Quantcast

Thread: My fix for 32x producing no video/audio only for Genesis games, nothing for 32x games

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One infidelity's Avatar

Default My fix for 32x producing no video/audio only for Genesis games, nothing for 32x games

So I bought a 32x off of ebay, and noticed that when connecting a Genesis cartridge, I only got audio from the cartridge, and got no video displaying. And when I connected a 32x cartridge, I got no audio and no video.

I had this happen on my following systems with my 32x connected to them.

VA2 model 1 non TMSS Genesis
    VA6 model 1 TMSS Genesis
    VA4 model 2 TMSS Genesis

So the first thing I did was the common 32x fix, reseating/cleaning the 2 white ribbon connectors. Nothing.

I recapped the entire 32x, and included the 32x kevtris video fix. Nothing.

I replaced the choke/coil with a new one. Nothing.

I replaced the voltage regulator. Nothing.

So at this point I pulled up the service manual for the VA0/VA1 32x systems. I started checking various IC's with my multimeter to see if 5 volts were getting to them. Alot of IC's were not receiving 5 volts, some were only getting 2 to 2 1/2 volts. On the CN5 ribbon connector, there is a resistor that is bridged on 2 pins, and that resistor leg was reading 4.95 volts.

I tried searching around for any bridges, whether it being solder or a cap leg not snipped enough, possibly making contact with the RF shielding, all that was not the case.

So I started following traces from the schematic, and came up to a via that was in close proximity to the resistor that was bridging the 2 pins on the CN5 ribbon connector. This trace that I was following, is responsible for carrying 5 volts to alot of places, even the massive awg wire that connects from the main board to the cartridge board, is supposed to supply 5 volts to that cartridge board.

So I exposed the via, used liquid flux and added some solder from the resistor leg to the via. I fired up the 32x and everything works, all the IC's that were not receiving 5 volts, was now getting the needed 5 volts.

I wanted to share this with everyone, incase others find themselves in a similar situation. I know I havent found the actual source to what is causing the IC's not receiving 5 volts originally, but I've ran my 32x for over an hour with zero issues with my fix.

https://ibb.co/C9JyGKf
    https://ibb.co/6wqCCxP
    Last edited by infidelity; 02-09-2021 at 02:56 PM.

Raging in the Streets xelement5x's Avatar

Interesting, so it sounds like the joint from the resistor to the via was cold/broken? Do you have the part number from the PCB, it should be something like R# or whatever right next to it.
    Quote Originally Posted by StarMist View Post
    A spine card is the hymen of a new game assuring its first owner that he is truly her one and only, and of a used game assuring its new owner that whilst she has been played with in the past that play has never been too careless or thorough.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One infidelity's Avatar

Are you talking about my other post regarding my pwm sound issue?

Thread Information