Quantcast

Thread: M.U.S.H.A. seismic 35046 Questions...

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert MushaAleste's Avatar

Default M.U.S.H.A. seismic 35046 Questions...

Sega Retro and various other pages claim MUSHA came out in NA in 1990. This isnt true. The US cart
    wasnt available till mid 1991 or something. Does anyone have the exact release date? Also whats the print run
    for MUSHA?

Mega Driver Hedgehog-in-TrainingMaster of Shinobi Gryson's Avatar

Release dates are notoriously difficult to know, since there were no official dates given for most games outside Japan. The March 1991 issue of GamePro (which Wikipedia gets its info from) says "Available Spring '91". I have a feeling Sega avoided release dates for most games because it was too hard to coordinate distribution back then, and games basically trickled out to retailers across a period of weeks or months.

The Gaming Gangsta Master of Shinobi profholt82's Avatar

Here is the review from the March '91 issue of Gamepro magazine.

As far as North American periodicals, there was also an article in the March '91 issue of VideoGames & Computer Entertainment, but I was not able to locate that issue.

And here is a list from Segaretro of the magazines in which MUSHA appeared. There are probably more out there, however.

https://segaretro.org/M.U.S.H.A./Magazine_articles

Edit: I managed to find the article in VideoGames & Computer Entertainment, but there is no information in the review regarding the date of release.
    Last edited by profholt82; 02-09-2021 at 11:27 AM.

I think it must have been april/may. And just from the listings over the years i suspect there are slightly less NA copies than there are NTSC-J ones. Which would be weird since in general japanese Mega Drive print runs were smaller than the Genesis ones. I guess its all speculation at this point.

The thing with MUSHA is that it was published in North America by a company we know basically nothing about: Seismic Software.

The company closed after just two years in operation, with MUSHA being its last release. It published Japanese-developed games that (I assume) bigger publishers in NA didn't want -- mostly shoot-em-ups, which were going out of fashion quickly at the time.

So there's a possibility that Seismic simply didn't publish many copies of MUSHA in NA because it didn't have the funds, or didn't have the distribution network.

Quote Originally Posted by Gryson View Post
    Seismic simply didn't publish many copies of MUSHA in NA because it didn't have the funds, or didn't have the distribution network.
    Most likely. Kinda frustrating that there isnt any more info out there.

Super Sexy Sega Master of Shinobi cowboyscowboys's Avatar

I find a good method for figuring out release dates is to look through old mags to see if/when they started putting ads for the game out. Also reviews.Note: I am talking about the West in Japan they start putting ads in mags months in advance.

The Punisher on Genesis was deemed a December 1994 release just because of the 1994 copyright. I think Sega Retro has it as a February 1995 release now but even that might be a little early.
    Beat Em Up- Streets of Rage 2
    Platformer- Sonic 3 and Knuckles
    Run and Gun- Gunstar Heroes
    Adventure- Story of Thor
    Action- Shinobi 3

A Light In The Building. Master of Shinobi

Release dates are notoriously difficult to know, since there were no official dates given for most games outside Japan.
    That's not entirely true for U.S. releases. Publishers typically provided release dates to the USPTO, Copyright Office, and trade publications such as 'Business Wire' and 'PR Newswire'. If you open cartridges and compare with their date codes, you'll find that most titles were released about a month after they were manufactured.

The thing with MUSHA is that it was published in North America by a company we know basically nothing about: Seismic Software.
    I have a theory that their company president, Masayuki Nishino, and Varie Corp. sales staffer "Masayuki Nishi" are the same person.

So there's a possibility that Seismic simply didn't publish many copies of MUSHA in NA because it didn't have the funds, or didn't have the distribution network.
    Back then, Japanese businessmen setting up a U.S. company usually suffered from a combination of underestimating expenses (California wasn't cheap, even then) and misunderstanding/contempt/ignorance toward American employees/customers.

2222.jpg

Which one is the date code? Also i saw some carts have either Z01/Z02/Z03 next to the 9048. Whats that all about?

"9048" = the 48th week of 1990 or "about a month" before the Japanese release. ICs are often marked with additional codes to identify things such as the factory and assembly line.

Interesting. As far as i remember the US version didnt hit retail before May 91. Early 1991 magazine previews would print screenshots from the japanese version. Well i guess the actual release date, and print run will remain a mystery.

Quote Originally Posted by chessage View Post
    "9048" = the 48th week of 1990 or "about a month" before the Japanese release. ICs are often marked with additional codes to identify things such as the factory and assembly line.
    There are stories of Sega prioritizing its own games over 3rd-parties' for manufacturing and assembly, so the mask ROM itself may have been manufactured at the end of November, but Seismic didn't have the clout to get the assembly and packaging (and transportation) done until after the holiday season, leading to a spring release. Just speculation, but a possibility.

There are stories of Sega prioritizing its own games over 3rd-parties' for manufacturing and assembly, so the mask ROM itself may have been manufactured at the end of November, but Seismic didn't have the clout to get the assembly and packaging (and transportation) done until after the holiday season, leading to a spring release. Just speculation, but a possibility.
    Considering that the ROM is the most expensive part to produce, it would make sense to lump both versions into one bulk order ahead of time. Not all of the smaller third-parties did it this way. Micronet did the opposite with 'Junction', for example.

Quote Originally Posted by MushaAleste View Post
    Early 1991 magazine previews would print screenshots from the japanese version.
    They were likely taken at Japanese trade shows. There are several documentaries on this subject.

Quote Originally Posted by chessage View Post
    They were likely taken at Japanese trade shows.
    Ed Semrad! That guy was awesome. Loved the Sendai EGM issues.

Thread Information