Quantcast

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The best visual novel and point-and-click adventure games of all time?

Side-note on Back to the Future; never save manually - just let it do its own thing (auto-save). At least that's how it was for me on PS4. The game was unplayable for me at first, but once I stopped saving manually, it was smooth sailing.

I can second Day of the Tentacle and add Beneath a Steel Sky, Monkey Island and Loom. Speaking as someone who's not that into the genre.

This fan remake of King's Quest III is also worth checking out, and it's free:
    http://www.agdinteractive.com/games/.../overview.html
    On a wave of mutilation

https://minirevver.weebly.com/

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

I gotta give the nod to Snatcher. I've finished that game twice.

Full Throttle is a pretty cool one too.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    I gotta give the nod to Snatcher. I've finished that game twice.
    Yep, Snatcher. Policenauts was great too.

Master of Shinobi Mega Drive Bowlsey's Avatar

My choices would be Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars and Blazing Dragons. Love the Python humour in that game!

With regard to some of the previously mentioned games:

Snatcher is excellent. I owned a real copy back in the day then sold it, but it really is one of those games worth its reputation. While Act 3 is a little hasty and wraps things up a little too quickly, it is a wild cyberpunk ride.

Policenauts I actually think is even better than Snatcher because the action sequences are more varied and the storyline is a bit more interesting. I get why it didn't get translated, but Lethal Weapon + Urashima Taro on the Moon is pretty fun. Kojima has a good eye for unique and memorable character design, even if his first two games are pastiches of the biggest 80s action movies.

I also think Broken Sword 1 is one of those hidden gem games that you don't hear about enough. I came across it online as a recommendation and bought the original version and played through it with my wife. We had a lot of fun with it, though thefe were one or two times where we had to use a walkthrough because some of the solutions to progress were just not obvious enough (who puts a drainpipe opener into a brick wall?). But the twists of the plot, which is a much more plausible Dan Brown plotline long before he wrote the Da Vinci code is thoroughly enjoyable.
    Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    The Sega Saturn was God's gift to humanity. This is inarguable fact!

Feedback Thread: http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...ack&highlight=

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training Like G's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blades View Post
    Yep, Snatcher. Policenauts was great too.
    If you are into Snatcher and Rising of the Dragon, try the 1997 Blade Runner PC game. By far the best cyberpunk game of the era, with multiple endings.

I WOULD recommend to you guys the Danganronpa series, but I can see why a lot of you wouldnít like it, and itís not just the Sonic-level fandom nuttery. Not every game in the series is one, though. One of them is a third person shooter.
    I demand a Blaze spinoff!

Me blog

Hope Exists

Just Played through Hotel Dusk Room 215, and really enjoyed the vibe. The puzzles and flow were a little clunky, but very creative. There was only one truly implausible situation I thought, and it really ramped up story-wise toward the end. I'm now playing through the Sequel Last Window which was only released in Europe and Japan but was fully localized in 5 different languages, and it is even better than Hotel Dusk in a lot of ways. I highly recommend both games to anyone interested in some point-and-click adventure goodness.

I haven't finished Ghost Trick yet as I have found the game mechanics to be outrageously tedious, and the graphics don't lend themselves to memorable characters. I may not even finish this one, though I hear the ending is quite good. I'm about halfway through and just frustrated with repeatedly playing through the same scenarios over and over again.

My favorites in this genre are:
    Snatcher, Policenauts, Rise of the Dragon, and Blade Runner.
    Toys: PS4 Pro, PS3 Slim 250GB,PSVita, Xbox, Gamecube, Dreamcast, Saturn, JVC X'Eye, NES, SNES, Neo Geo, Neo Geo CD, Turbo Duo R, PS1, PS2

Movie Setup: Vizio M65, Fluance ES 5.1, Definitive Technology SC 4000, Sony STR-DN840, Apple TV 4k, Synology DS413j with 12TB of media.

Japanese Sonic CD FTW!!! Master of Shinobi Ecco's Avatar

I really like Sega CD Mansion of Hidden Souls, and Jurassic Park.

Genesis Scooby Doo Mystery is actually great, just like the old cartoon.

Isnít Myst the same genre? I never got around to it...

Did you play "Flight of the Amazon Queen"?

I remember back in the 90s I was playing "Discworld" but abandoned it/ never finished it. Maybe now I'll just look it up in one of those longplay videos on youtube.

Quote Originally Posted by Ecco View Post
    I really like Sega CD Mansion of Hidden Souls, and Jurassic Park.

Genesis Scooby Doo Mystery is actually great, just like the old cartoon.

Isnít Myst the same genre? I never got around to it...
    Scooby Doo looks like a great game that I had never heard of! Looked up some footage and it looks like a vintage point and click adventure. Definitely going to try it out!

I DON'T LIKE POKEMON Hero of Algol j_factor's Avatar

Two semi-obscure adventure games that I'm particularly fond of. Both are Western developed, but character-driven like the Japanese adventure games tend to be, but still with Western style interfaces (and very Western settings).

The Colonel's BeQuest, by Sierra, uses the same engine as other Quest games of that time (1989-91), but is very atypical for a Sierra adventure game. It's a murder mystery with a classic detective story vibe, taking place at a Louisiana plantation in the 1920s. The interface is clunky by modern standards, but feels familiar if you've played Sierra adventure games. It kinda-sorta plays like some of the FMV detective games, without FMV. There are some puzzles but it's a lot of talking to people. Kind of like Shenmue, it has an in-game "clock" (but scripted, not realtime) and you sometimes have to be at a certain place at a certain time. Dialog changes based on timing and sequence of who you talk to.

The Last Express, developed by a one-off studio headed by Jordan Mechner, was very highly praised at the time (1997) but has grown obscure over the years. It takes place on a train, the long-distance Orient Express from Paris to Istanbul, immediately prior to WW1. It also involves a murder mystery, but it's more a story of espionage and intrigue than a straight whodunit. Visually it's striking, with extensive rotoscoped animation like in the movie Waking Life. It also has a clock, in realtime, with NPCs acting independently of the player. The plot is somewhat dynamic depending on where you are at what times, who you talk to in what order, etc. It's more complex than branching paths, and the game can be quite different depending on your choices. The game's biggest flaw though is that it employs Myst-style, slide show movement. Sometimes you have to click through 20 screens to get where you're going next. If you can tolerate that, this game has a lot going for it, and was really ahead of its time in some ways.

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces.

Japanese Sonic CD FTW!!! Master of Shinobi Ecco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    Scooby Doo looks like a great game that I had never heard of! Looked up some footage and it looks like a vintage point and click adventure. Definitely going to try it out!
    Cool please let us know if u like it.

Myself I think the Genesis game is awesome and very accurate to the original cartoon series, which is what Iím a big fan of.

The game has genuinely funny conversations between the different characters, like the show.

I never solved the two games contained in the cart, and I also donít want to look up the answers because theyíre great games even though Iím always stuck in limbo in both games lol. The music is great too.

Thread Information