Quantcast

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Paprium Grand Stick III Q & As

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert Kamon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PreZZ View Post
    I think its arcade mode switch+switch 1. Im
    Curious to try arcade mode but theres no way to insert coins
    About that, bit of a leap but I'm willing to bet that the insert coin function is mapped to the second controller port through some mix of inputs. I remember hearing that running two grand sticks would require them to be daisy chained together, that would leave the second port open. Can anyone upload shots of the grand stick manual?

Sports Talker

tried but its resized hard to read, edit to org post.

Thanks for that, looks like I was dead wrong and he specifically says not to do that. My bad!

Sports Talker

Quote Originally Posted by Kamon View Post
    Thanks for that, looks like I was dead wrong and he specifically says not to do that. My bad!
    not do what?

Quote Originally Posted by acem77 View Post
    not do what?
    Daisy chain grand sticks, it says the power input may exceed what the megadrive can give through a single port.

Edit: just saw the page explaining what a-board is. Can't read the text but it seems to some method of detecting presses....faster...more accurately? Seems like marketing fluff but I gotta know more!

Edit edit: okay I can't leave this alone SUB ZERO latency. PREDICTIVE actuation!? He can't be seriously implying what I think he is...
    Last edited by Kamon; 02-17-2021 at 11:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kamon View Post
    Daisy chain grand sticks, it says the power input may exceed what the megadrive can give through a single port.

Edit: just saw the page explaining what a-board is. Can't read the text but it seems to some method of detecting presses....faster...more accurately? Seems like marketing fluff but I gotta know more!

Edit edit: okay I can't leave this alone SUB ZERO latency. PREDICTIVE actuation!? He can't be seriously implying what I think he is...
    I have a 1 and 3 year old running around so haven't had time to do more than open a copy and the grandstick. Assuming 3 player is an option (no idea if it is), could you not throw in a multitap? Some versions will run 4 controllers off of port 1, but EA and some other versions run 2 off of 1 port and 2 off another (I've never opened one up to confirm this but especially with the versions that have cables visibly plugging into both ports that you aren't just running off of port 1). It would stand to reason you could run a run a stick on 1 and 3 through the multitap then a normal controller through 2.

If the original idea was you had to have 3 sticks running to get 3 player, then that would get more difficult. As far as power draw I use a power supply with the same input/output and voltage but extra amperage as it just available if the system needs more power for some reason. With that said, trying to hook up 3 sticks and pulling that kind of power draw would probably cause issues with capacitors and/or overheating in the genesis/mega drive.

Just throwing things out there and in no way am I suggesting trying these things as that's a lot of money at risk and I'm no where close to a tech expect. Those so bold do as they please, but one of the tech expects on here will hop in here and dispell my theory.

I ordered one on 12-23-2020. I will post when I get it.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training americanwaste's Avatar

Is anyone interested in taking a photo of their stick and licensing it under Creative Commons? I don't have one otherwise I'd do it myself. I'd love to include a picture of one on the Wikipedia article for Paprium I'm helping create. Article draft is here if you want to read what's written so far: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Draft:Paprium

The sticks have a controller port on the back. For the 4 player arena mode you have one controller hook in from the back. So in total you can and this is stated with the stick that only two sticks can be used and two controllers through the ports on the back.

Road Rasher

Send me a pm with your email i will send the limited and regular stick and the pcb of the cart

I got the Grand Stick III and I had a chance to use it last night. I played for about 1.5 hours and for Paprium the Grand Stick works really well. So far I love it. I have not tried the Grand Stick for any other games.

It's my first time using a joystick with my Genesis. But I do have a Neo Geo Big Red to compare the the Grand Stick to.

The Grand Stick came with an alternate cover art and I tried to swap it. It's easy enough to take apart expect when it comes to the power cable for the one button that has an LED. I couldn't figure out how to fully take the button apart to get access to the power wire. And on the other end this power wire is soldered to a PCB. So I gave up and put it back together stock.

My first impression is this Grand Stick III is a quality product.
    Sega Dude

Visit my Instagram @RetroMegabit or RetroMegabit.com

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert RvR's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by thesegadude View Post
    I got the Grand Stick III and I had a chance to use it last night. I played for about 1.5 hours and for Paprium the Grand Stick works really well. So far I love it. I have not tried the Grand Stick for any other games.

It's my first time using a joystick with my Genesis. But I do have a Neo Geo Big Red to compare the the Grand Stick to.

The Grand Stick came with an alternate cover art and I tried to swap it. It's easy enough to take apart expect when it comes to the power cable for the one button that has an LED. I couldn't figure out how to fully take the button apart to get access to the power wire. And on the other end this power wire is soldered to a PCB. So I gave up and put it back together stock.

My first impression is this Grand Stick III is a quality product.
    Interesting info, Im no LED wizard but the LED buttons I have seen have clip in style plugs kinda like an ethernet cable. So the one in the grand stick just has a wire going into the plastic? Also you could print the art on a material flexible enough that the outer button rim could be pushed through the corresponding hole.

Quote Originally Posted by RvR View Post
    Interesting info, Im no LED wizard but the LED buttons I have seen have clip in style plugs kinda like an ethernet cable. So the one in the grand stick just has a wire going into the plastic? Also you could print the art on a material flexible enough that the outer button rim could be pushed through the corresponding hole.
    Yes, the wire can be seen going right into the plastics of the button.

You can take the Grand Stick buttons completely apart. They are stock arcade buttons. In this case I didn't know how and I got tired of fussing with it; specially while it's still wired and hard to fuss with. I' sure it's not too hard when you know how these button break down. I'm going guess that inside the button (once it's totally disassembled) the power wire is connected with some kind of quick release.
    Sega Dude

Visit my Instagram @RetroMegabit or RetroMegabit.com

Sports Talker

Quote Originally Posted by americanwaste View Post
    Is anyone interested in taking a photo of their stick and licensing it under Creative Commons? I don't have one otherwise I'd do it myself. I'd love to include a picture of one on the Wikipedia article for Paprium I'm helping create. Article draft is here if you want to read what's written so far: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Draft:Paprium
    Send me a pm if you need anything still, ill take some better photos.

Road Rasher

In an interview today, Fonzie mentionned that the coin mechanism is inside the joystick for the arcade mode

Thread Information