Quantcast

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: eBay Prices 2006 vs 2021 - Had a laugh at this!

AKA Mister Xiado Master of Shinobi Raijin Z's Avatar

Sniping is the only way to play auction sites, except for places like GunBroker, ironically, which increases auction durations when there are bids during the final moments. The logic is, you know your limit, and won't engage in re-evaluating your position like a sucker. If you don't win, then you forced someone else to pay more. If you win, then you probably never had to pay the max you felt comfortable in paying. The only downside is this only works when you're free to post a bid. So, sleeping, working, and driving can make you miss auctions unless you have some 3rd party assistance bidding in proxy for you. Which is something I will never do.
    - Where it's always 1995 (or so).

Right, never allow a 3rd party.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training

2 years ago I bought a model 1 Mega Drive with 2 controllers and official rf and power supply for 20 at a franchised second hand shop, and on Ebay I got a Super Famicom with 2 controllers for 20 delivered, sure I had to retrobrite them but what a bargain, does have jailbars too but prices have gone up.

I even remember newer consoles like the PS3 going for 30 or 40 with a control pad 2 years ago but now about double that.

A few games around early to mid 00's that weren't that common (not necessarily rare) from say the PS1 I may of got 40-80 for, now they go for 150-200, I do remember back then when I sold one for 70 when the going rate was 70-90 and getting lowballers saying "its a old game therefore I offer 20 inc postage for it" and check on their username/email addresses and they had online presences like on Ebay where they would sell the same game for the higher end of its value i.e I asked for 70 they would want 90 or even 100 for one in worse condition.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert Spendle's Avatar

For those of us that like to stare in disbelief at eBay prices please have a look at this UK seller's offerings:

https://ebay.co.uk/usr/espdome

I'm not sure where to start but here's a snapshot:

Aero the Acro-bat 270 NOT the second one
    Earthworm Jim 2 150
    Animaniacs 120
    Micro Machines Military 150

These are BIN or Best Offer so will sell for less if they do sell, but still!
    Last edited by Spendle; 01-20-2022 at 11:24 AM.

The Gaming Gangsta Master of Shinobi profholt82's Avatar

And there are many sellers on ebay asking far more reasonable prices for those same games. Not sure why you chose to give this asshat a platform. For just about any product you can think of, there are always d-bags who put stupid prices on them, trolling for idiots I guess. Just don't click on the listing and move on to another that is actually reasonable. If you want to know the real current market values of any of those games, then look at the sold listings.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert

mega CD Snatcher 1000 on eBay what the fuck last year I saw it for 400 multiple times

Quote Originally Posted by DarkKobold View Post
    This. People LOVE to blame sellers, but at the end of the day, it's the buyers who make the determination on whether or not they are willing to pay the price. Things like this are rare, but copies will build up if the market won't bear the prices.

If a game sells for $1000, there is no incentive for sellers to lower their prices, unless, of course it doesn't sell. Then someone lists the price for below another seller's price, and then someone else comes along and lowers the price further. Original seller sees his game isn't selling, and then sets it to the new low.

To be honest it's not giving someone a platform as the prices are so over inflated they are unlikely to drive the average price up. The post is more an opportunity to highlight the ridiculousness of it and to give those of us with morbid curiosity an opportunity to tune in.

As you say, there are plenty of copies of these games for significantly less so this seems to be a bizarre tactic rather than an effort at micro inflation.

Quote Originally Posted by Nano Babe View Post
    mega CD Snatcher 1000 on eBay what the fuck last year I saw it for 400 multiple times
    I've noticed over the past 6 months that the expensive games going up in asking price at what feels an accelerated rate. There seems to be far fewer copies being listed which won't help.

If supply is limited and remains more and more limited, and demand outstrips supply, then prices will continue to rise. Paying $1000 for a video game is stupid, but if people keep doing it then they are effectively setting the value. The real fault lies in the rights holders who refuse to re-release games that are in demand!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    The Sega Saturn was God's gift to humanity. This is inarguable fact!

Feedback Thread: http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...ack&highlight=

Lurker Raging in the Streets Tanegashima's Avatar

I'm gonna re-post my thoughts from the 32X forum:
    I just seem to remember well that when AVGN and Screw-Attack were gaining traction, the whole used game market changed. Suddenly YouTube was infested with retro-game reviewers and the prices started exploding. Just about everything out there could be found "in the wild" at thrift stores, flea-markets etc. for next to nothing. There was still definitely rare and expensive stuff: Saturn, Turbografx CD, Neo Geo AES were very expensive and hard to find and expensive but nothing like today. Everything was very accessible back then and the really failed systems were very cheap. You could get FZ-1 Panasonic 3DO systems in the box, unopened NOS for $99 from game stores that specialized in "retro" games (like Game Dude which was a huge retailer out here in North Hollywood) and they always had a healthy selection of CIB games from 3DO/Jaguar/Sega CD/32X for under $25 for most of the libraries. Game Dude is still around but they are cleaned out of retro games, completely.

I mean they sold CIB Vectorman for $1.99 back then-not joking. I think because "Nerd Culture" has been normalized and is a "thing" and the uninitiated have been exposed to all of this stuff it has become a life-style for a lot of people. I would never consider myself a member of the "nerd" community despite the fact that I am undoubtedly one I never collected games just to "collect." I wanted to play and own all the stuff I could never afford when I was growing up-having done that I realized why most of these systems failed and just was very content to keep my Sega Genesis/Sega CD and 32X and I sold everything else. I made some decent money, but for me it was never about the money I was just being nostalgic.

