Quantcast

Thread: Made in Mexico / Made in Japan. The true story of Sega's Model 2 VA4

Nameless One

Opa-Opa Made in Mexico / Made in Japan. The true story of Sega's Model 2 VA4

If you flip a Majesco Model 3 Sega Genesis, you see a label indicating the system is Made in Mexico.
    If you flip a VA4 Model 2 Sega Genesis model MK-1451, you see a label indicating the system is Made in Japan. This label is white, without a laminated layer.

From what I read, Majesco redistributed Sega hardware, starting with the VA4, though not all VA4. I'm guessing only the MK-1451 systems were part of the first group of systems Majesco handled. Many VA4 have the traditional black label with laminated layer. Those black label systems are made in China or Japan.

However, those Majesco Model 3s show the factory as AG, made in Mexico. Those MK-1451 systems also state the factory is AG, but made in Japan. Why designate both the factories in Japan and Mexico as AG? Are MK-1451 truly manufactured in Japan? Was the AG factory in Mexico or Japan?
    I'm confused.

A Light In The Building. Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by yZoneFox View Post
    If you flip a Majesco Model 3 Sega Genesis, you see a label indicating the system is Made in Mexico.
    "Assembled in Mexico".

If you flip a VA4 Model 2 Sega Genesis model MK-1451, you see a label indicating the system is Made in Japan.
    "Product of Japan".

From what I read, Majesco redistributed Sega hardware, starting with the VA4, though not all VA4. I'm guessing only the MK-1451 systems were part of the first group of systems Majesco handled.
    Correct. The VA4 was introduced in 1996. Majesco announced their distribution deal in the first quarter of 1998.

However, those Majesco Model 3s show the factory as AG, made in Mexico. Those MK-1451 systems also state the factory is AG, but made in Japan. Why designate both the factories in Japan and Mexico as AG? Are MK-1451 truly manufactured in Japan? Was the AG factory in Mexico or Japan?
    I'm confused.
    'AG' was their final assembly location in Mexico. The completed circuits were made in Japan and Korea.

Nameless One

Quote Originally Posted by chessage View Post
    'AG' was their final assembly location in Mexico. The completed circuits were made in Japan and Korea.
    Korea? I wasn't aware that anything outside the Aladdin originated from Korea. I thought all western-bound and Japan-bound were made in Japan, China, Indonesia, Malaysia, Taiwan, or Thailand.

A Light In The Building. Master of Shinobi

^The '97-'98 Asian financial crisis was likely a factor. Korean currency was weak at the time.

Thread Information