Quantcast

Thread: Road Rash 2 bike editor

Default Road Rash 2 Bike Editor

Made a program that lets you choose from 3 different levels of performance, and will patch around 36 bytes into the ROM. The program modifies the performance for Wild Thing 2000 (the best bike in the game) and makes it even better. It will give you faster acceleration, higher top speed, better handling, more nitro boosts, etc. It checks to make sure you have the correct ROM and correct version (there are 2 versions of the game) before it will proceed. It also patches the ROM so it bypasses the checksum routine so the game will run with the changed bytes, and makes it so that you start a new game with Wild Thing 2000. If you don't like your performance choice, just run the program again and try a different one.

RR2BikeEditorV2-small.png

RoadRash2BikeEditorV2a.zip
    Last edited by Tony H; 08-19-2020 at 11:50 AM.

Great job dude, looks like you've put plenty of effort into the program you made. What was the thinking behind it though? I don't think its a bad idea, but the Wild Thing doesn't exactly need a performance boost.

wow this one going to be fun, thank you!

Visit my youtube channel Pyron's Lair
    Take here all my hacks made with love for all of us here
    Want to help me? Here is my Patreon!

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Moham View Post
    Great job dude, looks like you've put plenty of effort into the program you made. What was the thinking behind it though? I don't think its a bad idea, but the Wild Thing doesn't exactly need a performance boost.
    I just learned how to program, and always wanted to do a Road Rash 2 editor to add some new life into one of my favorite games on the Genesis. The traction is greatly improved which makes for a bit of a learning curve, but once you've played with it for awhile, I think it will make for better track times. I have never been able to beat the game before, so will give it a try now.

I originally started upgrading the starting bike (Shuriken 400), but Wild Thing 2000 was better in almost every aspect, so decided to use WT 2000 as my base bike. EDIT: Also, wasn't sure if the CPU riders used the Shuriken 400 bike and didn't want them having the same advantage. lol.

All of this can be done with Game Genie codes, but each bike would require a ton of codes and a program like this makes it much easier. To do it properly, each bike would require a separate code for each of the 6 gears for acceleration, separate codes for each of the 6 gears for top speed in each gear, up to 6 separate codes for handling, etc. Way too many codes to enter. Once I learn how, I may make an improved program that lets you input a specific value of your choice for all of those variables for acceleration, top speed, handling, etc.

If anyone has some suggestions, I would be happy to hear them. I'm brand new at programming, so somewhat limited at what I can do. I may also make a similar program for Road Rash 1.

Quote Originally Posted by Pyron View Post
    wow this one going to be fun, thank you!
    You're welcome. Had a lot of fun doing it.
    Last edited by Tony H; 08-19-2020 at 03:42 PM.

Made some improvements and fixed a bug. It's on my site now, so will just link to that instead of uploading the file here...

https://codehut.gshi.org/RoadRash2BikeEditorV2c.zip

EDIT: Made another minor fix (made it so that the program window can't be resized).
    Last edited by Tony H; 09-12-2020 at 09:36 PM.

Cool, keep at it dude. Its a decent first program. A similar tool for the original Road Rash would be awesome too. What language is your tool written in? C++ I'm guessing?

Hero of Algol

Looks like a C# windows application to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Barone View Post
    Looks like a C# windows application to me.
    Yes, C# with Visual Studio

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Moham View Post
    Cool, keep at it dude. Its a decent first program. A similar tool for the original Road Rash would be awesome too. What language is your tool written in? C++ I'm guessing?
    Thanks. It's C# together with Visual Studio 2019. I'm working on the bike editor for Road Rash 1. Should have it done shortly. I've got it kind of working, and really enjoying the result. The bike is a lot of fun. Already on level 3.

EDIT: Interesting (but boring) little side note on Road Rash 1: Most of the handling data for the starting bike (Shuriken 400) is also shared with Diablo 1000 (most expensive bike in the game). All the other bikes use their own data.
    Last edited by Tony H; 08-22-2020 at 07:36 PM.

Did a complete overhaul on the old Road Rash 2 bike editor. You can now edit every setting for the starting bike (Shuriken 400), including acceleration, top speed, 4 different handling settings, how many nitro boosts you have, what level you start on (including the secret level 6 where you race against all the cops), some options to modify the tracks specifically for testing your bike, a few buttons that show settings for other bikes in the game so you can get an idea on how to adjust your settings, and the editor will remember your previous settings, which makes it easy to make adjustments if you're not happy with your new settings.

Can get it from my site (The Code Hut), at GameHacking dot org, or on RHDN: http://www.romhacking.net/utilities/1545/

Thread Information