Quantcast

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: eBay Prices 2006 vs 2021 - Had a laugh at this!

I feel like I've noticed a drop in the prices of super expensive Japanese Mega Drive games over the last few years.

Eliminate Down use to often list for $2,000 USD on ebay. Now $1,300 is more the norm. It's still an unrealistic price but it's down a lot.

How long must an online store sit on inventory at these prices?

Does anyone here think people are still buying $1,000+ USD Japanese Mega Drive games? I'd be surprised if anyone is.

I love the Japanese Mega Drive and I have spent about $200 USD on some games... but it doesn't happen often.
    Sega Dude

Visit my Instagram @RetroMegabit or RetroMegabit.com

Sports Talker

Quote Originally Posted by DarkKobold View Post
    This. People LOVE to blame sellers, but at the end of the day, it's the buyers who make the determination on whether or not they are willing to pay the price. Things like this are rare, but copies will build up if the market won't bear the prices.

If a game sells for $1000, there is no incentive for sellers to lower their prices, unless, of course it doesn't sell. Then someone lists the price for below another seller's price, and then someone else comes along and lowers the price further. Original seller sees his game isn't selling, and then sets it to the new low.
    See, the thing here is that both statements are true, in my opinion - you can blame both buyers and sellers...

When I list something on eBay, if I am unsure of it's value or just fancy taking a chance, I list it as an auction. In my opinion, I am then letting the market (buyers) determine the value. Sometimes I win, sometimes I lose, but this is buyers pushing the price up.

Where I think you can take aim at sellers is the ridiculous Buy it Now prices that people have come up with over the years. Take a relatively rare game like Tatsujin Ou on the FM Towns. Currently the lowest price for a complete game is one in the US at 650, while another is 1,050 in Spain! There is a CD only going for 430 in the US, and just the CD case and manual (no game) for 110 again in Spain. Compare those prices for the last two complete games that sold at auction, both in the US - one ended for 450, and the other a few days ago at 370.

So, in my personal opinion, it's the Buy it Now and greedy sellers who are most at fault. If a few crazy buyers get involved in a bidding war and push the price of something up more than would be expected, that is nothing to do with the seller who has listed it at a reasonable start price.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher Virtua Hunter's Avatar

"Buy it now" really inflate prices, but also the ebay "suggested price" is another option to blame.

When you create auction, ebay suggest you the price by looking at similar items.
    While this option could be useful in theory, in reality it only create a dangerous circle where the inflated prices never disappear and become the new norm.

Buyers are also to blame because they are just like kids and don't want to lose or give up on a item, to the point that many auctions ends with a price even higher than a "buy it now" listing.

So how do you fight the system?
    Simple, don't fight over auctions!

If you see that an auction has already 5-10 offers and 5 days to go, it's clear that it will not ends well, just give up and return another time, it will be worth it, because that auction will ends up at a lower price point, and that could help lower the ebay suggested price for future auctions.

If all people do this like I do, probably we would return to have price similar to 2006.
    Last edited by Virtua Hunter; 04-27-2021 at 06:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Virtua Hunter View Post
    If you see that an auction has already 5-10 offers and 5 days to go, it's clear that it will not ends well, just give up and return another time, it will be worth it, because that auction will ends up at a lower price point, and that could help lower the ebay suggested price for future auctions.

If all people do this like I do, probably we would return to have price similar to 2006.
    For such an auction, if the current top bid is well under my max, I use a bid sniper to bid my max with 3 seconds to end. I win about 90% of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Gentlegamer View Post
    For such an auction, if the current top bid is well under my max, I use a bid sniper to bid my max with 3 seconds to end. I win about 90% of the time.
    Unfortunately it doesn't work for me most of the time.

Even when an auction seems "calm" all the week, there are always 2 or 3 offers that happens in the last 10 seconds (sometimes even last 3 secons like you said).
    And the max bid they use is always based on the inflated "buy it now" prices on other listing, that's the problem.

So most people aren't using auctions to make good deals and pay less, and at that point you can just save time and stress and just go for a "buy it now" since they want to pay the same.

Quote Originally Posted by cawley1 View Post
    See, the thing here is that both statements are true, in my opinion - you can blame both buyers and sellers...

When I list something on eBay, if I am unsure of it's value or just fancy taking a chance, I list it as an auction. In my opinion, I am then letting the market (buyers) determine the value. Sometimes I win, sometimes I lose, but this is buyers pushing the price up.

Where I think you can take aim at sellers is the ridiculous Buy it Now prices that people have come up with over the years. Take a relatively rare game like Tatsujin Ou on the FM Towns. Currently the lowest price for a complete game is one in the US at 650, while another is 1,050 in Spain! There is a CD only going for 430 in the US, and just the CD case and manual (no game) for 110 again in Spain. Compare those prices for the last two complete games that sold at auction, both in the US - one ended for 450, and the other a few days ago at 370.

So, in my personal opinion, it's the Buy it Now and greedy sellers who are most at fault. If a few crazy buyers get involved in a bidding war and push the price of something up more than would be expected, that is nothing to do with the seller who has listed it at a reasonable start price.
    See, to me this is still a buyer's issue. If you have a product that you list for an obscene price because there are less than 25 available at any given time (Which seems to be the case with a lot more retro games than we think), there is always the ability to negotiate. I find that people are much more willing to spend the BIN prices because they want to buy things impulsively and get them as fast as they can, and on top of that are afraid they won't be able to buy it later.

