Quantcast

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mega Everdrive Pro

Raging in the Streets xelement5x's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    I would really like to get my hands on some good 650MB discs that don't cost an arm and a leg. I've heard MAM-A discs are good, but man does shipping kill it. And now that I check, it looks like the website may be down?

Anyway, my PC Engine Duo is super duper finicky, to the point that even Taiyo Yudens don't work that great, yet Verbatim DataLifePlus discs work very well (although I still get problems with occasional games like Last Alert).
    Yeah, the MAM-A Silver 650MB discs are what I use. I have stock of Silver and some Gold discs I was able to get ahold of locally to avoid the shipping, and the prices were pretty reasonable as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by StarMist View Post
    A spine card is the hymen of a new game assuring its first owner that he is truly her one and only, and of a used game assuring its new owner that whilst she has been played with in the past that play has never been too careless or thorough.

Death Bringer ESWAT Veteran Black_Tiger's Avatar

This "Doom on Genesis" is more Doom on "Genesis".

Hopefully this didn't take much work to run on the Mega Everdrive Pro. I'd hate to see legit homebrew fall to the wayside while people just dump shovelware onto an FPGA.
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher

That was krikzz having fun, he doesn't do homebrew really. Most of his time is spent on the everdrives.

Master of Shinobi

so this is just being done by the Pro CPU, right? As proof of concept it's nice, but at this point were are not that far away from running Crysis as long as the PSU can provide enough wattage... surely a cart can be made with an x86 11th gen 7 watt cpu, so...
    Lists of MD games: officially licensed (~925) @ cart sizes @ Top 5 @ Top 250 @ Sonic hacks @ best title screens @ Arcade ports (150) @ best European games

Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by chilled View Post
    so this is just being done by the Pro CPU, right? As proof of concept it's nice, but at this point were are not that far away from running Crysis as long as the PSU can provide enough wattage... surely a cart can be made with an x86 11th gen 7 watt cpu, so...
    But even with an advanced CPU doesn't it still have to stay within the Mega Drive's limitations on DMA bandwidth, palettes etc? I can't tell from the video but I'd bet Doom is running in low detail mode and with fewer colors than the original.

On the other hand if anyone decided to use the 32X in these demos then the only real limit is the resolution, get RetroArch running and all of a sudden the Genesis becomes a high end emulation machine.

Quote Originally Posted by axel View Post
    But even with an advanced CPU doesn't it still have to stay within the Mega Drive's limitations on DMA bandwidth, palettes etc? I can't tell from the video but I'd bet Doom is running in low detail mode and with fewer colors than the original.

On the other hand if anyone decided to use the 32X in these demos then the only real limit is the resolution, get RetroArch running and all of a sudden the Genesis becomes a high end emulation machine.
    The NES Doom technically converts images to use an element of NES graphics but it's very much not running on NES hardware. I don't think that a still frame of it could be recreated on a real NES.
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

Hero of Algol

This is all bullshit to sell you guys yet another roided up expensive flashcart.

This is not Mega Drive's Doom, it's Mega Everdrive Pro's Doom.

I see that it's now common in retrogaming scene to use FPGA to run most of the games or increase the processing capabilities of the system by 20 to 1000 times and then proceed to disguise it as an "impressive" achievement by putting it inside a regular game plastic case.
    They use the big name that these old platforms have to promote mediocre software as "impressive" achievements and then sell you overpowered hardware that, more often than not, will be extremely underutilized up until the next "big thing" comes to sell you the same subset of actually useful functionalities once again.

I really wish all this crap to take the back seat to actual Mega Drive games and people who work hard to keep developing tools that benefit the community and a lot of actual Mega Drive developers.
    Stuff like this just use the platform's name to benefit a handful of people and steals the thunder of legit projects.

Nice experiment and all, but fuck this.
    Last edited by Barone; 01-17-2021 at 02:31 AM.

For great justice! Outrunner Tor Landeel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Barone View Post
    This is all bullshit to sell you guys yet another roided up expensive flashcart.

This is not Mega Drive's Doom, it's Mega Everdrive Pro's Doom.
    My thoughts exactly.
    ***** トル・ランディール ******
    Cadash Arcade Colors hack:
    https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3905/
    Out Run Arcade Colors hack:
    https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3940/

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingSports Talker

For those of us that own the Mega Everdrive pro it is another cool feature, no one is being fooled here.

Quote Originally Posted by Heilong79 View Post
    For those of us that own the Mega Everdrive pro it is another cool feature, no one is being fooled here.
    You'd be surprised. The classic gaming community is full of people who believe that MSU1 hacks show what SNES CD games would have been like and that the Road Blaster demo is what the SNES could have really pulled off.

I've had several people tell me that this is really Colecovision:

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher

One dev plugged a CF card to the Satellaview (at my suggestion), giving the SNES access to 128+ gb. Before you complain that CF cards were 16mb back in the day, that means you could also connect a hard drive, which were larger. SNES HD

MSU1 is "only" too fast and has no seek delays.

Master of Shinobi

this is getting ridiculous. The whole point of running real hardware gets defeated. I already felt I was cheating with my simple no frills just loads the rom and defeats region protecion flashcart, but this... why is this better than using an rpi or mini, both of which can do all this and more, with that same very low wattage consumption ?
    Lists of MD games: officially licensed (~925) @ cart sizes @ Top 5 @ Top 250 @ Sonic hacks @ best title screens @ Arcade ports (150) @ best European games

For great justice! Outrunner Tor Landeel's Avatar

Look!
    It's Doom on c64!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZzivzuDOls
    Same stuff..story repeats itself
    ***** トル・ランディール ******
    Cadash Arcade Colors hack:
    https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3905/
    Out Run Arcade Colors hack:
    https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3940/

Quote Originally Posted by roce View Post
    One dev plugged a CF card to the Satellaview (at my suggestion), giving the SNES access to 128+ gb. Before you complain that CF cards were 16mb back in the day, that means you could also connect a hard drive, which were larger. SNES HD

MSU1 is "only" too fast and has no seek delays.
    The SNES CD was going to have no more space for content than the Super CD format. None of the existing carts games getting tacked on "CD" soundtracks could run off of the SNES CD format.

Thread Information