Quantcast

Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1117181920212223 LastLast

Thread: THE OFFICIAL "Where is my copy of Paprium?" Thread

Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by chilled View Post
    why didn't you sell them at a fixed cost ? Isn't this pure speculation and what has been artificially driving up retrogaming prices for years now? Aren't those iniatives what are making the retrogaming scene a thing for privileged people instead of a popular hobby like it was not that long ago?
    I don't understand this logic. Go on eBay almost everything is being sold at auction... why should videogames be the one item that has to be sold at fixed cost? Why shouldn't the seller try to make as much money as possible?

Retrogaming on original hardware has always been a "privileged" hobby, if you're broke you can run MAME on your laptop. Maybe you can even run Paprium that way, or so a Little Man told me...

The Cat in the Hat Shining Hero NeoVamp's Avatar

If they wanna pay through the nose for a terrible game like Paprium then its their loss man. a fool and his money etc.

Death Bringer ESWAT Veteran Black_Tiger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by axel View Post
    I don't understand this logic. Go on eBay almost everything is being sold at auction... why should videogames be the one item that has to be sold at fixed cost? Why shouldn't the seller try to make as much money as possible?

Retrogaming on original hardware has always been a "privileged" hobby, if you're broke you can run MAME on your laptop. Maybe you can even run Paprium that way, or so a Little Man told me...
    I rarely list anything at auction and only when I can't narrow down a fair price.

I search actual sold prices and factor in completeness, condition, etc. I then check the lowest prices of active non-auction listings to see if something is available for less.

I then list items as Buy it Now only for less than available and actual sold price average.

You can say that anyone should do anything they can get away with. But if you have to ask why wouldn't someone try to get the most they can, you wouldn't understand the answer.

Additionally, manipulating the homebrew market and gouging for profit margins exponentially greater than what developers and publishers make is killing the honebrew scene.

It's what led to kind of nonsense that went on at nintendoage. It discourages quality game development and encourages the publishing of terrible low effort software that can barely be described as games.
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Tiger View Post
    I rarely list anything at auction and only when I can't narrow down a fair price.

I search actual sold prices and factor in completeness, condition, etc. I then check the lowest prices of active non-auction listings to see if something is available for less.

I then list items as Buy it Now only for less than available and actual sold price average.

You can say that anyone should do anything they can get away with. But if you have to ask why wouldn't someone try to get the most they can, you wouldn't understand the answer.

Additionally, manipulating the homebrew market and gouging for profit margins exponentially greater than what developers and publishers make is killing the honebrew scene.

It's what led to kind of nonsense that went on at nintendoage. It discourages quality game development and encourages the publishing of terrible low effort software that can barely be described as games.
    I guess we can agree to disagree, because I don't see it as "getting away with" anything. I thought the whole point of selling is to make as much money as possible. If you choose to set a price yourself that's fine too because it's your choice. I don't care what you do with your games. Likewise if others choose to spend hundreds or thousands on common games they'll never play because they're enamored with boxes and serial numbers, so what? It's their money not mine.

What's killing the homebrew scene is guys like Fonzie who take people's money, lie repeatedly for years and then finally deliver a game that infringes on other people's work and doesn't even work on some hardware revisions. Why would anyone burned by Fonzie want to donate to another Kickstarter after that?

Even if Fonzie was a legitimate businessman, which he's proven time and again he is not, does it make sense to sell these games for $50-70 when the market value is $400 or more? No wonder he is always crying about not making any money. All of the profit is being made by the people reselling the games later. How can anyone keep making games when they don't make a profit? They can't.

