Quantcast

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you guys like Batman Returns?

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert RvR's Avatar

Default Do you guys like Batman Returns?

Another game I recently came across where sometimes it feels awesome, sometimes its frustrating and feels kinda clunky. I thought I'd get youzez opinions on it.
    Last edited by RvR; 03-18-2021 at 01:18 AM.

I think its the best 16-bit racer ever made and a true showcase for the Mega CD in that it made use of all the extra hardware. I just love how it feels and plays like a classic SEGA arcade scaler game, also love those huge explosions and seeing bits of car pieces sent flying up in the air. Really nice art direction too, I partially love those snowy tree's in stage 2 all with utterly fab music
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

One of the best games within the Sega-CD-library really, original or otherwise.
    The funny thing about an oxymoron is, even if you remove the ox, there'll always be a moron. The Question Remains: Y?

Japanese Sonic CD FTW!!! Master of Shinobi Ecco's Avatar

I love it. Though I can't get far, it does keep the gameplay challenging and intense.

Awesome graphics and music.

And the music test is nice for just enjoying the soundtrack, with a nice rotating Batman symbol, to show off the Sega CD rotation abilities, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Ecco View Post
    I love it. Though I can't get far, it does keep the gameplay challenging and intense.

Awesome graphics and music.

And the music test is nice for just enjoying the soundtrack, with a nice rotating Batman symbol, to show off the Sega CD rotation abilities, lol.
    Yep, a true showcase for the system. I used the play the Batman music and Jaguar XJ 220 music on my CD player.
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Master of Shinobi Mega Drive Bowlsey's Avatar

It's an exceptional game with an excellent soundtrack. I'm completely crap at the driving sections, but I hugely admire how they look and play for something that came out back in '93. This game, along with Sunsoft's Batman for the Mega Drive and Konami's excellent Batman Returns for the SNES, are my favourite Batman games and I'm proud to have them all in my collection. Oh and Michael Keaton was the best Batman ever and Tim Burton made the best two Batman films ever. Just wanted to get that in. 🦇👍

Wildside Expert

Love it definitely one of the better (and common) Mega CD games, it does leave a taste of 'what if'. Sega really should have had some super scalers ported to the Mega CD. This and Soul Star proves it could have delivered good conversions (which makes me wonder why After Burner 3 is so far away from it's arcade parent Strike Fighter, it should have been much closer).

Quote Originally Posted by Sut View Post
    Love it definitely one of the better (and common) Mega CD games, it does leave a taste of 'what if'. Sega really should have had some super scalers ported to the Mega CD. This and Soul Star proves it could have delivered good conversions (which makes me wonder why After Burner 3 is so far away from it's arcade parent Strike Fighter, it should have been much closer).
    Spot on, Also the 3D sections to Cliffhanger also show what the Hardware could do. Shame when you think how much better the Mega CD would have been with ports of Space Harrier, OutRun, AB II, GF II using the ASIC chip and featuring Arcade perfect music and arcade quality sound effects

We can all thank CRI for the horrible AB III sadly
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Six Button Shooter Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert Cafeman's Avatar

You don't really think you'll win, do you?

Batman Returns CD is one of my top 5 SEGA CD games. When I got to play this at Video Game Exchange in '92, it blew my mind and I soon afterwards bought the system. Of course the driving levels are a fantastic showcase for the Sega CD hardware, but they also a lot of fun to play, and we were given a lot of content. Thankfully you can level-skip if you want, to more easily experience the later sewer levels. The music and sound FX are top notch, so is the nice animation of vehicles and flames and explosions, there is such a good display of attention to detail. My tip if you think you suck at the driving levels: slow down on the curves. The enemy vehicles match your speed, and you'll be able to destroy them or ram them much more easily than if you are skidding on the curve. on the 2nd Winter stage through the forest, if you time it right, you can ram every single enemy off the road for a quick take down. This is so satisfying.

There are some who malign the platform game, but I enjoy it as well. Then only thing I miss from the cart is the little music piece when the batmobile shows up for each level; I wish they'd kept that in there for the CD version and then started the CD tunes afterwards. The game is hard and unfair but that's how platformers were back then - watch a YT play through to get any tips, you may be making things harder on yourself by not understanding which weapon to use and when. I can get to the final boss almost every time I play it. But if I've used up the weapons in my belt, I can't beat the final Penguin / electricity machine part.

Here is one Gameplay and Talk YT video where Austin goes through the FULL gameplay mode, platform + driving stages mixed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMSwryKWY1E
    Last edited by Cafeman; 03-18-2021 at 05:24 PM.

The driving sections are clearly pretty awesome. The could have just released that as a game and it would still have been good. The platforming, my impression so far has been lots of leaps of faith often with hazards greeting you and the first boss fight vs Catwoman felt like something from an 8-bit game lol Something about fighting the common enemies also feels strange, Im not sure what it is exactly. Its as if the attack ranges are different than what I expect. Im sure I will adapt in time but definitely feels a bit awkward right now.

The Gaming Gangsta Master of Shinobi profholt82's Avatar

Well, the platforming stages are similar to the Genesis game which is mired in mediocrity. The driving stages are freaking awesome though, and totally make up for it. Hard as eff though, but still so much fun and the graphics are top notch. In this sense, the game reminds me of Cliffhanger which follows the same template. Port of the mediocre platforming stages of the Genesis, but with the addition of SCD exclusive 3rd person view snowboarding stages, just like the 3rd person view driving stages of Batman Returns. I like when the SCD games get more than just better music and some cutscenes in the jump from Genesis.

I'll comment on the SNES game just for the heck of it. Batman Returns was done by Konami on that console, and it's a beat em up. Somewhat repetitive, but that's the genre. Great atmosphere in that one, and it follows the movie fairly well. I like watching that movie near Christmas and playing through both the SCD and SNES games. The Genesis game can suck it though.

Quote Originally Posted by profholt82 View Post
    Well, the platforming stages are similar to the Genesis game which is mired in mediocrity. The driving stages are freaking awesome though, and totally make up for it. Hard as eff though, but still so much fun and the graphics are top notch..
    Its a shame that so many reviews (other than Megatech) focused more on the platform bits rather then the driving sections and didn't look on the platform sections as little more than added bonus. The 3D driving parts were a game in their own right. I almost sure that lead to SEGA not including the Platform sections in Adv Of Batman & Robin for the Mega CD which is a crying shame
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher

Quote Originally Posted by Team Andromeda View Post
    Its a shame that so many reviews (other than Megatech) focused more on the platform bits rather then the driving sections and didn't look on the platform sections as little more than added bonus. The 3D driving parts were a game in their own right. I almost sure that lead to SEGA not including the Platform sections in Adv Of Batman & Robin for the Mega CD which is a crying shame
    How are the platform sections an added bonus?? There's only 4 driving sections haha. I think you got that backwards.

Quote Originally Posted by turboxray View Post
    How are the platform sections an added bonus?? There's only 4 driving sections haha. I think you got that backwards.
    I think you never played the game 'haha'. The driving sections alone, are made up of 5 separate area's each with 6 different stages. Far bigger than what most driving games would offer at the time
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Now that I think about it that probably is why the cartoon game is like that lol

Thread Information