Quantcast

Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 131920212223

Thread: THE OFFICIAL "Where is my copy of Paprium?" Thread

Death Bringer ESWAT Veteran Black_Tiger's Avatar

Although I don't think that Paprium looks like a Neo Geo game, to be fair earlier and some "mid" Neo Geo games don't have great animation. In particular several beat 'em ups.

But Paprium just feels like a regular Mega Drive game without typical media constraints. Like if the Mega-CD got the equivalent of the Arcade Card and had 18 megs of space to run content from.

The visusls are still a mixed bag and inconsistent, giving it much more of a homebrew, or unpolished feel. Where as Xeno Crisis is on a completely different tier and feels 100% like a professional production by a top level dev team.
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Tiger View Post
    Although I don't think that Paprium looks like a Neo Geo game, to be fair earlier and some "mid" Neo Geo games don't have great animation. In particular several beat 'em ups.

But Paprium just feels like a regular Mega Drive game without typical media constraints. Like if the Mega-CD got the equivalent of the Arcade Card and had 18 megs of space to run content from.

The visusls are still a mixed bag and inconsistent, giving it much more of a homebrew, or unpolished feel. Where as Xeno Crisis is on a completely different tier and feels 100% like a professional production by a top level dev team.
    I totally agree. A game like Burning Fight probably has fewer animation frames overall than Paprium, for example in Burning Fight the characters don't even have standing animations. They do have dedicated animations for throwing enemies though, which is why it's so strange that Tug can have an decent standing animation but re-uses his sprites from jumping or being stunned when he does a throw. Or that Murdock, a level boss with his own dialogue, has only two very basic, very similar attacks. A character like that should have an entire arsenal. With all the talk of people not being paid for their work, I think it's possible some artist never got their full compensation and so the game had to be put together with what they had. But who knows. What I do know is that a game like Paprium would never pass muster at SNK. Awhile back I got a copy of the developer manuals for the Neo Geo, they had all sorts of strict guidelines you had to meet to get your game approved. Being able to jump kick your way through the game wouldn't go over at all, since arcade operators are counting on getting a steady revenue stream, not having one person tie up the machine for an hour. Neo Geo games also tend to be much more colorful, with Paprium it's green and purple everywhere.

Xeno Crisis on the other hand is a top tier game that would fit right in with AAA releases from back in the day. Tons of sprites on screen, fast action, great use of color, I consider it far more impressive technically considering it runs on stock hardware and doesn't need four enhancement chips.

At the end of the day I'm happy that anyone is still making games for these older systems. It's just that customers deserve better than what they've received from WaterMelon.

Road Rasher

Quote Originally Posted by axel View Post
    Speaking of which, where's Luis lately? Anyone else remember the time on Twitter when people pointed out the similarities between Murdock and Rugal, and Luis claimed the traced artwork was from an unnamed Chinese contractor and that he had never heard of one of SNK's most famous bosses? Hmm... I wonder why he deleted those Tweets
    Murdock standing pose was so similar to Rugal that they had to change it to have a hand in pocket lol.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingOutrunner Stifu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ryoandr View Post
    Murdock standing pose was so similar to Rugal that they had to change it to have a hand in pocket lol.
    So now he's Rugal with a touch of Yamazaki. "There, now no one will find out!"

Thread Information