Master of Shinobi

uh no: CRT used to be free + 30$ genesis with pad + 30$ for 5-10 nice games not that long ago VS 600$ a laptop not counting the pirated roms and is still 10 times cheaper to retrogame on real hardware. or was, before speculation got widespread.
    Lists of MD games: officially licensed (~925) @ cart sizes @ Top 5 @ Top 250 @ Sonic hacks @ best title screens @ Arcade ports (150) @ best European games

Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by chilled View Post
    uh no: CRT used to be free + 30$ genesis with pad + 30$ for 5-10 nice games not that long ago VS 600$ a laptop not counting the pirated roms and is still 10 times cheaper to retrogame on real hardware. or was, before speculation got widespread.
    Well if you're counting the CRT as being free because someone was throwing it out, why stop there? Go dumpster dive an older PC, install Linux, you should be good to go. You can even enjoy a free lunch in the process! Win-win.

This thread is a constant well of disappointment. I really hope people get their games/product. Paprium is easily the most divisive, complex retro game release in my experience. It's just marred with so much negativity, confusion, etc. For the people that received their copies, it's kinda a bummer, there's a weird sort of survivor's guilt, our other community members that invested and were around for just as long got nothing.

I'll never fund anything Fonzie is associated with again. I appreciate the work and effort that the members of WM put into the game, but Fonzie's handling of the development, fulfilment, etc. has been a disaster. It's a huge disservice to everyone that worked on the game. We should be talking about the game, the art, the music, the scope, what worked, what didn't, instead, it's just the negativity and craziness surrounding the dev and completion of the game.

Truly the most disappointing end to this story.

SEGA-Jorge

Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by SEGA-Jorge View Post
    This thread is a constant well of disappointment. I really hope people get their games/product. Paprium is easily the most divisive, complex retro game release in my experience. It's just marred with so much negativity, confusion, etc. For the people that received their copies, it's kinda a bummer, there's a weird sort of survivor's guilt, our other community members that invested and were around for just as long got nothing.

I'll never fund anything Fonzie is associated with again. I appreciate the work and effort that the members of WM put into the game, but Fonzie's handling of the development, fulfilment, etc. has been a disaster. It's a huge disservice to everyone that worked on the game. We should be talking about the game, the art, the music, the scope, what worked, what didn't, instead, it's just the negativity and craziness surrounding the dev and completion of the game.

Truly the most disappointing end to this story.

SEGA-Jorge
    Repped. I can't believe people have continued to give Fonzie money. But this is a trend I've noticed with retrogaming, people tend to be far more forgiving when it comes to someone making games or accessories for older systems than they would be toward any other type of business. I've watched the same thing happen over and over, one guy will have an idea and he comes in talking about how he's got a legit company run by professionals, then as soon as things don't go as planned he reverts back to "I'm just a hobbyist, cut me some slack". I don't want to derail the thread but those of you who frequent the same forums I do can probably think of at least a dozen similar examples.

Repped. I can't believe people have continued to give Fonzie money. But this is a trend I've noticed with retrogaming, people tend to be far more forgiving when it comes to someone making games or accessories for older systems than they would be toward any other type of business. I've watched the same thing happen over and over, one guy will have an idea and he comes in talking about how he's got a legit company run by professionals, then as soon as things don't go as planned he reverts back to "I'm just a hobbyist, cut me some slack". I don't want to derail the thread but those of you who frequent the same forums I do can probably think of at least a dozen similar examples.
    Fonzie's had my money since 2012. I still got nothing. Tell me, out of those dozen, who comes as close as Fonzie for being a terrible businessman?

Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by Iced Snowman View Post
    Fonzie's had my money since 2012. I still got nothing. Tell me, out of those dozen, who comes as close as Fonzie for being a terrible businessman?
    Have you met Tommy Tallarico?

Have you met Tommy Tallarico?
    No way I would of pre-ordered an Intellivision Amico for $249+

Master of Shinobi

No way I would of pre-ordered an Intellivision Amico for $249+
    First he said it would retail for $149 and the pre-order deposits for a founder's edition were $100, with the promise they would be refundable at any time. Then there were four rounds of crowdfunding, at least one of which promised a 10x return by year's end (in 2020) despite the fact they had no product to sell. Then you could order "physical products", which were just crappy boxes for games that didn't exist yet, at either $80 for four boxes for $150 for eight boxes. The boxes included RFID cards with codes to redeem games, except since they never produced a console or servers there was no way to use them at all.

