Quantcast

Thread: Herzog Zwei: deleted/unused items figured out

Default Herzog Zwei: deleted/unused items figured out

At TCRF, they briefly mention some unused unit names in the game, but don't have any info (look under "Unused Unit Name"): https://tcrf.net/Herzog_Zwei

Did some checking and figured out what they are, as well as some other unused stuff. The "NOT USE" units they mention are turrets (two different kinds). Made a Game Genie code to get access to everything:

Herzog Zwei (Genesis/MD) Game Genie

BK4A-AA2C
    Access all hidden/deleted units in the game (in the menu when you press C). Keep pressing right to see all the hidden/deleted items, press left to see only the normal units. There are two deleted units called "NOT USE" that are actually turrets. You can build and deploy them. There is a unit called KIDOU that you can build and deploy, but not sure what it does. Some of the units will show garbled pictures and text (haven't experimented with those yet).

TCRF also mentions some unused commands: https://tcrf.net/Herzog_Zwei

This gives you access to all of them:

Herzog Zwei (Genesis/MD) Game Genie

BK4A-AA64
    Access all hidden/unused commands in the game (in the menu when you press C). Keep pressing right to see all the hidden/deleted commands, press left to see only the normal commands. All of the commands seem to work, but I'm not familiar enough with the game to know what the differences are.

Found out that even though the deleted gun turrets could be deployed using the code above, they don't do anything when you drop them off. All of the stats for them are set to zero, and they didn't have any programing for how to attack enemies. Started making Game Genie codes to fix this, but was going to take waaaay too many codes. Made an editor instead...

https://www.sega-16.com/forum/showth...l=1#post876218

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Tony H again."

Wow, this is getting incredibly amazing. I'll definitely have to check this out, see how that'll change the experience (could be gun turret might make base defense a bit too easy? Will have to check to make sure. )
    The funny thing about an oxymoron is, even if you remove the ox, there'll always be a moron. The Question Remains: Y?

Quote Originally Posted by Phantar View Post
    "You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Tony H again."

Wow, this is getting incredibly amazing. I'll definitely have to check this out, see how that'll change the experience (could be gun turret might make base defense a bit too easy? Will have to check to make sure. )
    The stats are completely adjustable, and the editor remembers your previous settings, so that makes it easier to make adjustments. With that being said, yes, the turrets could make your base defense too easy depending on your settings.

I've added max limits on all of the stats using the other units (mostly the GMR-34A/Cannon) as a guide to try and help keep the game somewhat balanced. I'm not really familiar with the game, so some of the max limits might need to be adjusted. Also, I'm not sure if the CPU opponent can use the new turrets or not. My guess is that it won't use them. I may do some digging and see how the CPU decides what to use, and if it doesn't use them, I may add an option to enable that.

I added an invincibility option for the turrets that isn't something that is probably normally available, but thought it would be useful for people that just want to kick ass in the game. The invincibly option is automatically set to off every time you run the editor, so that forces the person to manually turn it on each time if they want to use it.

The "Weapon power" stat (which affects both ammo and missile power) is the one stat where I went above what the other units use for the max amount.

If anyone has any suggestions for the editor, let me know.

Have updated the editor to include preset buttons that will display the stats from some of the other units in the game. I thought this would help a lot when trying to figure out what values to use for a balanced game. All of the stats for the unused turrets were zero in the final release, so there's no way to know what values the developers would have used. The presets will get you in the ballpark, although you can still adjust them if you'd like.

https://www.sega-16.com/forum/showth...l=1#post876297

Raging in the Streets xelement5x's Avatar

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Tony H again.

AWESOME!
    Quote Originally Posted by StarMist View Post
    A spine card is the hymen of a new game assuring its first owner that he is truly her one and only, and of a used game assuring its new owner that whilst she has been played with in the past that play has never been too careless or thorough.

I love Herzog and this is very cool to read. I never felt there wasn't enough variety in units but of course more would have always been welcome.

Gave some rep for this!
    Sega Dude

Visit my Instagram @RetroMegabit or RetroMegabit.com

♥Konomi Yuzuhara♥ Outrunner Tasuke's Avatar

HZ is one of my top favorites since childhood!! i'm gonna have to check this out as soon as i can, Thank You!!!
    Konomi Yuzuhara

Ah Herzog Zwei, one of my prized treasures. I've begun to play it with my son. He gets frustrated when his base is destroyed. I'm going to show him more tactics, the next time we play, and have him knock me out.
    Last edited by Iced Snowman; 06-09-2021 at 05:57 PM.

Thread Information