Quantcast

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paprium

Genesis Paprium

It took the better part of an entire decade, but WaterMelon's massive brawler Paprium has finally arrived. After so long and so many promises, does it live up to the promises made? The answer is mixed, but it's definitely a game that's worth giving some playtime. Read our full review for more details.

Hero of Algol

Kinda funny that nobody has commented on this review yet.

Anyway; well-written, long, detailed and balanced review Phantar!

It's nice that you covered a lot of aspects in this review.

Thanks. It was maybe running a bit too long in my opinion,but considering how controversially this Game hast been discussed I figured I'd give it an extra thorough treatment. I'm also curious why this review hasn't really seen any comments yet considering how much discussion is still going in in the dedicated Paprium thread.

Maybe it's because I'm being too objective - These days it seems like Reviews need to be entertaining rather than informative. I guess I use too little hyperbole, too few cuss words or too little random Off-topic ramblings to fit that criteria. 😉 (Just in case it's not obvious, I am kidding... At least a little... But I'd certainly love to hear more feedback to my Reviews. Even honest criticism or outright disagreement is more rewarding than an apparent total lack of interest. 🙁 )
    The funny thing about an oxymoron is, even if you remove the ox, there'll always be a moron. The Question Remains: Y?

Wildside Expert

I donít think itís lack of interest, itís more that everything has probably been said in the two Paprium threads.

Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by Sut View Post
    I donít think itís lack of interest, itís more that everything has probably been said in the two Paprium threads.
    This.

Well I'll try to stick to comment on the review:

The review is good and it needed that much text. The are still some essential info which remains to be discovered/clarified, like exactly which parts of the game are being done by the extra cpu power, etc. There's also the somewhat general opinion that the extra chips serve mostly an anti-piracy and marketing purposes. I liked how you got into some detail concerning the hardware, etc. I'll repeat what I just said in the main thread, though, because I think it somewhat applies to your review: I don't think the game would be judged with such strict and detailed criteria had it not been subject to this calamitous PR and development process over the years. People, particularly the angry at WM people, are honestly trying to review the game based solely on the game itself, yet I think they are failing. The game is visually and aurally so spectacular it's mostly out of spec, it is really an early Neo Geo game, as promised. If gameplay is paramount, how come the 2600 and everything pre-NES is so small in comparison? Yes, that's why: graphics and music! Well, and a second action button

Anyhow, Super Thunderblade still has a perfect 10 on this site, when Paprium gets a 7 (I'd have noted it a clear 9 when compared to the other marks given to the rest of the library). I know the notation comes from very different contributors from different times, but still.
    Lists of MD games: officially licensed (~925) @ cart sizes @ Top 5 @ Top 250 @ Sonic hacks @ best title screens @ Arcade ports (150) @ best European games

The Cat in the Hat Shining Hero NeoVamp's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chilled View Post
    I'd have noted it a clear 9 when compared to the other marks given to the rest of the library
    It took Fonzie 8 years to make a brawler game, and then it turns out he forgot the gameplay.

A 7 is generous.

Master of Shinobi

well there is gameplay. Far from perfect for sure, but check out the lowest tier 300+ oficially licensed games for the system and you'll see gameplay is just awful by today standards. Start with the only other game that has an add-on chip on it Virtua Racing.

I maybe would retract back to an 8, though. I don't know
    Lists of MD games: officially licensed (~925) @ cart sizes @ Top 5 @ Top 250 @ Sonic hacks @ best title screens @ Arcade ports (150) @ best European games

Anyhow, Super Thunderblade still has a perfect 10 on this site, when Paprium gets a 7 (I'd have noted it a clear 9 when compared to the other marks given to the rest of the library). I know the notation comes from very different contributors from different times, but still.
    Funny you should mention that; it's too Bad people keep digging out the one review virtually everyone agrees is the most inaccurate in the entire Site when they disagree with some completely different game rating (If that STB review didn't exist I'm sure everyone would focus on another one). It's even funnier considering that I myself made a Double Take on Super Thunderblade that was far less generous, more akin to a 4, maybe a 5 if one considered it's Status as a launch title. So If you wanted to take the treatment of Super Thunderblade into account, I would very much prefer If you would compare this review of Paprium that I have written with the alternative view on STB written by the same author. Taken by that measure Paprium gets off quite well If you ask me.
    Last edited by Phantar; 01-18-2021 at 01:50 AM.
    The funny thing about an oxymoron is, even if you remove the ox, there'll always be a moron. The Question Remains: Y?