Maybe you could chalk it up to bad management, except that every person who voiced even the mildest criticisms of these business practices was banned from the Amico discussion threads on AtariAge, Reddit, Facebook etc. They knew full well what they were doing but wanted to string investors along as long as possible.

One thing I've noticed in the retrogaming community is that there are a lot of guys who are very smart in some areas, like coding for example, who are utterly clueless when it comes to basic finance and economics. I was excited for the Amico at first because I liked the idea of a console focused on 2D retrogaming (this was before the Evercade was out) but the huge red flag for me was when I saw how they were funding this thing. If you have a product that's going to sell in the millions you should be able to line up a few big investors, not beg for chump change on forums. Then when I saw the censorship campaign it confirmed my suspicions that this wasn't an honest company.

A few years ago, it was almost exactly the same story with the Retro VGS/Coleco Chameleon. A few years from now it will be something else, because people are suckers.

That was quite the tale of the tape. I wasn't fully aware of this whole con job.

I remember reading about the Coleco fiasco. They are raw deals, indeed.

Master of Shinobi

That was quite the tale of the tape. I wasn't fully aware of this whole con job.

I remember reading about the Coleco fiasco. They are raw deals, indeed.
    That was just the tip of the iceberg. If I wrote out every lie, every deception that happened it would fill a book. Somebody needs to do a documentary because this has become the Enron of game companies. Intellivision took over $40 million in funding, delivered nothing and the company is now over $8 million in debt. Where did it all go?

Fonzie is a much smaller fish, but he followed the same game plan. He hyped up Paprium with that professional looking trailer, bragged about an expansion chip from a company that didn't exist, blamed his troubles on Kickstarter, PayPal, Air France, etc. At least he finally did deliver a product (well, to some customers anyway), but he didn't do the indie scene any favors in the process. For example I remember when Demons of Asteborg went up on Kickstarter, right away there were people who were hesitant to pledge because they thought it might turn into another Paprium.

I wish people would have stopped funding him until he made good on all past obligations, but his last Kickstarter took in around $900k, so apparently for some people hope springs eternal.
    Last edited by axel; 08-22-2022 at 03:36 AM.

JUL 06, 2022 - Intellivision CEO (Phil Adam) Says It Is "Still Working On" The Delayed Amico

July 17, 2022 - Intellivision offices empty and available to lease

Those were headlines of two articles I just read. What a trainwreck. And now I have more remorse, for those who have been had by Intellivison.

When Fonzie came out w/ that mystery game with a dolphin, i just scoffed like I never scoffed before. Not 1 penny, from me, was going towards that mess.

Before that was Project N. How many SNES owners did he convince to lay down their cash on that one?

When I saw that MegaWire4.0 commercial on YT, I was enraged! Spending money on that freaking commercial while myself and others still don't have our products that were ordered around 2012! The nerve of this guy.

I was one of those who was hesitant & did not pledge for Demons of Asteborg. I did order it later and its a gem. I did pledge for Astebros. However, there will always be a doubt now, pertaining to if I have chosen wisely, concerning pre-orders/Kickstarters, etc.

When I saw that Kickstarter for Paprium, again I was like nope, not 1 penny. I learned my lesson and I'm still paying for it. Even if whatever is left of WM happens to mail me my existing Investor's Copy of Paprium, I will never forget the absurdity of it all. I don't know if I will be able to enjoy the game, since some have said its terrible. It pains me to say this, but Fonzie did come through for some. There is a sliver of a chance that, years from now, some more individuals may receive their products from Fonzie. It looks more doubtful that this will be the case with Amico. However, as you stated, there's millions involved with the Amico, (a lawyer's playground) and the possibility to get the money back w/ a class action lawsuit. Fonzie, not so much. He did offer refunds, so I have to give him that to, dang it.

Thread Information