Quantcast

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do you guys like Eternal Champions CD?

Master of Shinobi

The big character change that stood out to me in ECCD (apart from Shadow's much more conservative costume) was the overhaul of Midknight's moveset. He was interesting in the cart version, and his moves looked pretty unique, but he was so, so, awkward. That jumping heavy kick that boosted him upwards and made it nearly useless... grrr! After the changes he was my favourite character in CD.
    Last edited by Silanda; 03-16-2021 at 10:00 AM.

Japanese Sonic CD FTW!!! Master of Shinobi Ecco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Silanda View Post
    Unless I'm misremembering things in my old age, in one respect it's certain, which is what I'm referring to. If the AI taunts you, you lose the ability to do special moves as your inner strength gauge is exhausted. If you taunt the AI, the gauge is exhausted but it carries on regardless. I'd call the AI ignoring one of the game's (almost) unique gameplay mechanics in a way the gives it the advantage, cheating. I can't remember if this is still true in ECCD, but I don't remember it bothering me there.

Outside of that it supposedly plays quite cleanly except it has impossibly fast reactions (one frame reactions apparently). To be fair to it, it's hard but I don't notice obivous cheating in the AI behaviour itself outside of the inner strength exploitation. It's nothing like the unfair dickery that is the arcade version of Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo (Chun Li just cancelling her spinning bird kick, WTF?).
    Cool, thanks for the info. Yes you're right about the IS thing in the first EC, and not on Sega CD (not sure the exact details of how it works on CD but the whole IS thing is a non-issue. I just haven't played for a really long time.).

But yeah otherwise Eternal Champions makes such an emphasis on its real-world fighting styles that I'd expect the gameplay to be fair in terms of characters' actions.

And I think it seems that way.

Whereas in SFII arcade, the AI will usually break its own rules of character actions, like I remember that AI Blanka would shoot forward but without first charging back, which is how the move is performed by a human player.

So I'm not sure exactly if I think that that's lame, or not.

But anyway EC also has so many tons of moves that its characters can probably just cycle through them all, effectively enough, without also cheating. That's what I'd expect, anyway.

Before there was a contender and ultimate winner
    (KI) this was an all time number one In my book....
    I still load up the first one every now and then to see
    One of the characters beat the hell
    Out of the SEGA LOGO....
    My fave from the Cart was the atlantean,
    and hands down Jetta for the challange of the Dark side game
    I also have the soundtrack blasting from ET CD in the car usually.
    It's a good game, and I will beat it.

Eventually ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

The game has a lot of content and variety in characters and moves, but I find the gameplay itself to be pretty awful. Any random arcade 2d fighter of the mid 90s beats it, imo.

I liked it, probably as much as the original on Genesis. Variety of characters and levels are fun, liked the moves too. Eternal Champions was a pretty unique game back in its day, along with the likes of Weaponlord if anyone remembers that cult classic. Xavier was my favorite in the original, but I used a variety of characters in EC CD because the lineup was so dang good in it (can't even pick a favorite).

Is it the best fighter on the Sega CD? I think it is, considering what it offers in comparison to the competition. It's much better than Blackhole Assault and Revengers of Vengence. Then there's the Sega CD ports of Brutal: Paws of Fury, Mortal Kombat, Samurai Shodown, and Fatal Fury Special. I personally find Samurai Shodown to be the winner in terms of gameplay, but in terms of the uniqueness Eternal Champions CD brought to the add-on, it's a more interesting experience than the Sega CD versions of the four games I previously mentioned (which don't offer much more than their genesis counterparts save for Brutal which was a great port). Eternal Champions is the more interesting Sega CD game, but titles like Samurai Shodown are more fun for me to play personally.

Xavier was also my favorite character in Eternal Champions. I owned the cart growing up and had EC CD afterwards, but found the soundtrack for the cart game to be a lot better, which made me prefer the cart. But really, its not like there is THAT much of a difference between Cart and CD of Eternal Champions. I always liked the character designs, stories and levels as looking much vetter than Street Fighter or Mortal Kombat, but the gameplay in both just wasn't as good as SF.

Eternal Champions had a lot of potential, slight execution changes I think would have made it a classic. But the flow just was not there. But back in the day I played this game nonstop!
    Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    The Sega Saturn was God's gift to humanity. This is inarguable fact!

Feedback Thread: http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...ack&highlight=

Agree about the cart having a much better soundtrack. The only cd tracks that stuck with me were Riptide's stage and the Senator's stage with its rock rendition of Hail to the Chief.

Master of Shinobi

I like both soundtracks, but I was a bit disappointed back in the day that ECCD didn't have an arranged version of the original game's title theme.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One

Early prototype version up for sale 250 if anyone's interested

266772592_10159343585600266_4879596039783035837_n.jpg
    Last edited by Nano Babe; 12-16-2021 at 07:47 PM.

Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by Nano Babe View Post
    Early prototype version up for sale 250 if anyone's interested

Attachment 16231

Attachment 16232
    Where? The attachments are broken.

early cartridge version containing one extra character from a former programmer that worked on the game both on undumped I believe

253447577_560290751932686_1834557655480742501_n.jpg

Master of Shinobi

Where is it up for sale? I didn't see it on ebay.
    Try contacting drx's site, the Hidden Palace, they might outright buy it.

VA1LT CHIP ENABLED Master of Shinobi OverDrone's Avatar

One thing that bugged me in Challenge from the dark side was it losing the big, meaty hit sound FX that the original had, which went a long way to giving the game some impact. CD's just sound very weak in comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by zyrobs View Post
    Where is it up for sale? I didn't see it on ebay.
    Try contacting drx's site, the Hidden Palace, they might outright buy it.
    Both of these are UK Based from myself as a private collector and the other is Tim who is very active on Facebook marketplace and Sega Fan Groups. speculatively unfortunately both of us don't have a lot of free time for heavy discussions on what we may or may not have that's why mainly we sell and NOT Thu eBay for $$$$$ Silly money giving all collectors a chance to a piece of something rare.

Thread Information