puzzles before the answer forms in your head. At least that was my experience. That's my favorite type of game to be honest.

Shadow of the Colossus is similar in some respects. Especially in regards to ways some of the colossi act and/or what they can represent as well as the ways events unfold. Powering through Ico may have hindered my experience with it. I was taking part in an event my friends and I called The Quest, which was where we all made lists of games we thought people should play. Not necessarily good games or our favorite games but games we thought people should play for reasons we would talk about after the game was completed by a person. There was a deadline, and we tried to complete as many games as we could before then. I tried to power through Ico near the end. I wasn't feeling it and haven't returned to it since.

The Future is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingESWAT Veteran Leynos's Avatar

Final Fantasy VII "Remake" eh

Look when they stick to just the PS1 stuff recreated in modern visuals the game is great. Everything else is Nomura stink. The Kingdom Hearts final boss. The overuse of Septh making him a chump. The shitty side quests just used for padding. The areas in the day have textures that never load so they have a nice N64 or maybe PS2 quality to them. AKA bad. The game goes from being gorgeous to hideous. OST is wonderfully redone. Barret is just so badly voiced. Aerith and Tifa are perfect. Barret aside they nailed the cast in general. There is one cool new boss. It's a mixed bag. Nomura only knows how to fuck up a good thing. God I wish he would leave SE. The only RPG series they make in house still as great as ever is without him. Dragon Quest. Otherwise outside studios with SE as publisher are making better FF successors than they are. Dragon Quest aside. Octopath is the best RPG with a SE label on the box they have produced in years. Let those guys make a FF game.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

[PSN] Segata-S //[Switch] FC-SW 3892 5228 2895 //[XBL]Dogi99

The Gaming Gangsta Master of Shinobi profholt82's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blades View Post
    Silent Hill 2 (2001)

Now I get it, after so many years of people telling me. After playing through and thoroughly liking 1 and 3, 2 was a shock in how different it was, but the core principles were the same. 1 was more of a descent into a nightmare or partially conscious state à la Jacob's Ladder, while 2 was a physical exploration of personal demons. Fascinating. A very high class of interactive media. I got the "Leave" ending.

If anyone has seen the '70s Soviet film Solaris, Silent Hill 2 borrows quite heavily from it and the original book.

I wonder what 4 is like...

I want to try Shadow of the Colossus soon. Ico was great, but it really is a thinking game. You can't power through it, you have to take a break and sleep on the puzzles before the answer forms in your head. At least that was my experience. That's my favorite type of game to be honest.
    Blades, you can have my copy of Shadow of the Colossus for free if you want it. It's a greatest hits, but it's CIB and in great condition. I'll send it to you if you're in the US. If you're in a different country, we might have to work something out though, not sure how international shipping works right now with all the rona crap. Shoot me a PM if you're interested.

That’s super nice. PM sent.

I have a condition. You must consider signing up for Secret Santa 2021 so we can show you the same generosity.

Yakuza: Like a Dragon (2020)

Ichi is great, and the game is a great balance of skill, thoughtful story, and surprise. Nagoshi never disappoints.

This coincides with news of Nagoshi retiring as CCO of Sega. 2012-2020 were some of the best Yakuza games.

Sonic The Hedgehog (Genesis)

I hadn't played this one in nearly a decade, but nothing has changed; I still adore this game. I love nearly everything about it, even the Marble and Labyrinth zones, but especially the soundtrack—truly one of the best of all time. The quality of the game is remarkably consistent throughout and it's hard for me to find any real faults with it. I mean, I can identify some parts of the game that are not as strong as others, but glaring flaws… I don't detect any. (5/5)

Sonic The Hedgehog 2 (Genesis)

For me, a game of two distinct halves. The first four zones of the game are outstanding. The second half of the game struggles to achieve mediocrity. It's really tough to rate this one because, for me, the first half of the game is probably Sonic at his best; the second half is probably Sonic at his worst. (4/5)

Sonic 3&Knuckles

I posted some specific thoughts on the game in another thread, so I'll keep these comments brief and just say S3&K is an amazing game. (5/5)

It was great to revisit these 3(4) games with a more critical eye (and ear) than I've approached them with in the past. I gained a much deeper appreciation for them while simultaneously developing a more reasoned and balanced perspective on their strengths and weaknesses.

The Future is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingESWAT Veteran Leynos's Avatar

Persona 5 Strikers. It's basically a streamlined Persona 5 as an ARPG. Great game. Persona has yet to have a bad game in the series.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

[PSN] Segata-S //[Switch] FC-SW 3892 5228 2895 //[XBL]Dogi99

Quote Originally Posted by Blades View Post
    That’s super nice. PM sent.

I have a condition. You must consider signing up for Secret Santa 2021 so we can show you the same generosity.
    Good lookin' out! Were you able to persuade him?

In the last couple of months, I was notified that I was potentially exposed to COVID on three separate occasions, so I've spent more time playing games than I normally would.

2. Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor - Xbox 360

This game could have been really cool, but it ended up being pretty average because I felt like I was doing the same things over and over again. There were multiple occasions where it did something cool, but it never took anything to the next level. Also, these original stories set the the LotR universe kind of just feel like non-original stories.

3. Puggsy - Genesis

This game was actually pretty enjoyable. The physics of the game were a bit too touchy in my opinion and can lead to some frustration, but I do really like the idea and felt like it was well done (especially for the time).

4. My Boyfriend - DS

I went into this game hoping there would be at least one redeeming factor.