Clearly to me this is still a demand outranking supply issue because these games are not being manufactured, and individuals simply aren't listing their used copies for sale quite as frequently. What are the incentives for someone to sell even moderately rare games like Outrun 2006: Coast 2 Coast, Marvel Vs Capcom 2, and other games that are so tied up with licensing issues that they will likely never see the light of day in a re-release again? There is next to none. For extremely rare and collectible games I argue the phenomenon is even worse, as people see it come up once every few years (or never) and simply wish to have it, so it gets bid up.

But then you have games that are easily available both digitally and physically, like Castlevania Symphony of the Night on PS1 going for hundreds of dollars right now online, when it can be bought in various different rereleases for $10. Go figure.
    Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    The Sega Saturn was God's gift to humanity. This is inarguable fact!

Feedback Thread: http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...ack&highlight=

Quote Originally Posted by Virtua Hunter View Post
    Unfortunately it doesn't work for me most of the time.

Even when an auction seems "calm" all the week, there are always 2 or 3 offers that happens in the last 10 seconds (sometimes even last 3 secons like you said).
    And the max bid they use is always based on the inflated "buy it now" prices on other listing, that's the problem.

So most people aren't using auctions to make good deals and pay less, and at that point you can just save time and stress and just go for a "buy it now" since they want to pay the same.

The path to lower prices is everyone bidding their max at the very end and not trying to beat the number on the screen, thereby bidding it up and up.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingSports Talker

I took a break from collecting for a year or two and am pretty surprised at the ebay prices I've seen recently. Thank god I already have a good majority of the Genesis stuff I want. Some of them I really don't understand; a Bimini Run complete is now going for $60-$100 for "buy it now". I've never really considered it to be that rare or in high demand. I could've sworn it was a $30-$40 complete game a couple years ago. I don't think any youtubers are making videos about Bimini Run being a hidden gem lol.

And yeah, the auction prices have gone up significantly. Auctions used to be the way to get things for cheaper prices but now seems like they're more expensive than the "buy it now". I saw a sealed Shaq-Fu sell for $455 dollars recently, despite one being "buy it now" at only $75 (both with rap CD). I used to see sealed Shaq Fu's left and right on ebay. It's really weird.

This is what I got Shinobi III for back in 2011 (10 years ago) now cart only, $25 is the least you will pay.

Sadly my collecting/buy old games days are over, I now just emulate mostly. I have a genesis with games and such still as well but yea.

Toejam is a wiener. Master of Shinobi SEGA-Jorge's Avatar

The retro gaming scene is really popular, and has been for a good while now. So much of the people that grew up with these systems also occasionally have disposable income, or they made these consoles their hobby, so we are going to see prices staying around this for some time. I'm actually really happy there are emulation and compilation options for people that want to get into the hobby. In fact, whenever I meet people that are interested in getting into retro gaming, I almost always recommend they emulate or at the most, get real hardware and an Everdrive. There's really no justification for these crazy prices, and with new money coming in from other collecting hobbies, (lots of comics/base ball cards/toy collectors are getting into the hobby) it will make these games even harder to acquire.

SEGA-Jorge

High quality flash carts/ODEs are ubiquitous, and mostly affordable these days. I've always preferred playing on original hardware, but I have flash carts for virtually every console I own. I effectively never play original software anymore. It's less convenient, and in the case of early disc systems, much less reliable. My original software has been relegated to shelf candy. I find myself acquiring far fewer original games now that I no longer need them to play on original hardware.

Emulation has also come a long way. The limiting factor for most platform cores isn't the emulation quality itself, but the display technology. Retroarch supports CRT monitor output, but most people aren't willing to invest the time/effort/cost/space into setting it up.

As flash carts become cheaper, I suspect prices for original software will, if not decrease, stagnate. As others have mentioned, we've begun to see that already.

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gentlegamer View Post
    The path to lower prices is everyone bidding their max at the very end and not trying to beat the number on the screen, thereby bidding it up and up.
    Blame Ebay for that. They allowed users to put in a max bot bid, years ago. I remember trying to get a copy of Turrican for the C64 last year. Every time I'd upped the bid on the game, some dude with a bot bid would instantly raise the bid, so I tried waiting until the final seconds to put in a final bid. And that didn't work, because mister bot bid was still able to one-up me.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    Blame Ebay for that. They allowed users to put in a max bot bid, years ago. I remember trying to get a copy of Turrican for the C64 last year. Every time I'd upped the bid on the game, some dude with a bot bid would instantly raise the bid, so I tried waiting until the final seconds to put in a final bid. And that didn't work, because mister bot bid was still able to one-up me.
    To my knowledge, that is how max bids before auction closing has always worked. Ebay will auto bid up to be on top until that person's max has been reached. What you were doing is bidding against the number on the screen instead of bidding your actual max. If you put in your max at the end and still get beat it's because someone's max was higher. Everyone should only bid their max at the last second and let the highest bid win. This generally leads to lower final prices but can be thrown off by people over bidding their max.

Lately this doesn't work, as people become more and more desperate for retrogaming they'll just bid ludicrous amount at the end, knowing that this way they win.

Let's make an example, there is an auction at $70-80, and people start to fight at the end so it will end around $100 (already pricey)
    Among everyone there will be always someone who throw a max bid of $200, the double of what the auction is expected to end, knowing that the final price would never be 200 but more around 120-150, and a guaranteed way to win.

This is also another reason why prices are rising on monthly basis.

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

Having what is pretty much an invisible reserve, can do nothing but drive up prices. I would have overpaid (on the right day) just to give a big middle finger to the asshole that pretty much took away any real bidding.
    Last edited by gamevet; 05-04-2021 at 10:15 AM.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Thread Information