Quantcast

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 24 of 24

Thread: Paprium

  1. #16
    JPEC83's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    190
    Rep Power
    16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Seingalt View Post
    However I don't understand why the reviewer has a problem with beating up cops and flying boobs.
    Where have you been for the last decade? That's the sort of thing reviewers are supposed to focus on now!

    I guess we're just a bit behind the times and focus too much on whether the game is good or not.

  2. #17
    Nameless One
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    58
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Seingalt View Post
    The first Sega-16 review that I read in ages! Good writing and very thorough coverage!
    However I don't understand why the reviewer has a problem with beating up cops and flying boobs.

    Perhaps its a LGBTIQ guy.

    They feel offended by nearly everything this days

  3. #18
    Pirate King Phantar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Munich, Germany
    Age
    40
    Posts
    4,436
    Rep Power
    78

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pepodmc View Post
    Perhaps its a LGBTIQ guy.

    They feel offended by nearly everything this days
    For the record: I'm a cissexual heteronormative guy, married with child. But it's interesting to see what kind of assumptions and insinuations some people tend to immediately jump to. They seem to be so easily triggered these days.

    And I am Not "offended.", though I can see why some people would be. But as I tried (and was apparently not quite able to) explain, my "problem" is that the Game ('s designer) wants me to fight through hordes of these enemies without giving me any proper reason or frame of reference to do so. The Game gives me even less of a Backstory or Baseline between 'good guys' and 'bad guys' than Final Fight or even Bad Dudes in my opinion. These enemies are just there because, well, they are kind of similar to certain enemies in these older beat'em'ups. But whereas, for example, 'Ash' in Bare Knuckle 3 was a memorable encounter in its own right, in Paprium you geht flooded with these enemies for no real reasons - they might just as well be your standard SoR-style Galcia for all the difference it makes. The way it is used here, it just comes across as juvenile. Imagine If "Cho Aniki" suddenly started to creep into "Streets of Rage". That's just not good Game design in my opinion.
    Last edited by Phantar; 01-24-2021 at 03:56 AM.
    The funny thing about an oxymoron is, even if you remove the ox, there'll always be a moron. The Question Remains: Y?

  4. #19
    Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert majinga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    209
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Phantar View Post
    ...The Game gives me even less of a Backstory or Baseline between 'good guys' and 'bad guys' than Final Fight or even Bad Dudes in my opinion. These enemies are just there because, well, they are kind of similar to certain enemies in these older beat'em'ups...
    The background story is in the manga.
    It's very classic, some apocalyptic devastation, last city on the planet. Like in Demolition Man.
    And like in Demolition Man shops no longer exist, the only clothes shops left are sexy shops.
    In this megalopolis everyone is evil and corrupted.
    There are giants, like in Kenshiro, and some people got mutation, probably due to the pollution.
    A very common mutation seem to be the tongue enlargement, that's why most people stay with the tongue out.
    Last edited by majinga; 01-24-2021 at 12:43 PM.

  5. #20
    JPEC83's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    190
    Rep Power
    16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Phantar View Post
    Yes, that was totally the centerpiece of the entire review, I am so glad you read it that thoroughly and understood it. 😉. Apparently focussing on what was actually written in a review instead of just assuming that the writer has some kind of Agenda seems to be too old-fashioned as well these days.
    I don't see how you could think I was referring to your review given the other post I made in this thread but I'll assume you have misunderstood. I was referring to what goes on at other websites, particularly Polygon and Kotaku and not the substance of your own review, which as you say, only dwelt briefly on that subject matter.

  6. #21
    Pirate King Phantar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Munich, Germany
    Age
    40
    Posts
    4,436
    Rep Power
    78

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JPEC83 View Post
    I don't see how you could think I was referring to your review given the other post I made in this thread but I'll assume you have misunderstood. I was referring to what goes on at other websites, particularly Polygon and Kotaku and not the substance of your own review, which as you say, only dwelt briefly on that subject matter.
    My mistake, but it kind of gave the impression that it's also referring to the review itself when it's standing by its own in the top of Page 2 of replies. Didn't see your earlier reply (or rather, forgot you Made another comment as well.) Anyways, sorry for misunderstanding. /Edit: I've decided to delete the Post.
    Last edited by Phantar; 01-24-2021 at 12:46 PM.
    The funny thing about an oxymoron is, even if you remove the ox, there'll always be a moron. The Question Remains: Y?

  7. #22
    Now with 33% more @$$! Master of Shinobi Assman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,194
    Rep Power
    43

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Phantar View Post
    My mistake, but it kind of gave the impression that it's also referring to the review itself when it's standing by its own in the top of Page 2 of replies. Didn't see your earlier reply (or rather, forgot you Made another comment as well.) Anyways, sorry for misunderstanding. /Edit: I've decided to delete the Post.
    I took it the same way you did. As thorough and well-thought-out as I thought your review was, it almost annoyed me enough to make a snarky comment. Almost.

  8. #23
    The Gentleman Thief Baloo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    5,668
    Rep Power
    96

    Default

    Great review Phantar. Nice to see some critique of the content that would have gotten a rise out of teenagers in the 90s as not quite being worth it to be in the game, even if it "fits" thematically. As someone who didn't know squat about this game until two months ago (I don't follow the homebrew scene despite the long thread here on the boards) I thought it was a concise, great review. Nice job.
    Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    The Sega Saturn was God's gift to humanity. This is inarguable fact!



    Feedback Thread: http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...ack&highlight=

  9. #24
    Training-in-Hedgehog Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher tokay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    252
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by majinga View Post
    The background story is in the manga.
    It's very classic, some apocalyptic devastation, last city on the planet. Like in Demolition Man.
    And like in Demolition Man shops no longer exist, the only clothes shops left are sexy shops.
    In this megalopolis everyone is evil and corrupted.
    There are giants, like in Kenshiro, and some people got mutation, probably due to the pollution.
    A very common mutation seem to be the tongue enlargement, that's why most people stay with the tongue out.
    Furthermore, game starts right away with cops blasting Dice's door and beating you.
    I don't get what else you need to know in order to figure that cops are your enemies?
    ...Or maybe I'm just getting old and did not try modern "comply and stay in jail forever" beat 'em up.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •