Quantcast

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ELLENICA: An update on my RPGAdventure (2021)

The Cat in the Hat Shining Hero NeoVamp's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by McValdemar View Post
    This was the direction I wanted to bring the player to. Not rush through locations, but really enjoy the exploration, interaction and appreciation of details.
    I love when games do that, I personally really enjoy games that allow me to just linger and enjoy the scenery and feel like I'm actually visiting a place.
    Most games are too quick with the MOVE ON! thing, that's why I enjoyed Shining Force 1 and 2 as much as I did. and hated Shining Force CD for cutting out the villages to visit.

I hope this game will have a lot of places to visit, and a nice feel of a big living world.

For great justice! Outrunner Tor Landeel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NeoVamp View Post
    and hated Shining Force CD for cutting out the villages to visit.
    That's the reason I don't really see why it gets so much praise. I mean, it's practically just a series of fights which of course I enjoy, but find tedious after a while without a break.
    I prefer SF2 because of the combination of challenging fights, free roam, the small puzzles and secrets you can find.
    ***** トル・ランディール ******
    Cadash Arcade Colors hack:
    https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3905/
    Out Run Arcade Colors hack:
    https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3940/

Master of Shinobi

uh, that's because it's a port of two Game Gear games who didn't have space for villages
    Lists of MD games: officially licensed (~925) @ cart sizes @ Top 5 @ Top 250 @ Sonic hacks @ best title screens @ Arcade ports (150) @ best European games

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One McValdemar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chilled View Post
    uh, that's because it's a port of two Game Gear games who didn't have space for villages
    True, actually was more of a collection of games for SEGA CD and not something to take advantage of the console.
    But the point is still valid that balance between exploration, interaction and combact is really important.

For instace, I am not a fan of random encounters/griding as used in many Final Fantasy or in Pier Solar. I mean, I still consider many FF games as masterpieces, but the idea of randomgly teleporting player in battle arenas will always feel like a cheap way of artificially extend the length of the game.
    For Ellenica I opted for limited respawn. It means that in every location where there are enemies, just some of them have a % of probability to respawn when you'll visit again the location.
    At night this probability will be higher but, still, just a subset of them, you see them on the screen, you have even different ways to reduce the chance of beeing attacked (from most of them).

Grinding is definitely not an approach I like.

Master of Shinobi

village exploration and not having to grind or not having random encounters are my favourite things in a game, actually
    Lists of MD games: officially licensed (~925) @ cart sizes @ Top 5 @ Top 250 @ Sonic hacks @ best title screens @ Arcade ports (150) @ best European games

The Cat in the Hat Shining Hero NeoVamp's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chilled View Post
    village exploration and not having to grind or not having random encounters are my favourite things in a game, actually
    I hear that, nothing like an adventure esque rpg without that annoying grinding.
    I swear Tales of Phantasia would have been better if it had been more adventure based.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher

Wrong genre then, you want adventure games, not RPGs :P

Thread Information