Quantcast

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Playing RPGs

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NeoVamp View Post
    They are fun yeah, I love the exploration aspect. but its a shame that they've been turning more and more simple with each new game.
    At the rate they're going the next Fallout is going to be a full on corridor/room FPS shooter.

No, they just turned them into online cash cows with Elder scrolls online and Fallout 76. We probably won't see a legit single player game in those franchises anytime soon, unless Microsoft pushes for it.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher

Quote Originally Posted by cowboyscowboys View Post
    There is as much gameplay in a Sega CD FMV games as their are in JRPG's. How JRPG's have any following is beyond my mental capacity.
    Heh. Let me guess.. your top 10 Genesis games are all sports titles

Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    No, they just turned them into online cash cows with Elder scrolls online and Fallout 76. We probably won't see a legit single player game in those franchises anytime soon, unless Microsoft pushes for it.
    Well, let's see. I am actually vaguely hopeful. Microsoft also acquired Obsidian, who created Fallout: New Vegas for Bethesda (to date my favorite game in the franchise), as well as a couple of other RPGs that I really like despite a few flaws (like Pillars of Eternity or Outer Worlds - the latter in particular felt like it would've been genuinely amazing had it received a bit more gestation time). With Obsidian there was always the problem that they lacked the resources to properly flesh out and realize their ideas, while Bethesda's biggest problem is a lack of Quality Control - their releases often are quite a buggy mess at times. With the deep pockets and the structured software engineering experience of Microsoft, these flaws could actually be properly addressed.

Of course, there's also the danger that they could go the way of your typical EA release. Although Microsoft claims that they will rather exercise a more "hands-off" approach in letting their companies develop their own ideas (and they've also bungled studio acquisitions badly in the past - I'm still a bit irked we never got that 'Deadlands' video game, I'm a big fan of the tabletop RPG - and there also was the pointlessly expensive fiasco of trying to create a Halo TV series. Then again, those experiences were part of the reason why they want to go more 'hands-off' this time). Let's see how it'll turn out. I can see why many look at the recent studio acquisitions by Microsoft very sceptically, but like I said, I'm actually vaguely hopeful.
    Last edited by Phantar; 03-17-2021 at 03:14 AM.
    The funny thing about an oxymoron is, even if you remove the ox, there'll always be a moron. The Question Remains: Y?

Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    Well with Elders Online they at least have a dedicated right from the start and so they don't impact on the separate single player game which is developed by a separate team So I don't see any issues with Elders at all
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

Thread Information