I have a great, tidy and modest collection I'm super happy with and I do not collect at all anymore. I bought he Neo Geo Mini and the Sega Genesis Mini just to have them, but I'm mostly done. I play video games a few times a year at best anymore and I'll still fire up something and play through it and enjoy it. I'm rambling, but I truly think that all of this has become a "culture" in and of itself, a full life-style and pricing will never go back to what it was-its not about nostalgia its a culture now and that will keep prices high. Who knows, that's my 2 cents having experienced such a great time to collect for systems I had no access to growing up-but I don't think those days will ever ever return. I could be dead wrong--but the internet seems to lend life-support to things that would be better off dead (like this forum apparently).

There Can Only Be One
    He Will Rise Again (Once I've Located The Original Signatures )

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert ITViking's Avatar

If a person wanted to get an idea of pricing changes over the years, you could try an online archive for websites like the The Way Back Machine, and point it eBay from 10 years ago, etc.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingSports Talker HyperSnugz's Avatar

Tanegashima worded it beautifully. I can't even add to it any further.
    The 32X deserved to exist, if only to pave the way for the creation of the best waifu ever.

It's true...the minute nerd culture became cool and video games became mainstream, it became a lifestyle thing to make youtube videos with a literal wall of retro video games behind you. Now guys have podcasts bragging about how rare some game they own is. Its like the Honus Wagner card effect but for the millennials.
    Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    The Sega Saturn was God's gift to humanity. This is inarguable fact!

Feedback Thread: http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...ack&highlight=

Hero of Algol

Quote Originally Posted by Tanegashima View Post
    I'm gonna re-post my thoughts from the 32X forum:
    I just seem to remember well that when AVGN and Screw-Attack were gaining traction, the whole used game market changed. Suddenly YouTube was infested with retro-game reviewers and the prices started exploding. Just about everything out there could be found "in the wild" at thrift stores, flea-markets etc. for next to nothing. There was still definitely rare and expensive stuff: Saturn, Turbografx CD, Neo Geo AES were very expensive and hard to find and expensive but nothing like today. Everything was very accessible back then and the really failed systems were very cheap. You could get FZ-1 Panasonic 3DO systems in the box, unopened NOS for $99 from game stores that specialized in "retro" games (like Game Dude which was a huge retailer out here in North Hollywood) and they always had a healthy selection of CIB games from 3DO/Jaguar/Sega CD/32X for under $25 for most of the libraries. Game Dude is still around but they are cleaned out of retro games, completely.

I mean they sold CIB Vectorman for $1.99 back then-not joking. I think because "Nerd Culture" has been normalized and is a "thing" and the uninitiated have been exposed to all of this stuff it has become a life-style for a lot of people. I would never consider myself a member of the "nerd" community despite the fact that I am undoubtedly one I never collected games just to "collect." I wanted to play and own all the stuff I could never afford when I was growing up-having done that I realized why most of these systems failed and just was very content to keep my Sega Genesis/Sega CD and 32X and I sold everything else. I made some decent money, but for me it was never about the money I was just being nostalgic.

I have a great, tidy and modest collection I'm super happy with and I do not collect at all anymore. I bought he Neo Geo Mini and the Sega Genesis Mini just to have them, but I'm mostly done. I play video games a few times a year at best anymore and I'll still fire up something and play through it and enjoy it. I'm rambling, but I truly think that all of this has become a "culture" in and of itself, a full life-style and pricing will never go back to what it was-its not about nostalgia its a culture now and that will keep prices high. Who knows, that's my 2 cents having experienced such a great time to collect for systems I had no access to growing up-but I don't think those days will ever ever return. I could be dead wrong--but the internet seems to lend life-support to things that would be better off dead (like this forum apparently).
    QFT.
    I'd just add that collecting seems to have become synonymy with "going for a full set" which is another idiotic thing of the current times and with dire consequences for those who were just trying to curate/build a collection made by games that really fit their preferences.
    This mentality of colleting everything / accumulating as many physical releases as possible is also what allows terrible homebrew games to be sold for $70+.
    It's all very nonsensical, idiotic and expensive IMO; but a lot of people seem to be enjoying to burn money this way.

Quote Originally Posted by Barone View Post
    QFT.
    I'd just add that collecting seems to have become synonymy with "going for a full set" which is another idiotic thing of the current times and with dire consequences for those who were just trying to curate/build a collection made by games that really fit their preferences.
    This mentality of colleting everything / accumulating as many physical releases as possible is also what allows terrible homebrew games to be sold for $70+.
    It's all very nonsensical, idiotic and expensive IMO; but a lot of people seem to be enjoying to burn money this way.
    Collecting for collecting's sake. I've never understood not playing the games and just having them sitting on a shelf. Had I ever been that way inclined or considered rarity, I would have had a complete PAL set 15+ years ago but instead I bought to play and so the frequency of purchases fluctuated.

Tanegashima is correct that the advent of streaming/YouTube channels/'influencers' has turned this once niche area into something 'cool'. The more people that get caught up in the collecting scene, the less there is available to purchase and ultimately the more the price increases. I sit firmly in the camp that we will never see the prices decrease, certainly not significantly.

Anyhoo - I'd be shocked if that eBay seller actually shifts their stuff at the ridiculous asking prices, but it's highlighting the mindset of those that are seeing the 16-bit era as a lucrative area and trying to manipulate market prices.

EDIT - fat finger typos

Thread Information