Quantcast

Thread: Obtained 32x off ebay, Genesis has right audio, 32x has no right audio

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One infidelity's Avatar

Default Obtained 32x off ebay, Genesis has right audio, 32x has no right audio

I noticed the issue when I ran Virtua Racing Deluxe, where the SEGA logo has the vroom sfx. It sounded incorrect, so I fired up some test 32x roms i have, one was a MARS sample program which runs diagnostics, the other was an audio test rom specifically for the 32x audio channels, it played the imperial march, and when that song played there was no audio from the right channel.

This is out of my reach in regards to what to do, I was about to swap out the dins, but I decided to check those other programs.

Any ideas? Hoping audiophiles here will see this and know what's up.

Are you sure the DIN cables are good and seated correctly?

Yes. I have another 32x where there are no issues with my patch cable and AV out cable.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training

Quote Originally Posted by infidelity View Post
    I noticed the issue when I ran Virtua Racing Deluxe, where the SEGA logo has the vroom sfx. It sounded incorrect, so I fired up some test 32x roms i have, one was a MARS sample program which runs diagnostics, the other was an audio test rom specifically for the 32x audio channels, it played the imperial march, and when that song played there was no audio from the right channel.

This is out of my reach in regards to what to do, I was about to swap out the dins, but I decided to check those other programs.

Any ideas? Hoping audiophiles here will see this and know what's up.
    I had this and the 32x internal ribbon cables needed to be re-seated a few times. That fixed it.

I'll give that a shot. I've reseated them before and even isopropyl both ends and sides of the ribbons so that I can clean within the connectors.

Ok found the issue after going through the 32x schematic. I was missing the right 32x PWM channel. I came up to a capacitor that was not making a good enough connection. I did a recap, and have performed dozens of recaps on various systems, and never had this happen to me. But I was able to pinpoint from the schematic where the issue may have been, and it was the cap. So I reflowed the negative lead, and I have full sound now, phew!

private pics tumblr

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingSports Talker

Months ago I had recapped a 32X and performed the noise fix. Everything seemed good until I ran Star Wars and noticed no right channel audio during the Star Wars theme. Sure enough, the MARS test program revealed an issue. I had another 32X on-hand that worked fine. I only reseated cables I had never touched (they were literally still glued in) and it began working perfectly. I almost missed this because all other audio and 32X games I tested worked fine. There are even multiple kinds of cartridge audio in the 32X. I didnít notice anything wrong with Virtua Racing and I was listening VERY closely so perhaps mine was a different channel (likely the pseudo-stereo it can deliver from mono PSG).

Thread Information