Quantcast

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Was Saturn doomed to fail or could it somehow have sold more than the PS1?

Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    Which is way too low. Just my group of friends in High School had about a half dozen C64s between themes . I think that itís a flawed system for estimating units sold.
    It was a method good enough for military intelligence.
    You and your friends having many of them doesn't mean anything, the C+4 and C16 and even the CDTV was extremely common in my area but they weren't successes anywhere (they just dumped the unsold units here). Likewise for the Saturn I've talked to people in the USA who didn't even knew it existed at all, while in Japan I've seen stores having hundreds of Saturn consoles stocked on the shelves. It just means the hardware was more popular in some area than others.

Quote Originally Posted by zyrobs View Post
    You and your friends having many of them doesn't mean anything, the C+4 and C16 and even the CDTV was extremely common in my area but they weren't successes anywhere (they just dumped the unsold units here). Likewise for the Saturn I've talked to people in the USA who didn't even knew it existed at all, while in Japan I've seen stores having hundreds of Saturn consoles stocked on the shelves. It just means the hardware was more popular in some area than others.
    Sure but when we have official numbers from the actual manufacturer they should hold some weight. It's not like it's some odd crazy number, it's a pretty believable and specific number. 8.8 Million systems and 80 million games. It seems more likely to me that your numbers may be off due to either gaps in the data or a faulty assumption rather than Sega lying to their investors by a couple million. That's a pretty significant number to be off by and it would show up in the earnings report because things wouldn't add up.

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

I'm not going to keep beating the horse, but I lived in (BFE) Montana, in a town called Libby. You couldn't just walk to a store and pick up a C64, let alone buy an Atari VCS off of a shelf. You had to actually make a serious effort to get those kinds of items. The nearest cities were Spokane Washington (2 hour drive), or (3.5 hour drive) Missoula Montana. My friend Bryan's dad bought their C64 from the duty free Airforce base in Helena Montana, which was a 6 hour drive from our town. I got my C64 from a guy selling his in the local newspaper for $180. I had to mail order (@$225) my 1541 drive from a vender in Compute Magazine. The only place selling computers was the Radio Shack that carried Tandy Computers.

Our schools had Apple IIe computers, but my Computer literature class had 5 C64s and 1 C128. The Advanced Computer Literature class had about a dozen Apple IIe computers, which were uber expensive at the time.

Yeah, I did check out this registry site where the numbers for the C64 were pulled from. My Bread Box C64 is about 5 million above the lowest P serial numbered units on this list. That's a large amount just for that serial number range and there's a lot of missing data there. I haven't even looked at my original C64 that's sitting in a plastic bin.

https://c64preservation.com/dp.php?pg=registry

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by gamevet; 04-12-2021 at 08:55 PM.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by TrekkiesUnite118 View Post
    Sure but when we have official numbers from the actual manufacturer they should hold some weight. It's not like it's some odd crazy number, it's a pretty believable and specific number. 8.8 Million systems and 80 million games. It seems more likely to me that your numbers may be off due to either gaps in the data or a faulty assumption rather than Sega lying to their investors by a couple million. That's a pretty significant number to be off by and it would show up in the earnings report because things wouldn't add up.
    3rd time I'm saying that I got lower numbers because I made a mistake initially, are you skipping over my posts or what?

3rd time I'm saying that I got lower numbers because I made a mistake initially, are you skipping over my posts or what?
    Sorry I missed the ones on the previous page. When the forum is loading at the speed of 56k you can miss few posts easily.

Thread Information