Quantcast

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Most Accurate PS1 Emulator in 2021

Default Most Accurate PS1 Emulator in 2021

What is the most accurate PS1 emulator these days compared to the original hardware? I'm not talking about widescreen mods and upscaling, I'm talking original resolution, textures, sound etc.

A LONG time ago, I used ePSXe and it was 100% as far as I was concerned back then. Is ePSXe still the best?

The Future is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingESWAT Veteran Leynos's Avatar

A PS3.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

[PSN] Segata-S //[Switch] FC-SW 3892 5228 2895 //[XBL]Dogi99

I meant on PC lol.

Stuck in the Past Shining Hero The Jackal's Avatar

Mednafen. That goes for Saturn as well.

Any particular reason?

Stuck in the Past Shining Hero The Jackal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blades View Post
    Any particular reason?
    It being open source has the allowed emulator to jump in quality the last few years. I can't talk technical info, but it really is the most accurate PS1 emu atm from what I've heard from others (Youtubers mainly) and played (comparing it to epsxe).

Master of Shinobi

I recall Xebra being the most accurate but I don't know if that still holds up.

Quote Originally Posted by The Jackal View Post
    It being open source has the allowed emulator to jump in quality the last few years.
    No, that had nothing to do with it. Yabause was open source for a decade and fuck-all advancements were made in Saturn emulation, beyond the mame guys writing a decent SCSP core (partially due to the Dreamcast AICA being nearly the same thing).

What happened is that the mednafen guy sat down and wrote a good Saturn core from scratch. It could be closed source and it would still be just as accurate.

Master of Shinobi

I agree, Mednafen's Saturn progress appears to have been the work of one developer. Stand-alone Mednafen's not exactly open source in the way a lot of emulators are anyway. Yes, the source for the released versions is available, but only the released versions. The current development source isn't open for anyone to contribute to.

The source of the libretro ports is completely open, which has led to the PS1 core developing in positive ways, but AFAIK that's based on older version of the stand-alone and has now diverged to the extent that it's become its own thing. The Saturn libretro core's just been left way behind the stand-alone emulator though, with no meaningful development outside of code cleanups in nearly two years.

I'm not sure whether Mednafen or Xebra is more accurate. I do know that Mednafen has some long standing showstopper bugs in a few games, some of which can be worked around with the libretro version. Xebra's not terribly pleasant to use though.

Thanks everyone.

Why'd they make it so hard to start? I shouldn't have to go to a command prompt to start an emulator in 2021. I've been trying and can't get it to even start in Windows 10.

Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by Melf View Post
    Why'd they make it so hard to start? I shouldn't have to go to a command prompt to start an emulator in 2021. I've been trying and can't get it to even start in Windows 10.
    Mednafen? Use a frontend. I use mednaffe personally: https://github.com/AmatCoder/mednaffe

That would work. Thanks!

Just tried Mednafen. It even has the interlacing artifacts and dithering, it's perfect!

It's been a while since I've tried PS1 on Mednafen, but I know it did get some things wrong with Grandia in my testing. The big one that jumped out at me was the Animation for the Game Arts logo. It gets it right on the Saturn version, but it's not correct at all on PS1. The PS1 version running in Mednafen looks like what you get out of Yabause or it's forks for the Saturn version. Though it's just the Game Arts logo so it's not major I guess.

Also while it's Saturn emulation is nice, it's not quite accurate. It runs too fast and it also completely fudges VDP2. Though the latter is true for all Saturn emulators.

Does any PS1 emulator properly display the logo?

Thread Information