Quantcast

Thread: Mega Drive 1 (HAA-2510)

Genesis Mega Drive 1 (HAA-2510)

My Japanese Mega Drive isn't powering on anymore. Tried buying a new plug that isn't the issue. Board looks alright, no capacitors leaking or anything. Ordered a soldering iron today, might try heating the solder points where you plug the machine in, which seems to be a common issue.

One thing though I've a metal part loose at the bottom wondering is it important I stick that back on somewhere?

IMG_20210314_163106 - Copy (2).jpg

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert majinga's Avatar

Check the continuity from the power plug to the voltage regulators.
    If the continuity is ok, check the voltage in and out from the voltage regulators.

The metal thing goes on the back, there is a seat in the plastic for it. There is a little hole in the back, it goes here. I think it's for holding expansions that goes on the back. Like the modem, perhaps.

Master of Shinobi

The small metal bracket is to reinforce the hole in the back where you can attach the Modem. Incidentally it's also a great spot for a region switch, although it becomes more difficult to store the console if you have a switch poking out of its ass, so I wouldn't recommend it unless you are really worried about not cutting up the console.

Good to know. I've got a few Japanese games but I mostly use the Everdrive so installing a region switch isn't a big priority.

I'm a building services engineer but I know approximately nothing about electronics. Might borrow a multimeter perhaps makes more sense than randomly heating solder, again something I know nothing about.

I have seen a few cases of the joints needing to be reflowed with a soldering iron from too much wear, specifically controller port 1, makes sense this is also possible with the power input. Does the red light not turn on when you plug it in?

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert majinga's Avatar

This can be verified by moving the jack in the connector. A bad solder joint will produce an intermittent power.

Thread Information