Quantcast

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Do you guys like Batman Returns?

Quote Originally Posted by Silanda View Post
    Yeah, it can go higher as long as the thing's being scaled or rotated aren't taking up too many unique tiles. Games used tricks like vertical and horizontal flipping to avoid drawing too many.

I wonder if that's why Night Striker is so low res. It looks like everything that's scaled is drawn to background plane A at half vertical resolution, and I assume a h-int technique is used to double the height, therefore requiring half the tiles. The road's drawn to plane B and appears to be a linescroll effect rather than a scaled road like the one in Batman Returns. That might explain why Night Striker is rather smooth despite quite a lot of action going on.
    I remember Jon saying he was very proud of the wall drawing system he used in Battlecorps and I think he also said the floor was just one massive sprite and he did various other tricks. It's such a shame about Night Striker as if you get past the blocky graphics its a super close port and really makes great use of the Hardware. I really liked the 3D sections to Ninja's kick back too. Such a shame SEGA didn't make more use of the ASIC chip
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

PimpTaxi is real 2401 Master of Shinobi PimpUigi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mega Drive Bowlsey View Post
    It's an exceptional game with an excellent soundtrack. I'm completely crap at the driving sections, but I hugely admire how they look and play for something that came out back in '93. This game, along with Sunsoft's Batman for the Mega Drive and Konami's excellent Batman Returns for the SNES, are my favourite Batman games and I'm proud to have them all in my collection. Oh and Michael Keaton was the best Batman ever and Tim Burton made the best two Batman films ever. Just wanted to get that in. 驪
    This.

Batman Returns is my favorite 16-bit Super Hero game. Remember that games back then were designed to be difficult and challenging.
    The platform levels are really not as hard as they seem once you learn a few tricks to get through them. It's a shame I can't teach people how to play this one, but basically you get to use your Wonderful Toys fairly liberally and you can kick ass + take names the whole way through the game. Since I know how to go about them, I find them to be very entertaining and enjoyable. Especially with the kick ass gothic soundtrack.

To people arguing about the number of driving levels, there are not just 4 driving levels. You have to set the game mode to Driving Only and it unlocks the final driving level. A longplay of the game won't be showing you this final driving level, so just keep that in mind.
    I can beat this game every try, sometimes without even getting a game over.
    But it was designed to really push your skills as a player, and it helps you level up indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Venture View Post
    It's not "I like big boobies, where's a pic of Jennifer Love Hewitt!" it's "I like big boobies, and this Sonic character has them. Score!!"

Master of Shinobi Mega Drive Bowlsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PimpUigi View Post
    This.

Batman Returns is my favorite 16-bit Super Hero game. Remember that games back then were designed to be difficult and challenging.
    The platform levels are really not as hard as they seem once you learn a few tricks to get through them. It's a shame I can't teach people how to play this one, but basically you get to use your Wonderful Toys fairly liberally and you can kick ass + take names the whole way through the game. Since I know how to go about them, I find them to be very entertaining and enjoyable. Especially with the kick ass gothic soundtrack.

To people arguing about the number of driving levels, there are not just 4 driving levels. You have to set the game mode to Driving Only and it unlocks the final driving level. A longplay of the game won't be showing you this final driving level, so just keep that in mind.
    I can beat this game every try, sometimes without even getting a game over.
    But it was designed to really push your skills as a player, and it helps you level up indeed.
    You can beat this game every time you play it? You have serious skill, my friend. This is one tough game!

Thread Information