The Cat in the Hat Shining Hero NeoVamp's Avatar

I maybe would retract back to an 8, though. I don't know
    Lets split the difference down to the middle and accept that Fonzie spend 8 years bullshitting and throwing parties and making statues and THONGS. and lets just agree that it deserves a 6.
    This is like No Man's Sky, all the hype and then an empty game. and people are saying "yeah but 30 years ago someone didn't do a great job either so its forgiven and-"

NO, nothing is forgiven. the guy bragged about how he was gonna make the best brawler ever and he FAILED. it looks nice but so does No Man's Sky. HE FORGOT THE GAMEPLAY.

Lets just go with a 5.

Master of Shinobi

As I understand, No Man's Sky got quite better over the years and updates, didn't it? Don't quote me on that, though.
    I'd very much prefer Phantar's STB review to replace the MAIN review on the site. I know everyone quotes THAT damn review because it's so easy, but it's not a shortcut and we would pick another one if that one didn°t exist, yes. I don't disagree that much with that 7, and it's not even that important, what matters is the text of the review itself, which is quite good, and delivers with what is to be expected from the site concerning such a big release as Paprium.

I'm not forgiving anything about Fonzie, it's just that all that is far from the point. Being pissed at him, etc. Well, he promised to publish the game and that it would look like a Neo Geo title. Both things are true, even with what we all know in between. Also the paypal block thing actually is looking more and more to be true, so let's put a pin on the Air France supposed scam for the moment, also. And don't forget there were a time some people were demonstrating that those graphics just weren't possible on the system and it was a scam, the game didn't exist, etc etc. Well, here it is, shallow gameplay or not. Of course when you market things you say it's gonna be the best game ever. Virtua Racing did that, Eternal Champions did that, and they paid the price of being considered even worst today than they really are, particularly the second one.

Also nodoby is badmouthing Ecco the Dolphin because it was inspired by some drug addict who abused animals. We should separate the art from the artist, anytime.

People have been periodically bringing up the Super Thunderblade review for years. Almost everyone (including me) think that score is completely unjustifiable but Melf and long-timers see what opens up if you change that one review. I know for example that a lot of people were unhappy with my review of The Lost World: Jurassic Park. Should that be changed too? I can only imagine the stink if I'd happened to have been the one to review Strider.

You should look at the review manifest that writers are supposed to follow. This isn't IGN and we don't judge anything not scoring between 7-10 as bad. Games that score 5 or 6 are still decent games. I reviewed Wonder Boy III: Monster Lair for example and gave it a 5. I still played that game loads of times and like it to this day. It just has a number of significant flaws and is way worse than the Arcade and Turbo versions.

So 7 means Paprium is a great game which sounds pretty generous judging by the general impressions I've read. In any case, a game should be judged on the end result and this reviews reads like it was. I haven't played it myself and am still waiting for a refund.

Many people also forget that it was that STB review that prompted me to create the Review Manifest. Before, we had no guidelines for review scores.

Even though the graphics in general are pretty great, most of the locations you visit are just not very memorable. The first squalid cyberpunkish street stage may look impressive, with some nicely detailed backgrounds and surroundings. But since about 80% of the stages look and feel pretty much in the same vein, in similar grey/green/neon pink hues, there is no stage environment that really stands out as particularly memorable
    I agree
    "I wanted to create something that the Famicom wouldnít have been able to do..." (Kotaro Hayashida)
    Wii is dying. Last game Just Dance 2020. Thanks for all!

Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by Melf View Post
    Many people also forget that it was that STB review that prompted me to create the Review Manifest. Before, we had no guidelines for review scores.
    That review is the Night Trap of the Sega-16 site then

Road Rasher

The first Sega-16 review that I read in ages! Good writing and very thorough coverage!
    However I don't understand why the reviewer has a problem with beating up cops and flying boobs.

Thread Information