Quantcast

Thread: Atlantis: The Lost Tales for Saturn

Wildside Expert

Default Atlantis: The Lost Tales for Saturn

Following a bit an earlier thread and because I found myself with some free time during lock down I decided to discover the 'Atlantis' series of games.

Starting with the first one - The Lost Tales - I had a go at the PSX version, right now I am currently playing disc 2, when I realized there was also a Saturn version.

Ok, I was somewhat curious because I thought the PSX version would be superior but it seems Cryo approached Sega to show and convince them it was worthwhile releasing the game on the Saturn, so there must have been some optimization done?

After a while I think I've spotted some differences: resolution (and aspect ratio?), motion sequences, a general sense of faster gameplay and animation of NPC, but are these enough to make me play the game from the start on the sega system instead?

Hmm, I know now there is also the PC version and some unofficial updates for it.

Great, so there is PC, PSX and Saturn versions of the game.

What are the ups and downs of each one?

Which one is your favorite?

Raging in the Streets xelement5x's Avatar

I played the PAL version of this for awhile on my Saturn but didn't get very far. I wanted to like it by Myst style games have never been my strong point.
    Quote Originally Posted by StarMist View Post
    A spine card is the hymen of a new game assuring its first owner that he is truly her one and only, and of a used game assuring its new owner that whilst she has been played with in the past that play has never been too careless or thorough.

Wildside Expert

I have been playing both Saturn and PSX versions for a while and I must say I have mixed feelings.

I really enjoy the increased resolution (and color depth I believe) of the PSX version because it looks better on a large CRT tv screen and the puzzles display a control-instruction screen which is a welcome addition.

However, the Saturn version plays faster - which is a good thing in some key moments where timing is crucial -, has animated scenes and sounds missing in the Sony console (why?) and you don't need to be saving all the time because it keeps track of the player's progress in the game. Albeit visually downgraded when compared to PSX and PC it retains good playability which IMO is what makes for an overall satisfying gaming experience.

Still I feel it could have been even better, after having played the Saturn version of 'Frankenstein: TTEOTM' it seemed to me the Saturn could handle really good PC ports of such games.

Thread Information