Quantcast

Thread: Darius Extra Version

Hero of Algol

Megadrive Darius Extra Version

Darius Extra Version has been released in Japan.

Here you can find a proper capture of the game running on real hardware (by a Japanese hardcore MD fan):

Hero of Algol

This is a really good gameplay of it:

So far I could notice that:
    - The scrolling still stutters at times.
    - Explosions still sound bad.
    - SFX are still too loud.
    - Music tracks have been really improved, even using more stereo panning and better sounding instruments.

Master of Shinobi

you mean when compared to the Mini rom, right?
    Lists of MD games: officially licensed (~925) @ cart sizes @ Top 5 @ Top 250 @ Sonic hacks @ best title screens @ Arcade ports (150) @ best European games

Hero of Algol

Yes.

The music sounds even better now. Hope Hide finds a way to release that amazing Fantasy Zone port too.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher

I'm a little confused on history behind this. Was this the fan made port that M2 took over and put on the mini? Is this an unofficial dump of that rom and patched up? Or is this the original fan author's source?

Death Bringer ESWAT Veteran Black_Tiger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by turboxray View Post
    I'm a little confused on history behind this. Was this the fan made port that M2 took over and put on the mini? Is this an unofficial dump of that rom and patched up? Or is this the original fan author's source?
    It is the latest version of that game. It has been updated again (I believe) with a new sound driver to allow FM sound effects and has the gameplay changes that the "Extra" version of the arcade game has.
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

Hero of Algol

Quote Originally Posted by turboxray View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Black_Tiger View Post
    It is the latest version of that game. It has been updated again (I believe) with a new sound driver to allow FM sound effects and has the gameplay changes that the "Extra" version of the arcade game has.
    I'll try to clarify:
    - It's officially licensed by Taito as the Mega Drive mini version also was, but with more input from them this time AFAIK. Taito also gave permission for the different additional packaging items which were used by different retailers in Japan.
    - Zuntata oversaw the work on the music tracks this time.
    - The music fixes/improvements were made by WING☆ (@wing_ghost on Twitter)
    - It uses a hacked/altered version of the XGM audio driver to allow FM and PSG sound effects. Though IDK to which extent they were actually used.
    - WING☆ focused on bringing the soundtrack closer to the arcade version and improving stereo panning since it was one of the highlights of the arcade experience; he also fixed instruments which sounded out of tune, etc.
    - This release contains all the content of the Mega Drive-mini release, although with additional fixes, and the Extra version. And many options to adjust the gameplay.

I'm yet to see a comprehensive list of the SFX changes if they really happened.
    Last edited by Barone; 02-26-2021 at 04:21 PM.

Interesting. Does any of sega's involvement in preparing this for the mini translate into sega endorsing or licensing the cartridge release in some way? If so, I think that would make it the first physical release game for a sega system that is endorsed or licensed by sega since Karous on dreamcast...

Toejam is a wiener. Master of Shinobi SEGA-Jorge's Avatar

I take it this is the same version of the game that was on pre-order at Strictly Limited? When is that actually shipping? I actually bought one and totally forgot...

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One macbee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dark View Post
    Interesting. Does any of sega's involvement in preparing this for the mini translate into sega endorsing or licensing the cartridge release in some way? If so, I think that would make it the first physical release game for a sega system that is endorsed or licensed by sega since Karous on dreamcast...
    I believe the last one was the 2017 re-release of "Monica" for Sega Mega Drive.

monica-_capa.jpg
    Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/mcbremakes

Hero of Algol

Quote Originally Posted by SEGA-Jorge View Post
    I take it this is the same version of the game that was on pre-order at Strictly Limited? When is that actually shipping? I actually bought one and totally forgot...
    Yes. But, unlike the Columbus Circle low quality shit, they are using good quality carts manufactured in Germany.

Quote Originally Posted by dark View Post
    There's no Sega or should I say SOJ involvement in either port. It's a Taito and M2 thing. M2 had the Sega allowance but there are no Sega logos in the Darius Extra Version cartridges.

Quote Originally Posted by macbee View Post
    I believe the last one was the 2017 re-release of "Monica" for Sega Mega Drive.
    Correct.
    Tec Toy stuff is and has always been approved by and officially licensed by SOJ. They still report directly to SOJ regarding all their Sega-related line-up.
    Their carts have Sega logos and all. But they're poorly made and non-level-shifted these days.
    The old ones were as good as anything else.

Thread Information