Quantcast

Thread: Can a quality cable eliminate jailbars?

Road Rasher

Default Can a quality cable eliminate jailbars?

I played with a cheap generic model 2 scart cable for years and thought the image was great, but i always had those jailbars while playing with my cdx and x’eye. I bought a new scart model 2 from insurrection industries and tried it with a model 3, x’eye, cdx and to my surprise the jailbars are gone!!
    I tried with the 32x and x’eye and the jailbars are visible, how is that possible?

I think it depends on the system hardware whether there is jailbars present at all, you would need to mod the system to remove the jailbars. Check out this RetroRGB guide and this video.

https://www.retrorgb.com/genesisrgbbypass.html

https://www.retrorgb.com/genesisrgbcables.html

The problem is they don't have information on the CDX and X'Eye specifically. But I would imagine they may be plagued with the same jailbar interference issues in the hardware regardless of which RGB cable you use.
    Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    The Sega Saturn was God's gift to humanity. This is inarguable fact!

Feedback Thread: http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...ack&highlight=

I'm not 100% sure how SCART works, but is it possible one of the SCART cables is passing composite video and the other is passing RGB? They are encoded differently inside the Genesis/32X.

Road Rasher

No both cables are crystal clear, but the better one just eliminates the jailbars, i would easily spot if it was composite

Road Rasher

Jailbars will appear if a signal with a high frequency subcarrier (like composite video used as sync) runs along without shielding in the cable

Your newer cable is either well shielded and/or uses pure csync from the avout.

Note that there will be residual jailbars due to high frequency noise inside the console, but they tend to be much less noticiable, unless using a very high res display or a digitizing device like OSSC.

Wildside Expert

I don't know if a Scart cable can get rid of jailbars, but from my experience there are two things in a scart cable that can influence picture quality:

- the quality of the cable, that is, the shielding used and the quality of the conductor wires;

- the signal used to provide sync to the tv or monitor: CVBS, Luma, Composite Sync, Composite Sync raw.

I've had cheap cables that only give good picture if I changed the sync signal from CVBS to something better.

On the other hand, I've had "monster-type" cables that use CVBS for sync but give a stunning picture, so I suppose it has something to do with the quality of the wires inside. Usually those cables are thicker and probably mini-coax 75ohm?
    Last edited by MegaDriver; 02-12-2021 at 02:22 PM.

Thread Information