5. Bubsy: The Woolies Strike Back [Purrfect Edition] - PS4

This game seemed to be much shorter and easier than other Bubsy games I've played, but I have not yet 100%ed it, so I can easily spend some more time with it to do so. I prefer the original 16-bit side scrolling as opposed to this Sonic Colors-esque feel, but the music here was actually much better than the music in previous games (a plus since my game came with the soundtrack!).

6. Ecco the Dolphin - Genesis

My fiance wanted me to play this, but I wasn't sure about it because I remember it being extremely hard the last time I played it (which was quite some time ago). She said if I could beat Fatal Labyrinth that I could beat anything. Well, so far, I guess she's not wrong. This game is weird in that it has a steep learning curve at the beginning, gets easier, then builds up the difficulty again. I actually like a lot of the level design. There is some trial and error, but it works well after you figure it out. Gets pretty brutal at the end though.

7. Shaq-Fu - Genesis

I used to defend this game a bit. I never though it was as bad as people always said it was but didn't think it was good either. I just thought it was average. After revisiting it (I had never beaten it before), I think it's bad. Not worst game ever bad but bad nonetheless. I thought this was going to be the least satisfying beaten game ever, but the final fight was actually the most satisfying one. Because of the way his attacks are and the way he moves around, I feel like I had to fight more skillfully (I felt like I was punished for trying to fight skillfully against everyone else).

8. Heavenly Sword - PS3

I remember thinking The Last of Us was more of a movie than a game, but Heavenly Sword is definitely more movie than The Last of Us. It was short, but I also didn't feel like it needed to be longer. The story takes place over a very short period of time, and that fits well with the length of the game. The plot and characters didn't really do anything new or exciting, but everything was well done. I also thought about certain plot points and the development of the story for a while after I payed it more than I normally do after I play games.

9. Heart of Darkness - PS1

I definitely enjoyed the experience of this game, but I'm not sure how much I enjoyed playing it. A lot of it wasn't bad to play, but there were enough times where the best strategy seemed to be hanging out for a while until you kill all the enemies, which can feel like you're doing a lot of nothing (this sounds vague, but I don't want to give away too much; also, maybe I just didn't figure out the best way to play/the way it was intended to play). I was kind of surprised by how morbid this game can get. I got my neck snapped like 20 times in the course of about two minutes before I figured out the way you are supposed to get passed a certain area. I also got some Little Nemo vibes from this game, which I enjoyed. I put that second sentence in the spoiler because it can give away something about the game if one is familiar with the reference.

I've been on an arcade racing kick recently. I moved into a new place so I don't have access to original hardware for now, so I've been using emulators on my (work) gaming PC.

Ridge Racer (1995)

The original RR for PSX (running on mednafen). Still a lot of fun, and the precise controls make sliding around corners a great challenge.

Virtua Racing Deluxe (1994)

Great game. I've had it for years but never actually finished it before now. I used the stock (slowest) car on normal difficulty. Apparently the US version isn't programmed to trigger the ending credits in any case, so I'll settle for having a trophy icon on every track as proof that I'm a winner (at VR with the slowest car on normal difficulty). Played on KEGA Fusion.

Silent Hill 2: Born from a Wish (2018 PC Enhanced Edition)

When I played Silent Hill 2 earlier this year, I played the original release for PS2 which was missing the supplemental episode Born from a Wish about Maria. This was a good opportunity to try out the fan-made "fixed" PC port of Silent Hill 2, Silent Hill 2 Enhanced Edition. It's very good, though I only played this bonus episode, not the main game.

This short episode is an interesting look into Maria's origin. Since Maria was essentially willed into existence Solaris-style, her "backstory" is fittingly short and has a certain amount of mystery about what exactly is Silent Hill, and what is real and delusion. I liked it.

Good lookin' out! Were you able to persuade him?
    TBD on the Professor's involvement with the Claus...
    Last edited by Blades; 03-31-2021 at 02:42 AM.

DEFCON 5 (1996)

I really like this game, so after beating it on PlayStation I wanted to also beat it on Saturn and 3DO (of all platforms) to see what the differences were.

The PlayStation version runs the best by far, which makes sense since PlayStation was the lead platform. The FMV quality on Saturn is atrocious and the worst of all three. The 3D engine runs about the same on Saturn and 3DO, a little slower on 3DO. The Saturn/3DO versions were done a little later and have a few small changes like sound effects and some music tracks are different. Also, on 3DO a special text window pops up when you are almost at the true ending. I've never gotten that screen in the other ports. The PlayStation version has a hidden mini-game if you press triangle while trying to establish local communications that's not in any of the other ports.

Overall a very impressive title for 3DO in my opinion. Full 3D with a complex artificial intelligence attacking the station. The entire PlayStation game survives the port almost unscathed.

The 3DO version seems to have a game-breaking bug, but I don't know if it's an emulation issue or the original code. The game doesn't run correctly at all on Phoenix, but it does run well on 4DO. However, reading the archive text in VOS on both emulators always results in a crash. Since it happens on two independent emulators, I have reason to believe it's a bug in the original game, but I have no way of checking since my 3DO and original copy of Defcon 5 are long gone. It happens with both the European and Japanese release. If it is a real bug that's a shame because the game can't be completed without reading that text somewhere.

I actually first played this game on 3DO so it was neat to finish it on the original platform after all these years. Still have to play it on DOS...

Oh, and the credits are orange instead of red on 3DO for some reason.

Played on 4DO and mednafen.

Thread Information