Quantcast

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ELLENICA: An update on my RPGAdventure (2021)

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One McValdemar's Avatar

Default ELLENICA: An update on my RPGAdventure (2021)

Just wanted to share some screens and video of the progress on the title

I hope in the next month to update with a combact video and, end of summer, a free demo will be released.
    Game will be ready end of 2021/early 2022.

More info:
    https://www.facebook.com/EllenicaRPG
    https://twitter.com/McValdemar

I appreciate the effort you have put into making the environments better and better, and i really love the sound design.

Thanks very much for the nice comment. You know, appreciation is the first thing to recharge energies when you develop as hobby

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingOutrunner Stifu's Avatar

Yep, it looks quite nice. That helm looks a bit wobbly when walking in side view (left or right). I had such issues in a game, where we'd try to overlap a piece of cloth over a character sprite. It can be tricky to keep them in sync. Still, it's pretty cool that you can see the equipment on your character.

Quote Originally Posted by Stifu View Post
    Yep, it looks quite nice. That helm looks a bit wobbly when walking in side view (left or right). I had such issues in a game, where we'd try to overlap a piece of cloth over a character sprite. It can be tricky to keep them in sync. Still, it's pretty cool that you can see the equipment on your character.
    You nailed down the reason.
    I tried to find the best shifting numbers "per item typology" but of course they're not perfect for each kind of helm.
    Same is for shields.
    Armours are more easy.

But I wanted absolutely to see on your character exactly what you equipped.

Maybe that when I will have time for further refinement, I will be able to refine even further.
    But I love to hear people facing same challenges.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingSports Talker inqualls's Avatar

I love the realistic aesthetic. The way you executed the gameplay elements helps slow down the player to captivate and immerse their attention. The font, sfx and movement speed are just a few things out of many other aspects that I enjoyed and feel very successful right away from watching the above videos. Are you working with a team or is this a solo project? Either way, awesome work so far. I'll be following this for sure.

Great work! Screenshots didn't sell me on this but by that first video did.
    -Meu blog sobre Mega Drive/Genesis.
    - no youtube.

Quote Originally Posted by paulojr_mam View Post
    Great work! Screenshots didn't sell me on this but by that first video did.
    He he he
    Thanks Paulo!

In any case I will release a good chunk as demo, I don't like to just "tease" with screens or videos, especially when the game I want to propose is quite different as approach and might not be everyone's cup of tea.

For great justice! Outrunner Tor Landeel's Avatar

Love seeing Ellenica everywhere
    Cannot wait for the demo
    ***** トル・ランディール ******
    Cadash Arcade Colors hack:
    https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3905/
    Out Run Arcade Colors hack:
    https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3940/

Im following your progress through twitter and youtube, this games looks unique and cool ti play and discover.

Congratulations and keep going with good work

Visit my youtube channel Pyron's Lair
    Take here all my hacks made with love for all of us here
    Want to help me? Here is my Patreon!

Hero of Algol

First of all, thanks for sharing your progress with us. I remember that I commented positively on this game when you first posted about it here.
    Interesting concept for a MD game.

Regarding the graphics, I''d like to make some observations that you may find helpful (or not):
    Quote Originally Posted by McValdemar View Post
    1) You're losing a lot of the art details due to the palette used here. Some tones are too close to be distinguishable, so light gray and light brown details, for an example, end up being mixed up into one single thing.
    I'd recommend spacing up the tones a bit more so we can appreciate the art details.
    Also, be aware, the tone proximity issue will be be even worse on CRTs (due to blending and color bleeding).

If it's using auto-converted colors, then it would be worth it to touch up the palettes manually prior to the final release.

2) Adding dark hard contours to the objects and chars would improve it greatly. And make it easier on the eyes in terms of visual separation.
    Phantasy Star II uses it mostly for chars but Landstalker uses it for both chars and objects.
    The trees, for an example, are blending into the grass due to the lack of that.

You could reach the same effect using a richer palette and always reserving the darkest tone of each color for the art nearing borders of the sprites, but this takes a lot more time, thought and costs some precious colors.
    That's why the hard black contour is likely an easier gain to have. And it will also work with any automatized color conversion since 0 0 0 is 0 0 0 across the board.

Quote Originally Posted by McValdemar View Post
    In a similar fashion, it would increase readiness if you added mid-light gray borders to the letters of the inactive tabs.
    Last edited by Barone; 01-19-2021 at 03:48 PM.

Hi Barone,
    first of all, thanks alot for the constructive suggestions.
    I REALLY appreciate any different opinion and on 2 of the three suggestions I can confirm I will take advantage of what you suggested.

About the palette, actually, coming from the C64 scene, I intentionally relied on bleeding of colours on CRT, subtle changes in shades or, different colors but that are on the same Luma/Chroma range.
    At the same time, I agree with you, maybe regaining a bit more difference in colors might be interesting.
    Consider that exactly on this aspect I asked Gabriel Pyron's help on a cuple of locations.
    So, about this, I confirm that I plan to give another look to the palettes.
    As you can imagine, crafting an Rpg as almost one-man effort, is massively time consuming as it's not an arcade nor a puzzle game. So, I really hope I will have time for this final touch up as the number of palettes in the game is really huge.

About the "inactive tabs" absolutely with you.
    In any case the player must be able to read the other options. I will definitely follow your suggestion and add a border to make everything readable.

About the dark outline/black outline this is the only part I can confirm I didn't like as result.
    At the beginning I tried it but I don't like the too-cartonish result.
    Actually to me the "blending" of backdrop and elements is really an effect I want to preserve. Almost all the items, including a single coin on a table, drop a shadow (dithered) to allow some depth but the outline, that I agree would improve some aspects, would give the game a different look from the one I intended.
    What could be beneficial is, anyway, the #1 that could result in improved contrast.

Again, thanks alot for your comment as opinions and confrontation really helps looking our work from a different point of view.

The Cat in the Hat Shining Hero NeoVamp's Avatar

The game looks really great, I love the Greek mythology theme.
    Don't have much else to say I guess, keep up the great work!

Quote Originally Posted by inqualls View Post
    I love the realistic aesthetic. The way you executed the gameplay elements helps slow down the player to captivate and immerse their attention. The font, sfx and movement speed are just a few things out of many other aspects that I enjoyed and feel very successful right away from watching the above videos. Are you working with a team or is this a solo project? Either way, awesome work so far. I'll be following this for sure.
    This was the direction I wanted to bring the player to. Not rush through locations, but really enjoy the exploration, interaction and appreciation of details.
    The team is small.
    There is one guy for MUSICS.
    SFX are bought from companies that sell them.
    GFX are done 70% by a guy for the PC version of the game (that was never finished) and are ported + added the remaining 30% by me as I wanted the aestetics to really feel "mine".
    DESIGN/ CODING is all on me.

I will be more than happy to share around summer a first open Beta.
    Thanks very much for your support

Quote Originally Posted by NeoVamp View Post
    The game looks really great, I love the Greek mythology theme.
    Don't have much else to say I guess, keep up the great work!
    He he he I think that the (ancient) Greece theme should be used more so, happy to hear someone else thinks the same

Thread Information