Quantcast

Thread: The Making of Aladdin

Stuck in the Past Shining Hero The Jackal's Avatar

Default The Making of Aladdin

Cool! It was really interesting to learn about the "chopper" software tool that would try to find pieces of wildly different sprites that would look similar so that the different sprites could thereby share tiles and take up less memory even if they weren't designed that way from the outset.

Excellent video! It was very interesting to see how many moving parts were involved with these Disney games. While I am not a huge fan of Lion King, its graphical prowess still shows. And Aladdin of course is a classic, but never knew the lead dev went on to make Earthworm Jim. Who says video games aren't art? Sadly the end of the video is right, we wouldnt see anything like this kind of work until Cuphead I would say.
    Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    The Sega Saturn was God's gift to humanity. This is inarguable fact!

Feedback Thread: http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...ack&highlight=

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher

Quote Originally Posted by dark View Post
    Cool! It was really interesting to learn about the "chopper" software tool that would try to find pieces of wildly different sprites that would look similar so that the different sprites could thereby share tiles and take up less memory even if they weren't designed that way from the outset.
    That's not how I understood it to work, from the how he described it. It's two parts. An intra-frame compression. As in cells from a frame sequence (belonging to that character) can be tokenized and referenced instead of storing redundant pixel data/cells. It's not 'wildly different sprites', as that would rarely would generate a match - it makes most sense for a frame sequence, or related frame sequences of the same character. And the previous step, is simply chopping the frame into efficient cell usage (that's a brute force approach) - to save space. Kind of standard stuff used a lot of PC adventure games with lots of animation, so I'm sure techniques/experience carried over from there.

On a side note, I just recently watched a video interview with the team that created DKC, and supposedly Nintendo wanted a game with lots of animation in direct response to this game. I find that interesting because DKC focused on more graphics than overly exaggerated animation, so I never saw it as a response to this game. As for EWJ, it definitely tightens up most of the animation compared to Aladdin.

Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by turboxray View Post
    As for EWJ, it definitely tightens up most of the animation compared to Aladdin.
    Well, for starters it's 24 vs 16 MEGA POWER, and we all know the one thing David Perry did right was using up almost all the available rom space.
    Lists of MD games: officially licensed (~925) @ cart sizes @ Top 5 @ Top 250 @ Sonic hacks @ best title screens @ Arcade ports (150) @ best European games

Raging in the Streets xelement5x's Avatar

Yeah, seeing how the keyframes and stuff were developed so thoroughly for these games gives me a whole other level of respect to the developers.

This was a very interesting video to watch for sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by StarMist View Post
    A spine card is the hymen of a new game assuring its first owner that he is truly her one and only, and of a used game assuring its new owner that whilst she has been played with in the past that play has never been too careless or thorough.

Thread Information