Quantcast

Thread: R.I.P to L.A Dodgers legend and Genesis launch lineup star, Tommy Lasorda.

Default R.I.P to L.A Dodgers legend and Genesis launch lineup star, Tommy Lasorda.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/08/s...gtype=Homepage

Tommy Lasorda, the irrepressible baseball lifer who managed the Los Angeles Dodgers to four National League pennants and two World Series championships in a Hall of Fame career that spanned eight decades of bleeding Dodger blue, died on Thursday in Fullerton, Calif. He was 93 and had been the oldest living member of the Baseball Hall of Fame.

As many of you already know, Tommy Lasorda Baseball (a re-skin of Sega of Japan's Super League) was part of the Genny's U.S launch lineup, and the first of what would be several celebrity-sponsored sports games on the console. Given that the Dodgers had won the 1988 World Series around the time of the Mega Drive's launch in Japan, I figure that the signing of Tommy for the localization of Super League started that pattern of Sega endorsing recent championship/award winners in their respective sports titles.

I still think that its one of the best baseball games on the console, surprising considering how badly some of those early efforts aged (they should've buried Pat Riley's Basketball in the same landfill as E.T). Circa-2001, my next-door neighbor and I plunked hours into what was already an ancient game, after I'd found a copy for peanuts at a local game store. That copy ended up shattering into pieces later that summer, when I flung it from my second-story bedroom window in a fit of rage after the A.I cheaped me out of a game.

Thanks for the memories, Tommy.

Last edited by Aarzak; 01-08-2021 at 03:24 PM.

The Gaming Gangsta Master of Shinobi profholt82's Avatar

93, damn, that's a heck of a run. I always liked Lasorda. It seems like everyone did. The guy was already a legend when I was a kid in the 80s, and I enjoyed watching his antics when the Dodgers were on tv. He was a character. For some reason this memory stands out... back when Pope John Paul passed away, I saw an interview on ESPN or somewhere with Lasorda, and he was talking about him. "That was one tough Pope." Hahaha
    It was such a random thing, but my buddies and I would quote that line back in the day (Catholic school).

And his Genesis game was solid for an early title, and honestly holds up as one of the better baseball games on the system to this day. It's not great, but it's arcadey and fun.

I always wanted to pick up his rookie card, but never got around to it. I'll bet the prices will spike now too. Darn.

Sports Talker

It's not much of a story, but I also bought a complete copy recently in late 2019 both as a sequel of sorts to the Master System Reggie Jackson Baseball (I played it a lot as a child) and because I had an urge to try and find the Genesis launch sports lineup. Some of the best $6 I have spent to be honest, it does not disappoint. Seems like a great guy from all accounts, RIP.

Chugged an Ultra Slimfast in his honor!

One of the greatest, laughed a ton at his rants. Tommy Lasorda Baseball is a solid game too, though it's a bit outclassed by Sports Talk Baseball. And then of course the pinnacle of 2D Baseball in my opinion coming from World Baseball II and 98 on the Sega Saturn (Never liked the Genesis iterations with the lack of music and behind the catcher viewpoint)

Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    The Sega Saturn was God's gift to humanity. This is inarguable fact!

Feedback Thread: http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...ack&highlight=

Now with 33% more @$$! Master of Shinobi Assman's Avatar

I've been a lifelong Dodger fan in a family of lifelong Dodger fans, and of the strangest moments I've ever witnessed in a live baseball game was owed to good ol' Tommy, and it was one I actually had the fortune of seeing in person alongside my dad and brothers during our yearly Dodger game.

It was an exciting and frustratingly seesaw extra-inning game in LA between the Pirates and Dodgers in August of '95. The Dodgers came back from a number of deficits, something they weren't particularly well-known for at the time, and the game was tied at 10 in the bottom of the 11th. The Dodgers had managed to load the bases, so the potential winning run was only 90 feet away in Roberto Kelly. The 0-1 pitch was in the dirt and the Pirates' catcher Angelo Encarnacion quickly pulled off his mask and scrambled to block it, saving a run and the game, or so we thought. My recollection of the moment now is only of legendary manager Tommy Lasorda power-waddling his way to the home-plate umpire while angrily yelling and gesturing, as he was particularly well-known for at the time. After the smoke cleared on the confrontation, Kelly was waved to the plate and the Dodgers won. What?!

As we would only find out after the game, the catcher, after having removed his mask in haste while attempting to block the errant breaking pitch (a common practice, for the uninitiated), held onto that mask just long enough to be in position to catch the ball on a bounce with that mask. So what, you ask? As few would ever be expected to know, if a mask or cap is removed and used to catch a ball, it's a rule violation that results in 2 bases being awarded to the runners. Who the hell would even know this? Tommy. Why the hell would he even know this? It happened to his own catcher Mike Scioscia years before and the Dodgers lost because of it.

The Dodgers won 11-10 on a walk-off obscure rule violation because of Lasorda's eagle eye. I shit you not.

RIP Tommy. I'm glad he got to see one more Dodgers championship.

Road Rasher

I still remember throwing a perfect game against my best friend in TLB (around launch time). We soon moved on to Madden & NHL and left video baseball behind, but I always enjoyed Tommy Lasorda Baseball.

I do believe that Tommy Lasorda will be remembered most for Tommy Lasorda Baseball on the 16-bit Genesis system from Sega. It was truly the high point of his life, and likely the most important thing he ever did. I imagine he ranked this above any of his children. And the children likely agree. When other people ask them why they even bother to be alive, they just hold up the box to the game and say "This game has my dad on the title screen". Truly one of the greats.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Redifer View Post
    I do believe that Tommy Lasorda will be remembered most for Tommy Lasorda Baseball on the 16-bit Genesis system from Sega. It was truly the high point of his life, and likely the most important thing he ever did. I imagine he ranked this above any of his children. And the children likely agree. When other people ask them why they even bother to be alive, they just hold up the box to the game and say "This game has my dad on the title screen". Truly one of the greats.
    Hahahaha, I seldom visit this board like I used to in the 2000's, but am enjoying your work with Game Sack from afar, Joe.

Thread Information