Quantcast

Thread: The Ace Blaster controller - why so bad? (PCE / MD)

Default The Ace Blaster controller - why so bad? (PCE / MD)

Not sure if this is the best forum to ask, but has anyone experience with the Blaster controller?
    s-l1600.jpg
    Here is the MD version.
    It was also released for PCE and MSX. The MSX has the same connector as MD but only two buttons.

Everyone I've had has had input problems. It seems like something is wrong with the cable. It doesn't register some buttons, or loses them sometimes depending on how the cable is held.
    I tried to resolder the solder joints inside without much luck.
    It is sad to have to throw them all away, but I can't figure out what is wrong with them. Can cables go bad?

Wildside Expert

Didn't know about that one, seems an enhanced joycard type with all those functions, looks nice.

Don't throw them away, what you describe sounds like broken wires inside the cable. It has happened a couple of times to me too, so yes, cables can go bad.

Repairing can be tricky because you may need to cut the cable up to the point where the damaged wire is and it may get too short, and that is assuming the fault is not on the DB9 connector side.

If the fault is in the db9 plug it is also possible to replace the plug but I am not sure the housing of a new plug allows a correct fit.

The most easy solution is simply replace the whole cable, if you can find a 2nd hand controller with a known good cable (same pins and number of wires of course) or perhaps an extension lead you can cut.

Whatever you do, don't cut any cable or de-solder any wires before writing down the original connections of your controller!
    Last edited by MegaDriver; 02-03-2021 at 02:28 PM.

Thank you for the suggestions.

I want to add, I've had three or so of these for PCE, and all of them had problem. It is a devious problem because it only appears sometimes (cable twisted certain angle). I even sold one, thinking I imagined it, but the customer complained and I had to refund him.
    Seems to be the d-pad.

I think it is weird that all of the cables have the same problem.

It is not the plug connection, I'm pretty sure. Because I tested stretching the wire in different directions and it works in some but not in some.

If you are interested I can sell you one for cheap and maybe you can fix it.

Wildside Expert

It is possible that the cable used was not the most suitable type for flexing and once the controller got in production that would mean many units would show the same problem over time.

If you suspect the D-pad you can try cleaning the contact pads on the pcb and on the membrane. That usually works but sometimes it may be necessary to renew the ones on the membrane (or get a new membrane).

Thanks, but I already have my fair share of controllers and I'm happy with them.

Thread Information